Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #1

E2 Hitch Problem

After about 1000 miles of pulling the travel trailer, the L brackets that hold the sway/load bars loosen. This allows the bracket to swing about half an inch on the bottom where the bars make contact.

The L brackets are attached by two bolts about an inch apart. The lever arm to the bottom of the L seems to be too much. The nuts holding the brackets are low profile, I will install bigger nuts, but I don't think that will fix it. There is a quarter inch of stud protruding through the nut.

The nuts loosed to hand tight in 300 miles. There was no washer installed.

One fix could be adding some U bolts between lower section of the L bracket and the tongue mounting bracket to stop it from moving.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

23MB Jay Flight
Fairbanks AK
Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #2

I have had the similar problem. It looks like equalizer has made a one size fits all. My (j feather) frame is 4 3/8 high and maybe the same as yours. The standard trailers are probably bigger so there's no or little gap. You could check with equalizer and see what there suggestion might be. I found a similar post on a search here. "check loose wd hitch bolts"
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #3

I put a longer bolt through the lowest hole, with washers to space the L bracket correctly. I also put standard size nuts on the attachment studs.

Part of the problem is the holes in the L bracket are about 1/8th inch bigger than the studs they sit on. This makes a really sloppy fit, add to that the small low profile nuts that can't be torqued much, no wonder it failed. It's a really crappy design. Now the L brackets are held top and bottom.

It did take 1000 miles to wallow out, maybe E2 thinks that's all people will tow.

23MB Jay Flight
Fairbanks AK
Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

It might be a good thing the nuts are smaller or maybe people will snap the bolts trying to make it tight enough not to move. I know I was tightening mine more and more each time after every trip it moved. Once I saw the L bracket bending to much I figured it was time to do something. I did something similar but used a piece of square tubing with one hole for the bottom bolt to fill the gap. I bet what you did will stop or greatly reduce any shifting and you can also put in just enough washers so that the brackets don't bend to much. Mine hasn't shifted since my fix(6 trips). Good luck Alaska
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote