Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Are both your old truck and new truck the same wheelbase, same cab config, 4X4, gasoline, trim level, etc?
Yes, except the old was an LS w/16" rims, and the new an LT w/18" rims......., for the most part the same truck, just 14 years apart.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #22

Ecoboost will NOT slow you down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboosteagle View Post
ALJO - can you tell me about your experience with an F150 and similar trailer combo that your comment is based on? Not trying to call you out just curious on what your experience with 2009-2014 f150 was.
Short answer.... Ecoboost is great but won't slow you down. There aint no replacement for displacement!

I had the exact same setup. 2012 Ecoboost, long bed, max tow.
We towed our new 2014 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS from Florida to our home in Denver no problem ( except the 9mph gas mileage ). The trailer-tow stability control did kick in a couple times in windy Kansas, did its job.

Then later I loaded up with water (86 gallons), and my ATV in the bed of the truck and headed west for my elk hunting trip. The water & ATV (500lb) proved too much for the little Ecoboost. It was pegging hot going up I70 to the Eisenhower Tunnel but cooled down as soon as you came off the accelerator. Fair enough.

The problem was on the other side of the tunnel. I love the ecoboost engine but just isn't big enough to give any engine braking in the Colorado mountains. My brakes were smoking by the time I got stopped!. Even in first gear it kept accelerating. Had to put it in 4WD Low and crawl to the bottom.

The Eagle324BHTS is ~8500 dry So I figured I had probably 10k lbs. I knew I was pushing the limits ( 11k something).

(The ecoboost did OK with our older trailer which was like 6500lbs and had a smaller water tank).

So now I drive a 2011 F250 6.7l diesel with 160kmi. Life is good. Barely have to hit the brakes. Lesson learned the hard way. Luckily lived to tell the story.

BTW, They guys over at TFLtruck.com call that stretch of road the Eisenhower Gauntlet. And their Ecoboost brakes were considerably hot as well. Though not smoking. :-/

Unless you only tow on flat lands & tiny wee baby hills don't exceed ~75% of your towing capacity.
dsherrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsherrets View Post
Short answer.... Ecoboost is great but won't slow you down. There aint no replacement for displacement!

I had the exact same setup. 2012 Ecoboost, long bed, max tow.
We towed our new 2014 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS from Florida to our home in Denver no problem ( except the 9mph gas mileage ). The trailer-tow stability control did kick in a couple times in windy Kansas, did its job.

Then later I loaded up with water (86 gallons), and my ATV in the bed of the truck and headed west for my elk hunting trip. The water & ATV (500lb) proved too much for the little Ecoboost. It was pegging hot going up I70 to the Eisenhower Tunnel but cooled down as soon as you came off the accelerator. Fair enough.

The problem was on the other side of the tunnel. I love the ecoboost engine but just isn't big enough to give any engine braking in the Colorado mountains. My brakes were smoking by the time I got stopped!. Even in first gear it kept accelerating. Had to put it in 4WD Low and crawl to the bottom.

The Eagle324BHTS is ~8500 dry So I figured I had probably 10k lbs. I knew I was pushing the limits ( 11k something).

(The ecoboost did OK with our older trailer which was like 6500lbs and had a smaller water tank).

So now I drive a 2011 F250 6.7l diesel with 160kmi. Life is good. Barely have to hit the brakes. Lesson learned the hard way. Luckily lived to tell the story.

BTW, They guys over at TFLtruck.com call that stretch of road the Eisenhower Gauntlet. And their Ecoboost brakes were considerably hot as well. Though not smoking. :-/

Unless you only tow on flat lands & tiny wee baby hills don't exceed ~75% of your towing capacity.

or buy a 6.2L that has engine braking that works very well.. almost as good as my old 6.4 diesel...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #24

I'm a big EcoBoost fan and I would not pull anything larger or heavier than what I have now at 7K loaded and a 900-950 tongue weight.

My truck has the same specs as yours for gvwr and axles etc and my hitch is limited to 1150 tongue weight with a WDH. Yours is probably the same hitch (unless you've upgraded?) and your tongue weight exceeds that.