Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #1

Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L

I am contemplating buying a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX with the 4.7L engine. Haven't seen the truck in person, but the ad says nothing about a tow package. If I did buy this truck, would it be a good idea to put an aux transmission and oil cooler on it? If so, what would the cost be?

We are leaning toward a Jayco 1007 popup.

Thanks.
BT
Jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #2

It most likely doesn't have a tow package. It may not even have a hitch, but there are very few trucks they sell these days without hitches. You won't need an oil cooler, but an auxiliary tranny cooler is always a good idea, no matter how much or little weight you are pulling. If you are handy, you can install one yourself for under $100; if not, you'll probably be around $250 for parts and labor.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #3

Tranny cooler is never a bad idea. As far as the 4.7, it is a great motor. My last pickup was a 2008 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 and I used it to pull my trailer, which at the time was a popup. That dodge was a great truck. I have since upgraded tow vehicles and moved up to a travel trailer. Just realize, if you ever move up to a travel trailer, the tow rating with the 4.7 may limit you on what trailers you can tow. Happy Camping!
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
OkieCamperFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #4

jebster--- Just as an fyi -- you get a lot more than a tranny cooler with a tow package, you may want to see what other upgrades a tow package offers on other Ram models like tires etc etc.Larry
Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
jebster--- Just as an fyi -- you get a lot more than a tranny cooler with a tow package, you may want to see what other upgrades a tow package offers on other Ram models like tires etc etc.Larry
Agreed. You'll get a tranny cooler, maybe an engine oil cooler, tow/haul function and usually a lower gear rear end. I would never consider any truck to be used as a TV if it didn't have the tow package. It's a relatively low cost option, standard on many trucks, and certainly cheaper than adding the components aftermarket. I would also consider the hemi if you are really sold on Dodge. FWIW, I pulled a 22FB with a Tundra 4.6L(not much smaller) and even pulling 5000lbs(the truck was rated to pull 8000lbs), I felt it was marginal. My Tundra 5.7L pulls 8000lbs with plenty left over. When you are towing across Colorado on I70, there's no substitute for cubic inches, horsepower and torque.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #6

So we worked out a deal on a new Dodge Ram 1500 QC with a Hemi this weekend. Should get it the middle of this week since they didn't have it on their lot. Shouldn't have much trouble towing with it.

Thanks for all the advice.

BT
Jebster is offline   Reply With Quote