Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #1

Thumbs down Deceptive Pricing @ Truck Stops

Couldn't find if this has been discussed before so here goes. Recently stopped at a Pilot/Flying J in Indiana when I saw a price on the interstate sign. It was $3.96 but was the lowest of any stations I'd seen. Stopped, fueled up, and after a burger I was on my way home. Later when checking receipts in my pocket before pitching them, I noticed that on the Flying J receipt I was charged $4.189 per gallon not the price on the signage.

With a follow up call to the station and a complaint to their corp HQ I found out that for diesel they post the "non-taxable" price that is what commercial truckers pay. The AD [auto diesel] that consumers, including RV's, is much higher as it includes the taxes. In my case that was a plus 24 cents per gallon making it higher than any other station up and down the road. Did some investigation on-line and found that this was a common complaint. As a new diesel owner [2010 2500HD Silverado] I might be the last to find this out, the hard way.

Don't know if this is the practice at truck stops in other states, but in Indiana I was told all truck stops are required to post the non-tax price.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #2

Don't know if this was the true in the above case, but most of the Flying J's I see in Indiana have roadside signs which alternately flash taxable/non-taxable diesel prices.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I wasn't aware of that, but I don't have a diesel..... yet.

Can't wait to tell my BIL, up until a couple of years ago he had to keep reminding me that diesel fuel was cheaper then unleaded.........., this should be a Kodak moment

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird47 View Post
Don't know if this was the true in the above case, but most of the Flying J's I see in Indiana have roadside signs which alternately flash taxable/non-taxable diesel prices.
Most of what I've seen on the flashing signs are "Cash and Credit" prices that usually vary by about 5 cents. Definitely correct with my original post. I got a response from Corp HG who tried to explain how the "non-tax" pricing. The fact that he explained was that less than 5% of their diesel sales is to commercial truckers. Note that gas pricing does not use the non-tax method on their signage, just diesel.

Will pay more attention to the non truck stop stations and start logging which brands typically have RV friendly layouts. I'm 54' total for TT and TV so I have to be careful before pulling in. This is a 50/50% with standard stations. With an oversized fuel capacity, you can easily spend $25 to $40 more per fill if you pull into one of these truck stops, thinking you are saving money.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #5

Correction to my last post. Truck stops sell less than 5% of their diesel to consumer vehicles.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
... up until a couple of years ago he had to keep reminding me that diesel fuel was cheaper then unleaded ...
When I bought my first diesel back in 1996, diesel fuel in PA was less than $1.00/gal. while regular unleaded gasoline was hovering around $1.25. Today, not only does diesel fuel cost more than a gallon of premium unleaded, it's now taxed higher than gasoline too.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #7

I.ve experIenced this in different states too.

I use a couple apps on my phone. The favorite is gas buddy. It is my go to fuel app. It is a user driven fuel price database. People record actual prices at fill-up. I am really enjoying the AAA Trip Planner app when traveling. I think it lists fuel prices for select stations that report to AAA. The other advantage is the AAA app does route planning and also includes other things like campground, restaurants, etc.
Luvthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #8

We filled up at a truckstop once and payed at the pump (where the semis fuel up), later found they put a temporary $500 charge on our card to "test" our account. We go in and pay now to avoid that. We were on a cross country trip and might have maxed out our card with temporary charges.
Cookies Cleared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

I stay away from truck stops and just pick a nice regular gas station that sells diesel.the Restrooms and the diesel pumps are cleaner and nicer. I really think trucker see how nasty they can get the diesel pump handle for the next guy
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinglife2 View Post
I stay away from truck stops and just pick a nice regular gas station that sells diesel.the Restrooms and the diesel pumps are cleaner and nicer. I really think trucker see how nasty they can get the diesel pump handle for the next guy
I just hate pulling off the interstate not knowing if my rig will fit, at least at truck stops you know. The best is when they have the RV islands.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Couldn't find if this has been discussed before so here goes. Recently stopped at a Pilot/Flying J in Indiana when I saw a price on the interstate sign. It was $3.96 but was the lowest of any stations I'd seen. Stopped, fueled up, and after a burger I was on my way home. Later when checking receipts in my pocket before pitching them, I noticed that on the Flying J receipt I was charged $4.189 per gallon not the price on the signage.

With a follow up call to the station and a complaint to their corp HQ I found out that for diesel they post the "non-taxable" price that is what commercial truckers pay. The AD [auto diesel] that consumers, including RV's, is much higher as it includes the taxes. In my case that was a plus 24 cents per gallon making it higher than any other station up and down the road. Did some investigation on-line and found that this was a common complaint. As a new diesel owner [2010 2500HD Silverado] I might be the last to find this out, the hard way.

Don't know if this is the practice at truck stops in other states, but in Indiana I was told all truck stops are required to post the non-tax price.
Many years ago I experienced the same thing (in Indiana IIRC), but I caught it at the register.

I told the clerk that I would only pay the price posted on the pump. We got into a heated exchange. I asked how much a gallon of milk was. He told me and I replied what prevents you from charging 50 cents more than the posted price for that milk. He said because that would be against the law. I then asked why he was doing the same thing with diesel fuel by charging me more than the posted price on the pump? "Because that is the way it works" he said. I put my money for the posted price on the counter and told him "here is what I am paying you and not a cent more". If you don't like it, call the police because what you are doing is deceptive and illegal. You can discount a posted price, but you cannot charge more.

In the end the guy gave up and I left feeling victorious.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #12

Most all your big name stations have the same layouts and put the diesel on the outside pumps. I've never had a problem pulling our old 33' bumper pull camper in and out of stations off the interstate, The ones I would stay out of are the ones that make you pull in then back out. Also the more that you travel and drive pulling a trailer the more comfortable you will be around gas stations. Just take your time and if you have to Waite on the little car getting gas at the diesel pump just relax no need to rush it and try to fit at a smaller pump. Also this is why it's important to take the time and learn how to back up your camper, you never know what's going to happen at a gas station, car in front of you won't start, beer semi blocks the exit ect. it's the small stations in town that can be tricky to get in and out with a trailer.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinglife2 View Post
Most all your big name stations have the same layouts and put the diesel on the outside pumps. The ones I would stay out of are the ones that make you pull in then back out. Just take your time and if you have to Waite on the little car getting gas at the diesel pump just relax no need to rush it and try to fit at a smaller pump. Also this is why it's important to take the time and learn how to back up your camper, you never know what's going to happen at a gas station, car in front of you won't start, beer semi blocks the exit ect. it's the small stations in town that can be tricky to get in and out with a trailer.

This is my point exactly. You pull in and all the cars go to the outside pumps so you wait for them blocking traffic while you wait. I prefer the big stations with dedicated truck/rv lanes. I see a Flying J or Pilot I know they have diesel and I can get in and out.

I have pulled off the interstate more than once to find I couldn't get in or out easily, just much easier to me to go to a place designed for trucks/RV's instead of cars.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
Many years ago I experienced the same thing (in Indiana IIRC), but I caught it at the register.

I told the clerk that I would only pay the price posted on the pump. We got into a heated exchange. I asked how much a gallon of milk was. He told me and I replied what prevents you from charging 50 cents more than the posted price for that milk. He said because that would be against the law. I then asked why he was doing the same thing with diesel fuel by charging me more than the posted price on the pump? "Because that is the way it works" he said. I put my money for the posted price on the counter and told him "here is what I am paying you and not a cent more". If you don't like it, call the police because what you are doing is deceptive and illegal. You can discount a posted price, but you cannot charge more.

In the end the guy gave up and I left feeling victorious.
Here's a hi five from me. I didn' notice until the day after i got home. Told the corp service rep who called me, that his stops have sold me their last burger, subway sandwich, Arby's or whatever they have inside. I'm taking my business and all my RV friends elsewhere. I urge all on here to move on. I understand the access thing, and some stations are too tight. I pick exits that have 2 or more stations posted so I can pick the one that is most open.

Your response to them at the cashier is priceless. Never thought of that approach but have used it in regular stores. Groceries are the worst at posting a price on the shelf and charging you something else at checkout. Love it when they have to hold up a long line to get someone to go back and check the merchandise lane for the posted price. Most of the time they will just take your word and do a price override. At the truck stops they know exactly what they are doing and simply hope most people won't notice. I didn't, but they got me for the last time.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #15

well I live in Indiana and know the truckstop your talking about but the non taxed price flashing is cash or credit and unless you are a tax exempt otr driver you don't get that option it would be nice though if they would also add what we the regular guys would have to pay before we pull in and have a heart attack lol
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
well I live in Indiana and know the truckstop your talking about but the non taxed price flashing is cash or credit and unless you are a tax exempt otr driver you don't get that option it would be nice though if they would also add what we the regular guys would have to pay before we pull in and have a heart attack lol
Cash or Credit maybe but like you said its not the price you'll pay. Stop at a previous exit or down the road at a non truck stop and the auto diesel was with in a nickle of the flashing price at the Flying J. No way they can justify the $4.189 I paid last week.

I say boycott the truck stops.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #17

well i know and usually i do shop price but i also look for a place i can get in and out of with my trailer whether it be my car hauler or my tt either one poses predicaments in a lot of cases ... sometimes worth my piece of mind to just pay the piper
Old 05-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #18

ps and if i am going to ky to drop off a car i try to make it over the line the diesel is cheaper in ky go figure
Old 05-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
well i know and usually i do shop price but i also look for a place i can get in and out of with my trailer whether it be my car hauler or my tt either one poses predicaments in a lot of cases ... sometimes worth my piece of mind to just pay the piper
That be me. I don't want the aggravation of driving around to save pennies on the gallon. Get in where it is easy and move on. If I have to stew about a few extra bucks while towing I probably should not be doing this. Now if we were talking about hundreds of dollars but for pocket lint...forgetaboutit...YMMV
Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvthenw View Post
I use a couple apps on my phone. The favorite is gas buddy. It is my go to fuel app. It is a user driven fuel price database. People record actual prices at fill-up. I am really enjoying the AAA Trip Planner app when traveling. I think it lists fuel prices for select stations that report to AAA. The other advantage is the AAA app does route planning and also includes other things like campground, restaurants, etc.
Gas Buddy also has a trip cost calculator option at their website that does a good job of planning your trip to hit the lowest gas prices based on teh mpg of your vehicle.

Flying J has a Trip planner at their website as well.