Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #21

Being a moderator for a F150 forum, there are many "opinions" as to simply droping the pan, changing the filter, and adding about 5 quarts of automatic transmission fluid, verses having the transmission "flushed" and replacing ALL the fluid (10 plus quarts depending on the model). By doing a pan only, you get a new filter and up to 5 clean quarts, but still have 6 or more dirty quarts; it would be like only replacing 3 quarts of engine oil and leaving 3 or 4 dirty quarts in it; you don't do that, do you?
Many have spoken fear in that a flush being done on a transmission with over 50K or more for the first time can disloge contaminants in the transmission, and create problems. I have done flushes on two used F150's I've owned, as I never assume good prior maintenance was done on these used trucks. In both cases, I've never experienced any issues with the automatic transmission by doing these flushes, and each had well over 75K when I had it done.
I would take the truck to a reputable transmission shop (I've been using a local "double A beep beep, MCO" for years. The've always done a free expection, then gave me the O.K. recomendation of a flush. It should be noted that their flush machine uses low pressure to remove the old fluid, and replaces it with all new synthetic fluid.

And don't forget the rear differential; that should get 30K interval replacesments when towing too.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbss View Post
Bob hit it right on the head. If it was me I would do the flush as it cleans the system and the converter. They will flush the system with fluid as they filter the outgoing fluid.

What is a Transmission Flush? | Process and Advice
Pretty good article. Probably stick with the change and stay away from the flush with my 15 yr old vehicle. But for a Newer, one probably go with doing all of it.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #23

going to look at one of those charger for the truck, just not running the truck enough, just for pulling the trailer now.
Found the papers for the last flush on the truck on the tranny it was done 2 years ago, at 299.000K only at 316 now.
oil and rad are getting done next week, also will check brakes
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:18 AM   #24

Just a follow up. I got back to the office today and I had forgot to plug in the solar panel. Guess what I had. And it was dead, dead, dead!! I might add I have fire dept flashlights and radios on constant chargers installed. That's were my drain comes from and I had also forgotten to unplug them.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:37 AM   #25

My truck has the Allison transmission and Allison does not recommend removing the pan except at overhaul time which I'm not even close to (I hope). Also, there is no internal filter in my vintage Allison, there is a screen only. There is an external spin on filter that looks like a smaller engine oil filter, but with a much thicker gasket. This filter also has a magnet stuck on the top of it. This magnet looks like a large thick flat washer and is put on the new filter during install.

Allison recommends fluid change (Dex VI in my case) every 50,000 miles or 25,000 miles if towing. A simple drain and filter replace gets 7-8 quarts out of the system leaving about another 7 quarts or so in the converter. Since I change my fluid every 25,000 miles I'm not concerned about only changing half of it each time. No power flush for me and definitely no dropping of the pan.

I bought 8 quarts of Dex VI yesterday and this morning I will change the fluid/filter. I always put in 7 quarts, drive it a few miles to warm it up and then top off to full hot with the remaining quarts.

This will be my 6th fluid change since new and I don't see any reason to change now.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #26

Change !!!!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #27

I don't know how many here remember when GM came out with their Duramax diesel/Allison transmission combo with the 2001 model year, but Allison had some absolute requirements on the dealers. If a warranty issue came up that required opening up the transmission Allison would ship a new transmission to the dealer and the old one (unopened) was returned to Allison. The dealers had zero authorization to open the transmission for any reason. I don't remember how long this policy was in effect, but I had a copy of it at one time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote