Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Equalizer Bracket Question

I have the equalizer 14K. I just noticed that one of the bracket arms is very loose. When I say bracket I am referring to the two pieces that the bars slide into attached to the hitch and ball. If I'm looking at the hitch it is the left jacket or bracket. I can literally spin it around with my finger. The right side is very tight. I can move it, but it's still tight. I see two bolts on the top of the hitch, but I thought in the manual it said not to adjust these. Thanks in advance and happy 4th!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

I have had mine apart several times to clean and grease that area. The book has nothing on these bolts other than the catch all warning to check and tighten all bolts. I did mine based on common sense that it can't be so tight as to prevent rotation but not lose that the nut might fall off on a trip. but the manual has nothing on your question. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I have had mine apart several times to clean and grease that area. The book has nothing on these bolts other than the catch all warning to check and tighten all bolts. I did mine based on common sense that it can't be so tight as to prevent rotation but not lose that the nut might fall off on a trip. but the manual has nothing on your question. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf
Thank you for the reply, I have not been able to find anything as well. I will have to give them a call if nobody else chimes in.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
I have the equalizer 14K. I just noticed that one of the bracket arms is very loose. When I say bracket I am referring to the two pieces that the bars slide into attached to the hitch and ball. If I'm looking at the hitch it is the left jacket or bracket. I can literally spin it around with my finger. The right side is very tight. I can move it, but it's still tight. I see two bolts on the top of the hitch, but I thought in the manual it said not to adjust these. Thanks in advance and happy 4th!

I have the 14k hitch as well. The bolts that hold the bar sockets (for lack of a better term) will become loose with time. The bolts don't loosen but the top and bottom of the socket wear. I don't have my notes but years ago I called as I had noticed cracks in the sockets and was concerned about the integrity of that piece. The cracks are normal as well as the wear. As I had mine taken apart to send the piece in for inspection I asked about reassembly and was told to torque them occasionally to 65 ft/lbs.

If yours is so loose that you can move it by hand I'd torque that bolt a bit. While there is a friction component to that socket, that is not a critical part for the sway control. That friction is generated on the other end of the bar where it lifts onto the L bracket attached to the trailer frame.

Hope that helps ease your mind.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #5

Yes it does, thank you very much!

Old 07-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #6

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post

Here are the maintenance torque specs for the bolts:

For the bolts that hold the sockets into the head (you can see the heads to either side of the hitch ball), we recommend that you maintain the torque between 45 and 60 ft-lbs.

•For the bolts that hold the Inside Link Plate and the Outside Link Plate together across the frame require 50 - 70 ft-lbs.

•For the bolts that hold the L-bracket to the Outside Link Plates, the torque spec is 65 - 75 ft-lbs

These "torque specs" should be checked periodically to maintain the proper friction that is needed to provide the anti-sway characteristics of the Equalizer.

Equalizer suggests:
"A good rule of thumb is to check the torques on the bolts that need it, grease the sockets in the hitch head where they rub against the forged head, and paint any exposed metal with a high-grade enamel rust-resistant spray paint."
...called "preventative maintenance".
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote