Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

Diesel Power Modules

Good morning campers. I have a 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins pulling a Seismic 4212 that weighs around 16,000 empty. Getting anywhere from 8-9 mpg. Can't really complain about that but always trying to get better mpg. Anyone had experience installing power modules that helped on mpg? Most I see are plug and play and are around $500 to $600. Hard to justify cost if they don't help! Thanks for any help.
Lukiecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #2

By power module do you mean tuner? Tuner really prove their worth if you can get rid of all the EPA emissions crap. I have a buddy who did a delete on his '12 f250. He now gets almost 21 mpg empty and 12-13.5 towing. I'm going to do mine after I hit 100k miles.
You may not be able to delete depending on where you live. Also, with a new truck, I would wait until the warranty has expired.
If this power module is different from a tuner, I would still caution you about using it with a truck under warranty. If anything were to go south on the truck, the dealer could deny warranty because of the module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #3

Agreed with Tom. Unfortunately the EPA killed the diesel a bit with Tier IV emissions back in 2009. A tuner will see more hp/tq and mpg gains once you lose that DPF and EGR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #4

Thanks for your input. Most of the products I looked at advertise if you are taking your truck to dealer for warranty work you just unplug module and dealer never knows. Some how I doubt that works that way. I'll keep on the hunt for better mpg. Again thanks for your help.
Lukiecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukiecole View Post
Thanks for your input. Most of the products I looked at advertise if you are taking your truck to dealer for warranty work you just unplug module and dealer never knows. Some how I doubt that works that way.
Not sure about DODGE, but GM can just read the ECM and based on several variables, EGT being one, know about any tunes, or modules. They actually sent out a dealer bulletin on what to look for.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

Ram can supposedly do the same thing, even with tuners like the Edge that modify the signal between the ECM and engine. Somehow they can see past parimeters and tell that its outside the normal operation, even if the ECM is clean.

Dont expect the DEF cummins to gain much, if any fuel mileage with deletes. The Pre-DEF injected cummins would gain atleast a couple MPG usually, but the 13+ DEF trucks dont. I deleted mine; egr, dpf, scr, & def all gone. I didn't do it for fuel mileage...but i noticed about a .5 mpg increase on the interstate when empty. I also dont drive with fuel mileage in mind so someone else might get a bit better results. I also got the transmission tuning so its not lugging around in 6th gear all the time and strings all the shifts out futher. I used EFIlive. I deleted with 40k miles and 2 years of warranty left and couldn't be happier. If you cant afford a major out of pocket repair ( just incase) I suggest waiting until the warranty period is over.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
Ram can supposedly do the same thing, even with tuners like the Edge that modify the signal between the ECM and engine. Somehow they can see past parimeters and tell that its outside the normal operation, even if the ECM is clean.

Dont expect the DEF cummins to gain much, if any fuel mileage with deletes. The Pre-DEF injected cummins would gain atleast a couple MPG usually, but the 13+ DEF trucks dont. I deleted mine; egr, dpf, scr, & def all gone. I didn't do it for fuel mileage...but i noticed about a .5 mpg increase on the interstate when empty. I also dont drive with fuel mileage in mind so someone else might get a bit better results. I also got the transmission tuning so its not lugging around in 6th gear all the time and strings all the shifts out futher. I used EFIlive. I deleted with 40k miles and 2 years of warranty left and couldn't be happier. If you cant afford a major out of pocket repair ( just incase) I suggest waiting until the warranty period is over.
Why would you run around in 6th all the time if you don't want too? Just use the toggle on the column shifter and select 5th or 4th. When I'm towing on the hwy I lock out 6th and TH mode.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Why would you run around in 6th all the time if you don't want too? Just use the toggle on the column shifter and select 5th or 4th. When I'm towing on the hwy I lock out 6th and TH mode.
Because I dont want too and shouldn't have too use the ERS buttons on normal driving. Also have 2 Fords and 3 Chevys and they're always in the right gear on their own, now the Ram is too.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:55 AM   #9

I would love too Do a (delete ) on our 2014 Ram,but I prefer to keep my warranty
after 100k miles we will see .Only 50K now
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
I certainly haven't done tuners for just mpg, but have always come out on the positive for that. That being said, once you tow with a truck that has a really good custom tow tune, you'll never want to go back, EVERY aspect of the experience of towing has always been very noticeably better. Power, acceration, maintaining speed, shifting strategy and firmness, engine temp and especially exhaust temps have always improved with good tunes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahM View Post
I certainly haven't done tuners for just mpg, but have always come out on the positive for that. That being said, once you tow with a truck that has a really good custom tow tune, you'll never want to go back, EVERY aspect of the experience of towing has always been very noticeably better. Power, acceration, maintaining speed, shifting strategy and firmness, engine temp and especially exhaust temps have always improved with good tunes.

I have always wondered why people tune their trucks. I guess what you say makes sense, but with my 15 F-350, I just don't understand what is lacking in stock form. The 6.7 has a ton of power and I think it tows pretty darn well stock.

Just don't see how it gets much better...
Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I have always wondered why people tune their trucks. I guess what you say makes sense, but with my 15 F-350, I just don't understand what is lacking in stock form. The 6.7 has a ton of power and I think it tows pretty darn well stock.

It's not that it's lacking, it's how much potential you have left. You'll be fine if you never drive or tow with a tuned truck. The difference is so noticeable though, I'm one of those kinda guys if it can be better, it will be better. You'd be surprised how much improvement is left on the table, especially with your 15.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #13

Even if you just did trans tuning, land left the power stock, you'd be surprised. That alone will make a seat of the pants difference and you'll even think you gained more power

Old 04-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post

A lot of people just do it for a hobby. My truck had plenty of power stock too. I was having some emission issues I got tired of messing with, so that was my main reason for deleting. As of 3-30-2017 Ram has released the T05 SCR recall for the 13-15 3500 cummins trucks....so that would have likely fixed me up, but now I know im fixed permanently of that.

The 6.7 Fords do have plenty of power, and probably the best trans out of the box.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #15

The 11-14 ford trans was slightly better, as the newer ones had some clutch packs removed, but yes, as far as stock trans, that's definitely one area where ford has left the other two way in the dust

Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #16

I would leave it alone. The only mod I did on my 14 CTD is the BD throttle sensitivity tuner. The pedal response on the CTD was lackluster and I felt a safety issue pulling out in traffic. The power delay was to severe IMHO and once I did this mod I was very happy. Mine is set at 50% and that is perfect for my needs. The dealer does not say a word about it when I am in for warranty work. It does not change the tune on the engine just the response from the pedal.

My 03 PSD F350 I put 4" turbo back exhaust and tuned. That truck needed it and it did make a huge difference in power and economy overall. I gained 2MPG daily driving. Most of it came from the exhaust mod.

I agree with all above comments in that unless you fully delete the truck your not going to gain much in economy with a tune. My truck is a Max tow and 10.5MPG is what I avg towing. It has an additional boost in power from the factory already at 385HP and 850 ft/lbs torque. The trade off is that I have all the power I need stock.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #17

Yeah, the older trucks definitely benefit from the tunes, as they bring them to where the new trucks are, or slightly better as far as power goes. As for mpg pulling our 13k 5th wheel, I got nearly 13.5 back in the fall going up into the NC and TN mountains, however we encountered a lot of cross winds on our way back from that trip and it dropped all the way to 10 mpg