Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
F-150 tow mirrors

I own a 2012 Ford F-150 Lariat without the max trailer tow package (for some reason not available). This means that my truck did not come with the telescoping tow mirrors. I did some investigation and found ford part DL3Z-17696-CA which is the tow mirror that is power, heated, chrome skullcaps, and puddle lamps. Apparently the only things not done are power telescope and power fold. If air can live without the power fold is there anyone that can tell me if this mirror will fit on the f150 lariat.

If not is there anyone that has other suggestions?
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

I never found special tow mirrors to be necessary. I did add the small convex mirrors that you can stick in the outer corner of the truck mirrors that will give you some added wide angle view. They are small and you won't get a lot of detail but when you glance at them, it will help you detect something in your blind spot before making a lane change. I think it is a mistake to drive with your mirrors because it means you aren't keeping your eyes on what is in front of you. I also found that your friend when you are backing the TT at a site is a spotter not your mirrors. My rule is avoid backing up at all costs. When driving all your mirrors need to do is help you with minimizing your blind spots. I'd spend your RV $$'s on something else.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Site Team

I find that tow mirrors are necessary, at least with the two trucks I have towed travel trailers with. I use the CIPA slide on mirrors.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I never found special tow mirrors to be necessary. I did add the small convex mirrors that you can stick in the outer corner of the truck mirrors that will give you some added wide angle view. They are small and you won't get a lot of detail but when you glance at them, it will help you detect something in your blind spot before making a lane change. I think it is a mistake to drive with your mirrors because it means you aren't keeping your eyes on what is in front of you. I also found that your friend when you are backing the TT at a site is a spotter not your mirrors. My rule is avoid backing up at all costs. When driving all your mirrors need to do is help you with minimizing your blind spots. I'd spend your RV $$'s on something else.
Thanks for the feedback and I feel like you do. I don't really drive with my mirrors and when backing up I always use a ground guide (training courtesy of The US Army tank driving school). My main concern is wanting to make sure what is the lane right next to me. My drivers side mirror has a convex mirror built in but the passenger side does not. I have been told the little stick on convex mirrors would not work right because of the heated mirror options I have. What is your experience with that? One good thing is that the mirrors I have are wider instead of taller so I do have a good field of view except for the passenger side blind spot so I will try out the trailer first to see what I need.

Thanks again
Old 12-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I find that tow mirrors are necessary, at least with the two trucks I have towed travel trailers with. I use the CIPA slide on mirrors.
X2..., I use the CIPA slide on mirrors as well.

The extended mirrors allow the driver to clearly see areas beyond the normal close "blind spots". I use my mirrors all the time backing the TT into my storage space, around campsites, dump stations, gas stations, etc.. Traveling down the freeway at 60mph changing lanes and merging into traffic I have found the extended mirrors a must.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
X2..., I use the CIPA slide on mirrors as well.

The extended mirrors allow the driver to clearly see areas beyond the normal close "blind spots". I use my mirrors all the time backing the TT into my storage space, around campsites, dump stations, gas stations, etc.. Traveling down the freeway at 60mph changing lanes and merging into traffic I have found the extended mirrors a must.

Bob
X3 on the CIPA slide on mirrors, reasonably priced solution to the problem.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls001 View Post
X3 on the CIPA slide on mirrors, reasonably priced solution to the problem.
I ordered those today so we will see how they work
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

i have those as well the dealer i bought my trailer from had some old stock for my year of truck, worked perfect looks almost OEM and i got them for like 60% off

so x4 on the recommend
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #9

The small stick on mirrors should work fine on a heated side mirror. Again these small mirrors only serve to let you know that something is in your blind spot. A quick glance is all that is necessary. I understand the thinking of those who x2.x3 on the extended mirrors, but just haven't found the need myself. In the old days, I used a set of clamp on mirrors that hang on the window sills and strap to the bottom of the door. Used them with my pop-ups and did find them useful since my TV was a small station wagon and my rear side vision was nil. With the HD silverado that comes with standard with some pretty big mirrors, the stick ons work fine for me.

Mirrors or not, don't make a lot of unnessary lane changes. Stay in the far right lane so you don't have to worry about anybody coming up on the right side. When you do change lanes, use your signal lights, glance at your mirror, slowly move while again glancing at the side mirror [at this stage your regular mirror will have full view of the side lane] and if safe complete your lane change.

Merry Christmas and safe travel to all.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #10

So I bought the cipa mirrors and made a small discovery. They cover up my puddle lamps. I was worried about them getting too hot so I called cipa. The told me the engineers did not recommend them for mirrors that had the puddle lamps or the turn signals. They probably would have freaked out if I told them I had chrome skullcaps. Anyway the fit seems fine and it does not interfere with sliding the cipa mirrors on but I was worried about excessive heat from the puddle lamps. The signal lamps are okay because even though they are not recommended the cipa mirrors have a cutout for them.

I do like the ford tow mirrors but I do not like the fact they do not have the power fold option
Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #11

Puddle lights should only operate when you open the door, right?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #12

Yes but I think they also turn on when you remotely unlock the door so you can see where the puddles are
Old 01-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #13

I know they are bright and hot but the short time they are on might allow you to cover them. Puddle mirrors are the solution to a problem that never existed, perhaps the best way is to remove them. Just my opinion.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
Site Team

I cannot see where that would be an issue, unless the door is open a very long time with the mirrors on, a scenario you could eliminate. As for the signal light in the mirror, I have that and that`s not an issue. The OEM tow mirrors are nice, but as with most things OEM they are pricey.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #15

In another thread I posted I purchased some different mirrors to try. Not sure how the link works fro tapatalk but I will try to post it
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #16

Here is the link http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=17051