Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
That's about the right year model for the piston skirt noise. GM had a huge issue with that. It is caused by pistons with short skirts rocking in the cylinder. GM's solution with later models was to coat the piston skirts. It was never considered a durability issue, just an annoyance. If I remember correctly, GM even extended the warranties on those trucks to try to appease the customers.

You might play around with different lubricants to see if they'll make the noise go away. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

We had an '04 Tahoe with a 4.8 that had the same noise.

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #12
Without hearing it I would lean towards lifters. Especially if it goes away. ESPECIALLY If they are hydraulic lifters. Oil has to get there from the pan. Is it worse after sitting for a few days or is it every single time? Like someone else suggested, easy first fix is check oil level. Check your oil pressure. Should be around 60 psi or slightly higher when cold. Should drop about 10 psi when warm. If your not making this something is clogged. Double check for precise numbers for your engine but these are General pressures.

Larger diesels are actually pre lubed before starting for this very reason

tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote