Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
Just keep in mind that the vehicle end of the cable should be attached to the VEHICLE not to some part of the hitch or chains. Think of it in a worst case scenario, not just if the trailer comes off the ball. What if the vehicle hitch breaks. I replaced one of the screws in my license plate with a screw eye and fasten the vehicle end of the break away cable to it.
At the time we took delivery I had not yet come across this particular bit of enlightenment. The dealer had just clipped the break-away to one of the safety chains. As I thought about it on the way home that didn't make any sense - a quick search here provided me with the necessary details - proving just how useful this forum can be... Before taking the trailer out again I added an eye-bolt to the frame and keep a small carabiner hanging on it just for this purpose. I have mine coiled once and it hangs just a bit lower than the safety chains.

TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition
TV: 2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn CC, 5.7L Hemi, 3.21, Factory Air Suspension/Tow Pkg, Andersen WD/SC
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote