Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #41

I've been in technology since 1976. One thing I've learned - nothing stays the same.

I fully expect that my granddaughters will never learn to drive a car.
They will own a car. They will use their car to go to work, parties and even on vacation. They will probably even tow an RV.
But they won't drive it - they will just tell it where they want to go (verbally) and it will take them there. Then it will go park itself and wait.
And they won't think any more of that than we are concerned about not knowing how to hitch up a wagon or buggy.

Electronic backing assist . . . . tip of the iceberg.

How many of you DO know how to hitch up a horse to a buggy?
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
I've been in technology since 1976. One thing I've learned - nothing stays the same.

They will own a car. They will use their car to go to work, parties and even on vacation. They will probably even tow an RV.
But they won't drive it - they will just tell it where they want to go (verbally) and it will take them there. Then it will go park itself and wait.
And they won't think any more of that than we are concerned about not knowing how to hitch up a wagon or buggy.

I do! and once they are hitched they are self driving, especially coming home. Damn technology making those horses automatic....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Lol. Comparing backing up a trailer to landing a 777.
You don't back up a trailer at 165 knots either!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #44
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post

I hitched up a horse to a buggy everyday, at least twice a day for 5 summers while working as Caleche driver in Quebec City and I'll take my F150 any day of the week over a horse and buggy.

The criticism stems from the sentiment that people should not be pulling or backing a trailer with an F150. I'd challenge anybody without backup cameras to a tight downtown parallel parking competition between a couple of compact cars that are not visible over your tailgate and disappear out of your mirrors.

Its the same fear of useful technology that spurned statements from geezers that they would never use a GPS (I carry a spare in case 1st conks out) because maps work better and who would ever need this thing called the internet when you can head down to the café for a fresh black coffee.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
...I'd challenge anybody without backup cameras to a tight downtown parallel parking competition between a couple of compact cars that are not visible over your tailgate and disappear out of your mirrors...
How about parallel parking an F150 Screw with a shell with toolbox doors (and no cameras)? Been there, done that. You have to know how to use your side mirrors and spot little "landmarks" before backing to see where the obstructions are when they disappear from view.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #46

I always love a good anti technology thread on an Internet forum. Sweet irony.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #47

Just remember this is ADVERTIZING.. reality may be a very different thing. Remember the ads for GM Quadrasteer? and the country crooner backing around a corner?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
I noticed that too. But that's something that has to be watched when backing manually too. You can't let yourself get too focused on what's happening behind you.
For sure it would have happened if he wasn't paying attention...
In this instance the driver was likely distracted by the cool new tech to really think about what he was doing. Once the novelty wears off, it will become just a normal way to back up a trailer.

I love new tech - frankly can't wait for the day we pull into the campground, push the magic button and the site is set up, ready to go. Not that I can't do it "the old way" but its way more awesomner to let the magic robot computer thingy do it for me!

Each to his own - tech it or leave it!
Swardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swardy View Post
For sure it would have happened if he wasn't paying attention...
In this instance the driver was likely distracted by the cool new tech to really think about what he was doing. Once the novelty wears off, it will become just a normal way to back up a trailer.

I love new tech - frankly can't wait for the day we pull into the campground, push the magic button and the site is set up, ready to go. Not that I can't do it "the old way" but its way more awesomner to let the magic robot computer thingy do it for me!

Each to his own - tech it or leave it!
LOL. Robots are cool, but typically not all that smart yet. I programmed and operated a couple of different state of the art CNC milling machines the last 10-12 years before I retired, and they do great as long as the right data is input. GI-GO is still the mantra though.

We've had 2 robot vacuum cleaners and neither one could figure out how to work around some types of furniture. Our home in the Bahamas had a hexagonal great room, and the Roomba was utterly baffled by the 120° corners.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #50

I spent 20+ years working in entertainment technologies - lighting, audio and show control. GI - GO has a great meaning when the GO could be a bunch of actors running around on the things you programmed to move while the lighting and darkness occurring at the right times to highlight or hide a scenic move... could all result in terrible scenes or flat actors. neither of which are personally appealing.
Swardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #51

Quote:
Wow... now we can add backup police to the weight police. Making an assumption that I can't back up just because I don't mind making it easier.... not sure where to go from there.

I first backed a camper into a forest campsite when I was 17 years old - 15 foot Cascade Coach behind a '61 Chevy Belair sedan. I'm now 70 and I have already backed my 2017 24 foot Jayco with my 2016 F-150 a few times. I think I have a handle on it.

Looks to me like Bobx2 is pretty much toyed and trailered with up to date technology. Maybe you would consider going back to a tent or popup - then I might consider taking you seriously. With what you drag around when you are "camping", it doesn't look like you are exactly roughing it.

Despite my past experience, I still plan to set up the Trailer Assist this spring to try it out. If it works to make life easier, it's a good thing.
You taking me seriously would really mean a lot to me, if I cared anything at all about what you think. Being elderly, you should understand that camping doesn't mean having to be uncomfortable. I have read enough of your posts to know that you think everyone stays in rv resorts, and you are the only one who "roughs" it. Obviously, you know not of that which you speak, so it is hard to take you seriously as well...
Here is how we camp. Not too likely you could even get your trailer in here, and all the self backing technology in the world wouldn't be of much assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0884_zpsxnrskenq.jpg  

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
You taking me seriously would really mean a lot to me, if I cared anything at all about what you think. Being elderly, you should understand that camping doesn't mean having to be uncomfortable. I have read enough of your posts to know that you think everyone stays in rv resorts, and you are the only one who "roughs" it. Obviously, you know not of that which you speak, so it is hard to take you seriously as well...
Here is how we camp. Not too likely you could even get your trailer in here, and all the self backing technology in the world wouldn't be of much assistance.
You basically called me and others "lazy" (among other innuendos) for taking an interest in new technology. All I did was reply in kind. My comment about your camping style ("roughing" it) was more in irony over your denigration of the trailer assist technology being discussed. Since you clearly haven't used it, you really have no more valid an opinion than I do, but I at least am open to trying it out.

If new technology has reasonable functionality, is applicable to something I enjoy, and it isn't too complicated for my "elderly" brain, then I like to play around with it. Ford's trailer assist falls into that category.

By the way, I like your style of "roughing" it a lot. That is my kind of camping too.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #53

Quote:
You basically called me and others "lazy" (among other innuendos) for taking an interest in new technology. All I did was reply in kind. My comment about your camping style ("roughing" it) was more in irony over your denigration of the trailer assist technology being discussed. Since you clearly haven't used it, you really have no more valid an opinion than I do, but I at least am open to trying it out.

If new technology has reasonable functionality, is applicable to something I enjoy, and it isn't too complicated for my "elderly" brain, then I like to play around with it. Ford's trailer assist falls into that category.

By the way, I like your style of "roughing" it a lot. That is my kind of camping too.
Fair enough. Just a few more months and we can get back to it.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #54

Boy did this ever become a touchy topic.
Phil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2008 View Post
Boy did this ever become a touchy topic.
Yup. 'WOW' should have been the first word of the topic... not the last.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #56

Yeah, I notice that too.

Trying to imagine the controversy when planes first started being able to land themselves.

I'm a techie, so I love to see the innovation. I still expect the pilot on my aircraft to be able to land without using ILS and the Auto pilot. The end result on these things is usually a win/win for everyone.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote