Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: what do you tow with?
Diesel 95 63.33%
gas 55 36.67%
other 0 0%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #21

Gas here, trips are getting longer in distance and in time as the kids are getting older, so we will most likely move into 3/4 ton gas as the next TV - don't see camper getting bigger and I simply do not have experience with diesel.

3 kids; 6/8/10 yo

2005-2013:
TT = 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B, TV = 2005 Trailblazer EXT (5.3L)

2013-present (see sig)
TT = 2013 Jayco28BHS, TV = 2010 Tundra CrewMax
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2003 Kiwi 23B (first camper - 8 seasons)
Jayco28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooDoo View Post
I pulled with a gasser for years and thought it did fine, but once I switched to a diesel 12 years ago, I won't go back. The mileage, power, easy to add power, but really it's just you don't ever have to floor it. Hardly ever more than 1/2 throttle. And I haven't experienced this more maintenance thing everyone talks about. Cost me $50 to change my oil twice a year.
I'm right there with ya. That's more of a non-diesel owners myth than it is fact. Oil change, fuel filter, air filter are all the same things I had to do with my gassers too.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #23

I'm in a 1/2 ton gasser now, but later when the roaming range increases with the kid's age, I'll likely be looking REALLY close at a diesel. I think (at least this is MY perception) that the "more maintenance" thing is a bit different for newer diesels. It's no longer just the oil (which has always been more expensive transactionally, but about the same over time), but now you have DEF to deal with along with some additional filters and various other EPA mandated add-ons. It seems with this new stuff, the "maintenance differential" between gas and diesel is spreading. Again, I have no first hand knowledge of such things, but that is my perception. With my gasser, I just change the oil when the DIC says "30% Oil Life Remaining" and knock the dirt out of my K&N once a year.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #24

I dont understand the maintenance thing and cost comparison...I really dont. Yes diesels cost more, and oil changes and fuel filter changes, etc cost more...you also have a lot more power, and smooth torque in the diesel and better MPG. All of these things really cant be argued...bottom line if you want a diesel and can spend the money, do it...if not, stick with gas...but to justify one or the other is a waste of energy imo.

I had a 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi...I sold it and ordered a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins and love every minute of it and cannot see myself going back to a 1/2 ton gasser ever....highly doubt I would go back to any gasser in a truck to be honest with you. Sure it cost me 8k more when I bought it and my service charges might well be $400 for oil and fuel filters, etc Whenever I need new tires on it they might well be a good bit over $1,000......I knew that going in and have no qualms about paying it...that is the cost of doing business imo and a diesel is well worth it to me. To each their own
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #25
Site Team

A lot of the engine (and truck) decisions are made based upon what you're currently towing. I'm sure a number of folks questioned my mental integrity when I traded in my 1989 Chevy Silverado 1500 for my first diesel, a Ford F-250 PowerStroke back in 1996, to tow a 1/2 ton Coleman Laramie pop-up. However, little did they realize at the time that my "game plan" was to eventually move up to a TT. It happened four years later when I bought the Jayco Eagle 266 FBS that has a GVWR of 8,500 pounds!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #26

Changed my tow vehicle from gas to a diesel!
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #27

Diesel tow a 40 ft pinnacle with a SXS behind that ! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418506104.076972.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	16179
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton4971 View Post
Diesel tow a 40 ft pinnacle with a SXS behind that ! Attachment 16179
how far can you back that rig up? Always wondered how many states allow that. I guess they only let you do that with a 5er? Or do some states let you have a double tag along train? You must have to be careful about over length too.......Anyhow......back to topic.....I bought my '04 gmc 2500hd duramax when diesel was cheaper than 87. Soon as I did it shot up higher than premium and stayed there. Worked out ok though, I've since bought a 7x14 dump trailer and for a cuople of years working on my new home ,hauled 18,000 lb loads of rock and stone (load and trailer) up an 1,800 foot hill. Now I'll use it for my new jayco Octane.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
how far can you back that rig up? Always wondered how many states allow that. I guess they only let you do that with a 5er? Or do some states let you have a double tag along train? You must have to be careful about over length too.......Anyhow......back to topic.....I bought my '04 gmc 2500hd duramax when diesel was cheaper than 87. Soon as I did it shot up higher than premium and stayed there. Worked out ok though, I've since bought a 7x14 dump trailer and for a cuople of years working on my new home ,hauled 18,000 lb loads of rock and stone (load and trailer) up an 1,800 foot hill. Now I'll use it for my new jayco Octane.

I did back up about 30 ft last year and was still straight but that was all luck . Most states it is 65ft some 70ft some not at all . In Michigan we are allowed 75Ft now and you have to have a R endorsement on your license . It is amazing how well it tows .
Old 12-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #30

Diesel here, haven't actually towed with it yet but bought it specifically for pulling the new RV. Ordered a 2015 Ram 2500 Limited Mega Cab and picked it up about a month ago. Really like the truck so far. Once the new Octane is delivered at the end of January I will get to see how well it does towing its first heavy load. This is my first diesel and first RV. Cant wait to get loaded and get outta town!
tripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #31

I find Gas vs Diesel threads tiring.
This isn't one per say but the answers are
predictable.
I have 3/4 ton for added towing stability.
I have a Gas engine because I only tow 6500-7000lbs and didn't
want to pay extra for a Diesel. Simple.
If I was towing north of 9000lbs I would want a Diesel.

I haven't driven the current crop of Diesels but have towed and driven previous versions. They tow very well.
The current crop of Gas engines also tow well.
I don't think most Gas trucks owners would deny that Diesels are a better option for heavy towing.

Whats tiring with these threads is it's treated like its a black or white answer, when there is alot of gray in between.

Off my soapbox, thank you.

Previous camper-2010 Starcraft Travel Star Sport 175RK
Previous TV-2008 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcamper View Post
I find Gas vs Diesel threads tiring.
This isn't one per say but the answers are
predictable.
I have 3/4 ton for added towing stability.
I have a Gas engine because I only tow 6500-7000lbs and didn't
want to pay extra for a Diesel. Simple.
If I was towing north of 9000lbs I would want a Diesel.

I haven't driven the current crop of Diesels but have towed and driven previous versions. They tow very well.
The current crop of Gas engines also tow well.
I don't think most Gas trucks owners would deny that Diesels are a better option for heavy towing.

Whats tiring with these threads is it's treated like its a black or white answer, when there is alot of gray in between.

Off my soapbox, thank you.
I started this poll and the diesel vs gas thread also. The reason why I did was because I was in the market for a new truck. However I only tow a 5000lb load. I wanted to get peoples opinion on the two trucks. After doing both threads it had enabled me to make an informed decision on what to buy. I hope these threads help others decide what to buy as well. So if your tried of it don't read them. I was excited to share what my decision was. Yes it's a diesel !!! And wanted to update my vote. Sorry if you find it tiring.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
I started this poll and the diesel vs gas thread also. The reason why I did was because I was in the market for a new truck. However I only tow a 5000lb load. I wanted to get peoples opinion on the two trucks. After doing both threads it had enabled me to make an informed decision on what to buy. I hope these threads help others decide what to buy as well. So if your tried of it don't read them. I was excited to share what my decision was. Yes it's a diesel !!! And wanted to update my vote. Sorry if you find it tiring.

X-2
Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #34

Quote:
x3
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #35

Quote:
My intent wasn't to attack your motives of this thread. I think your thoughts are
valid.
To clarify, It's the negative responses I find tiring. I to like to get good information as well.

Previous camper-2010 Starcraft Travel Star Sport 175RK
Previous TV-2008 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleB View Post
Diesel here, haven't actually towed with it yet but bought it specifically for pulling the new RV. Ordered a 2015 Ram 2500 Limited Mega Cab and picked it up about a month ago. Really like the truck so far. Once the new Octane is delivered at the end of January I will get to see how well it does towing its first heavy load. This is my first diesel and first RV. Cant wait to get loaded and get outta town!
You should be getting your Octane about the same time as me. They screwed up the wood color on mine,as you may have noticed in other posts. My new date is Jan. 22. Have a 2 week reservation in Collier-seminiole S.P. in S.W. Fla. March 3rd. Should be plenty sick of winter by then.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote