Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Spending 60k on a truck and 25-30k on a trailer, 2500 or so for a pro pride or Hensley is cheap IMO. I have never, ever heard of anyone that used one of those hitches who sold it for something else ( aside from a fifth) or didn't think it was worth it. I would certainly pay for and use one (propride would be my choice)
This statement certainly makes sense, and while I do agree with you, not everyone has $2,500 laying around that they can spend on a hitch. I certainly didn't, and I went three years on a dual cam without any problems. I didn't have any sway troubles before, but I've always wanted one of these hitches mainly because I can't help but to continually tinker and improve whatever it is that I have (already installed extra leveling jacks and a steadyfast system on the trailer). I finally found a used one that I could afford, which makes the hitch all that much better to me!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraplx View Post
I can only speak from my personal experience regarding the Hensley Arrow, and I can tell you the experience towing is very different from a traditional friction style WDH setup. I initially started out using a Equalizer brand 10k lbs friction sway control setup on my 28BHS with my 2008 Dodge Durango 4x4, and I felt uncomfortable in several towing situations. These unpleasant experiences included every time I was passed by a tractor trailer, or larger vehicle, and in gusty wind conditions. What really pushed me over the edge was a towing experience where I was headed into a 20 MPH sustained head wind with 40 MPH gusts. When I was headed into the wind, I knew it was blowing, but I didn't realize how hard. As our trip was nearing completion I had to turn perpendicular to the wind, and my towing experience became very unstable. I was on HYW 99 going 40 MPH trying to keep the TV and TT in my own lane. When we got home my wife asked if I was okay, because as she described it, I just stopped talking.

After towing in those windy conditions I knew I had to make a change. Initially I though I would invest in a different TV, but my budget didn't match my desires, so I decided to starting google'ing trailer sway solutions, and I found the Hensley Arrow. Since the installation of the HA, my towing experiences have been down right pleasant despite towing in very similar wind conditions on the Grape Vine recently. Simply put, the Hensley Arrow does what is advertised in my mind, it eliminates trailer induced sway via physics.

Although I truly love the safety provided by my HA, it can be a bit of a pain in the butt to use, specifically hitching on an non-level surface. Additionally the HA design dictates that brakes must be used instead of engine braking. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the hitch, but I would not hesitate to recommend the setup to a fellow TT owner.
Very well said. This is exactly the Hensley experience...including the non-level hitching part!....But it is totally worth it!
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster[/I]
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #23

I can't speak for the Hensley as I don't have one nor do I have any experience with one. I have done a TON of research and the best bang for my buck was the Reese Dual-cam set up. I started out with a single friction bar and it wasn't enough. I added a second friction bar on the left side of the hitch and it still didn't feel comfortable. A friend of mine upgraded to a fifth wheel and sold me his Dual-cam...very happy!! Passing trucks, crosswinds and twisty mountain interstates are no longer a "white knuckle" drive for us. I would have gotten the Hensley or Pro Pride if money allowed but it just wasn't there. I have the means to get one now but we are planning on upgrading to a fifth within a year or so.
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #24

i had the equalizer E2 and it was great, no issues with sway and towed much better then without i highly recommend it to anyone looking
and with the power tongue jack it took no time to hook and unhook it
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
In a word: Awesome. I never felt any buffeting from big trucks, there was no "suck in" when they passed or I passed them, the trailer was unaffected by anything we take as the "normal" disturbances. I could not be more pleased. For the next eight years, the Hensley meant that I did not worry about my trailer going out of control, EVER. It provided great peace of mind, and in a very proactive way.
This is my exact experience using the Propride! I never feel like there is ever any disturbance on the truck or trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
I was wondering those who have a Hensley or Pro Ride tow system. Does it work, how do you like it and was it worth the price. Considering buying one but the price is high. If they are really with it, then I would pro ally get one. But then witch out of the two is better.
One thing you need to look into is whether or not you can use the HA or Propride on the Eagle trailer. Due to the rounded bubble on the front end, you may not be able to use the upright jacks on the HA or Propride. There is one member here who bought one and had to sell it and go back to a standard WDH due to the front end shape of the Eagle.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #26

When I had a trailer, I bought the Hensley. It was a remarkable improvement over the standard tow bar with stabilizer bar. If I were to go the trailer route ever again (doubtful), I'd buy the Hensley without hesitation. When I got rid of my trailer, Hensley purchased the unit back from me (and paid the shipping). Yes, I might have been able to sell it for more than they gave me, but I didn't have to put up with the hassle of doing so. Worth every penny, IMO.
carlharsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #27

I owned a Hensley hitch that I pulled my Jayco JayFlight 29BHS. I have pulled trailers for years and have used friction sway control. When I got a Hensley it saved me when we got caught in a snow storm. We were cut of by a small SUV on compact snow and ice. I hit the brakes and the ABS kicked in. Of course the trailer brakes locked up. Because of the Hensley hitch the trailer stayed right behind me. You can't even use a friction sway control unit in compact snow and ice because it can prevent you from turning. Every time a semi blew past me or on extremely windy days 50+ MPH side winds the Hensley hitch did its job! I my opinion there is no substitute!
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote