Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Equalizer 10K Question

I purchased a used Equalizer setup from a friend who upgraded to a 12K version. The one I bought is 10 years old and was used often. It installed fine on my truck and trailer.

I'm just wondering if there would have been any benefit to purchasing a new setup? Do the parts on these hitches actually wear out to the point of becoming less effective? All welds are solid, I have re-torqued all the assembly bolts etc. and the hitch seems to be functioning well but I really don't have anything to compare performance to as I've never used a WDH before.

I typically don't by used parts, especially something as critical as a hitch but the price was right. Just looking for opinions on whether or not I should buy new.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If the used WDH was properly utilized by the prior owner and there isn't any visible degrade of mating and/or moving components (friction pads, metal-on-metal parts, etc.), IMO it should function as good as a new WDH of the same make/model.

With any WDH, used or new proper sizing, installation, and adjustment are key in optimizing the designed performance of the WDH.

My WDH is over 10 years old and performing just fine.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:41 AM   #3

As long as all seems ok, don't see why not. Only downside may be no warranty.

Have you weighed your rig by chance? Only possible issue I could see besides the warranty with you buying a 10K (1K tw) used system is you may need a higher rated system for your loaded tw. It all depends on how you load for a trip. I have read some owners of the 28 BHBE having a tw of up to 1200# because of how they load. Hard to even estimate your loaded tw as we all pack different.

Best thing to do is go weigh your rig all loaded as you normally pack at a CAT Scale. Have all "normal" passengers and cargo with. Follow my signature link for the how to.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:17 AM   #4

Yeah that hitch is a bit too light for that trailer under most loaded scenarios. I have the 10K for my trailer and it's just enough. If you do end up buying a new Equalizer hitch, get the 14K. The bars are identical for the 12 and 14, the difference being the hitch head metal thickness.

I agree in that, if your used hitch was maintained properly it should still work like new. I torque all bolts on mine each year at least twice and grease the pivot points and the ball each trip - remove the old dirty grease and apply new fresh grease.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies - I will get my truck and trailer weighed this week and make a determination on upgrading or not. We do pack fairly light, at least at this point.

I weighed my tongue weight using a Sureline Scale at home and only had 700 pounds which seems a little light to me.

Is there a down side to upgrading to the heavier hitch IF my weights aren't quite there? Is "Too Much" hitch just as bad as too little?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote