Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

For those that tow with the B&W Companion how do you like it?

I have a 16' Ram short bed, and the trailer we just purchased has the Reese Revolution factory installed. Truck has the factory prep 5th/gooseneck package so I plan to go with the B&W RVK3600 which is the model that fits the factory prep package.

For those that actually tow with it, how do you like it? How quiet is it?

It appears the jaws wrap around that kingpin pretty tight so i'm guessing it should be a pretty quiet hitch, just hoping to avoid any clanging sounds when going from stop to start etc....
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

Love my Companion hitch. Originally bought the slider. It's heavy so I bought the non-slider base which is a lot lighter. Now I can use either depending on trip.
Fire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

We have the factory mounts in the F350 short bed and use the B&W Companion. It's the only 5th hitch I have experience with but I think it's great, no complaints at all.
However, my insurance co paid $500 for me to learn that I shoulda bought a slider. I still tow with it but am careful when making tight turns. I cannot make a full lock U turn.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

Hey guys thanks for the info!! Is it pretty quiet while towing?
Old 04-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #5

On several RV Forums I've read all kinds of comments about what hitches are and are not compatible with the Reese Revolution. This issue is the "wedge" that goes into the V of the hitch plate in front (back?) of the jaws. That "wedge" is what keeps the Revolution from pivoting at the hitch. When the hitch plate is "engineered steel" it's still basically sheet metal - very strong sheet metal but still sheet metal. So the edges of the wedge are pressing against the side of that metal when you turn. Some claim that it eventually digs into the sides of the wedge (which is basically hard rubber).
That's why I bought a Reese Titan - because it has a cast plate with very tick walls at the V.
I don't know that this is enough of a problem to avoid the hitch that's made for your factory prep - but on other forums the recommendation is "Call the Reese Support line and ask if the hitch you're considering is compatible with the Revolution."
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
On several RV Forums I've read all kinds of comments about what hitches are and are not compatible with the Reese Revolution. This issue is the "wedge" that goes into the V of the hitch plate in front (back?) of the jaws. That "wedge" is what keeps the Revolution from pivoting at the hitch. When the hitch plate is "engineered steel" it's still basically sheet metal - very strong sheet metal but still sheet metal. So the edges of the wedge are pressing against the side of that metal when you turn. Some claim that it eventually digs into the sides of the wedge (which is basically hard rubber).
That's why I bought a Reese Titan - because it has a cast plate with very tick walls at the V.
I don't know that this is enough of a problem to avoid the hitch that's made for your factory prep - but on other forums the recommendation is "Call the Reese Support line and ask if the hitch you're considering is compatible with the Revolution."
I knew this was bound to come up at some point.....

I have talked to both Reese and B&W, and the RVK3600 specifically (I'm sure the Ford prep model as well) works with the Revolution and both Reese and B&W will warranty each product when used in combination with one another. The only product not designed to work with the Revolution is the B&W gooseneck model.

But I do see what you mean by the thickness of the plate, the B&W is thinner looking. I was really hoping to use something designed to work with my factory prep package rather then getting a picture frame adapter so I guess i'll have to continue my research. Thanks for the input!!!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
And how do you like your setup by the way (i'm guessing you also have the revolution based on the truck in your signature)? Do the two work very well together? and again, I am looking for a quiet towing expirience so how does that work out for you? Thanks!!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #8

Yes, the Eagle HT has the revolution from the Factory.
I'll let you know next week :-). The 5er just came into the dealer yesterday and they are prepping it as we speak. I pick it up Thursday (earliest I could get off work) and we're taking it out on Friday morning for the weekend.
So my comments were based on all the research I did in purchasing my hitch - which was installed a few weeks ago.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 04-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, the Eagle HT has the revolution from the Factory.
I'll let you know next week :-). The 5er just came into the dealer yesterday and they are prepping it as we speak. I pick it up Thursday (earliest I could get off work) and we're taking it out on Friday morning for the weekend.
So my comments were based on all the research I did in purchasing my hitch - which was installed a few weeks ago.
Ok great. Looks like you have a valid concern so thank you for the heads up!!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #10

Have the Companion in my '14 Ram 3500 DRW Crew. Pulls the Seismic at 19k without a single issue. I keep it greased, use the ring and surface grease, grease the claws and other areas as recommended by BW. It's super quiet. With the Morryde box it dampens well, unless you get on a road that's a series of mini speed bumps then it gets kind of sporty and if you tend to get sea sick you will! Haha. Seriously it's a great product. Worth the money. I got one of the first made in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the advice so far!!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #12

OK, so I promised an update after first use.

1) I love the way it tows. Very smooth and very little chucking or noise.
2) I've had horrible problems unhitching (as I commented on in another thread) and have come to the conclusion that the problem is the universal wedge combined with the wedge being installed too tight. It took me over 30 minutes to get the hitch jaws to let go last Monday.
So when the new Titan specific wedge comes in and I've had a chance to tow with it - I'll give another update.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 04-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #13

Quote:
OK, so I promised an update after first use.

1) I love the way it tows. Very smooth and very little chucking or noise.
2) I've had horrible problems unhitching (as I commented on in another thread) and have come to the conclusion that the problem is the universal wedge combined with the wedge being installed too tight. It took me over 30 minutes to get the hitch jaws to let go last Monday.
So when the new Titan specific wedge comes in and I've had a chance to tow with it - I'll give another update.
Thanks BuddyRay!!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #14

Quiet or not depends on if you're using the auto lubrication disc or not. Ours tow very quiet with no chucking, as we also have the Mor-Ryde rubber pin box. Very nice hitch overall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
Hey guys thanks for the info!! Is it pretty quiet while towing?
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote