Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn73 View Post
We have a 2013 Ecobust F-150. It conked out on me the other day. I drove from -30 to about 0 in the morning. In the afternoon, after a stop and another short drive, I was heading out and the engine seemed to die. Would still run, but idle only. After filling with gas and putting gasline anitfreeze in, it still wasn`t willing to run. I shut it off, started it, and away it went! In extremely cold weather, the `check engine`light comes on, but will go out when it warms up.

Doesn`t much matter now, as I clobbered a big whitetail deer and it will be out of the running now for sometime for repairs.
Not cool, and the reason I avoided the ecobust at all costs. When it came time for a new pickup, ended up in a Ram because the 6.2 was just too **** costly at the end of the day. So now I have a decently powered simple V8, with a pitiful payload to contend with that I blow over with my tiny TT . A guy can't win anymore....
Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #22

What's the payload in the RAM? Did you weigh it at a CAT scale to be sure?

My F150 has 1496 per the placard on the door, however on the CAT scale it looks like I actually have around 1570 pounds. That's with no driver but a full 36 gallon tank of gas.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
What's the payload in the RAM? Did you weigh it at a CAT scale to be sure?

My F150 has 1496 per the placard on the door, however on the CAT scale it looks like I actually have around 1570 pounds. That's with no driver but a full 36 gallon tank of gas.
Yeah I weighed it. I have 200lbs and change more than what the placard states, so I actually have 1238lbs. Still going over, but what can you do? I can't buy what could be a time bomb vehicle and worry about the likelyhood of failures the whole time we're travelling with it, and I have a very sour taste in my mouth after our last three Fords, I can only take so much. Sure wish I could make an HD work for us, but for towing a measly 5500lbs short distances 6 days a year- can't justify it nor afford it.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
Yeah I weighed it. I have 200lbs and change more than what the placard states, so I actually have 1238lbs. Still going over, but what can you do? I can't buy what could be a time bomb vehicle and worry about the likelyhood of failures the whole time we're travelling with it, and I have a very sour taste in my mouth after our last three Fords, I can only take so much. Sure wish I could make an HD work for us, but for towing a measly 5500lbs short distances 6 days a year- can't justify it nor afford it.
I feel for you. I wanted a EB motor initially; its almost like a Siren call w/ the gobs of torque down low like a Diesel. Ford has some really good marketing for it and the durability videos are wild. In the end though I just did not want to be one of the guys w/ the stutter. This Coyote 5.0 engine is a ****ed fine engine in its own right.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #25

I wouldn't want to leave the impression that I don't like our EB 150. I do. It is nice and quiet and nimble. I drove both 250 and 150 trucks as police trucks, and you couldn't give me a 250. Just my impression. Maybe the real expensive ones would be okay, and I realize all the people who own and drive them probably like them.

I just thought they were awfully clumsy, especially for a police vehicle. The reason I bought a new F150 was because of the nice ride and quiet interior. The fact that I got an EB was because that particular truck had everything else I wanted - colour, large fuel tank, longer box, supercrew cab, backup camera.

Also, there is no "turbo whistle", so I can't macho boost my way out of the Princess Auto parking lot like I was pulling two 53' trailers fully loaded up a 7% grade!!!!
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #26

The EB idea is not new. Back in the late 60's I was playing with small displacement engines with big power at the local dragstrip every weekend. The engine is a pump and you can boost a pump until it produces amazing HP numbers. However, you got to pay to play. Small parts doing a lot of work = things break, and often. So here is my take on the EB engine. I think Ford did something the average hot rodder could never do. They built a small displacement hot rod and sold it to the general public with a warranty. I assume they knew that some people would floor it and dive it like they stole it and others would drive it like a family car and that somehow that mix would equal success overall from a business standpoint. There is no actual replacement for displacement from a mechanical stress standpoint. But you can decide yourself how you treat your investment. And with my personal experience with small displacement high output engines I would hold my breath every time I smashed the gas to the floor, and be thankful that something didn't go bang/pop or kaboom.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote