Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Equalizer 10K Snap, Crackle, Pop

When we went to remove our hitch after our Christmas vacation, we discovered that our hitch had a chunk missing. Everything was fine when we hooked up for departure. We purchased our hitch new with from the dealer when we bought our trailer. I watched them open the sealed box before installing it. The interior pin end of the socket that receives the bar had a 1" chunk missing. As we pulled the bar out another .5" piece fell off. We promptly called Progress MFG. We told them what we found and sent them several pictures. They had us check our ball shaft as the longer shafts can press against the sockets and cause them to crack. But we have the exact ball that they specify for their WDH, and it does not contact the sockets at all. There was rust in the steel on the inner edges (not the exposed ends). This was puzzling to me and the rep. He told me that sometimes the cast hardening is excessive and the sockets can be brittle.

In any case, Progress is sending two new sockets. This is our fourth encounter with their techs. The other times were for proper installation and set up assistance. Each time we have found their people to be extremely courteous and knowledgeable - How refreshing!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Glad to hear they're taking care of you. The only problem we had when new, was one of the socket bolts was over torqued, and had to brace against a wall to push the bar in, with my foot. A call to Equalizer quickly got the right torque spec, and all is well. We also re-torque every spring, since the wear and tear does tend to loosen them up just a little. Oh, and grease 'em every trip. It saves on the noise.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
In any case, Progress is sending two new sockets. This is our fourth encounter with their techs. The other times were for proper installation and set up assistance. Each time we have found their people to be extremely courteous and knowledgeable - How refreshing!
I have an Equal-i-zer and have talked to their Techs on several occasions and had the same experience as you... Professional, knowledgable and courtious. Not to mention Made in America!
Kudos to Equal-i-zer

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #4

All of the torque specs and maintenance requirements are in the hitch's instruction manual, which can also be found online. I check the torque of all bolts at the beginning of the season and I tend to put a wrench on the hitch head bolt every trip to make sure it's still tight. That one seems to back off a bit. (I think it's a 5/8in hex bolt which keeps the hitch head tilt set properly by putting pressure against the washer stack)

I'm glad to hear the company is helpful and responsible!