Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #1

Ford F-150 ecoboost question

I am new to this forum and have a question regarding purchasing a 2015 Jayco Octane SL 273. The question is: my tow vehicle will be a 2014 Ford F-150 Supercrew with the 3.5l ecoboost V-6. It is a 4x4 with the 5.5 bed. It has the tow package and TBC installed rear axle is the 3.55. GVW is 7200# and have a GCWR of 15500. The truck weight with a full tank and driver is 6020#'s. The trailer has a 6498 empty weight (weight includes 2 filled 20 Gallon propane tanks and full fuel tank for fueling station) addtional cargo capacity of 3400#'s.

Is the F-150 truck enough to pull it?

I forgot to mention that I will be installing a WDC hitch as well.
Jcarver671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

a few more numbers are needed from you.
1st. what is payload capacity of the truck. (from door sticker)
2nd. what is GVW of the TT
take GVW of trailer and multiply by 0.15. this is your max tongue weight.
from the GVW listed in the brochure your hitch weight will be in the area of 1500lbs at max GVW. even dry the hitch is near 1000lbs.
if this is anywhere near your payload of the truck, then the truck is NOT enough to pull it SAFELY. (the Ecoboost can tow a lot, but that does not mean it is SAFE)
You also need to account for whoever and whatever else you will be loading into the TV (truck). this all takes away from the available payload for the tongue weight. also, the WDH will take away about 100lbs from payload.
your next step after all these calculations is to hit the local CAT scale. you will soon realize that the scale is your best friend.
JMHO and .02.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. The payload is 1411# as listed on the door jamb. I took the truck today to a cat scale and had it weighted with a full tank of gas and myself in the driver seat the weight was 6020. The yellow sticker inside the trailer door reads 6498# with full propane cylinders and full generator fuel. The sticker also says the weight of the cargo should never exceed 3452#.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #4

I don't see to many TH being pulled by 150/1500 around here.

A ~1400 cargo capacity on the f150 is pretty low, especially after you load your toys in the trailer and any cargo you plan to in the truck bed.

Jayco publishes the "dry hitch weight" at nearly 1000lbs. That is without battery, propane, or any load in the toy hauler.

Admittedly I'm conservative, but based on the numbers you shared I wouldn't feel comfortable with that combination.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I don't see to many TH being pulled by 150/1500 around here.

A ~1400 cargo capacity on the f150 is pretty low, especially after you load your toys in the trailer and any cargo you plan to in the truck bed.

Jayco publishes the "dry hitch weight" at nearly 1000lbs. That is without battery, propane, or any load in the toy hauler.

Admittedly I'm conservative, but based on the numbers you shared I wouldn't feel comfortable with that combination.
Thanks for the response as well. In measuring my gear and toys I am only looking at a cargo weight in the trailer of less than 2200#including water.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

Please search through the forums for more information on towing. Also consider length of TT with regards to weight. I posted a thread and have echoed the story on another thread of a good friend whose TV and TT were totaled (he happened to be driving an F150). The weight measurements were safely underneath what the F150 was rated to handle. The issue that caused the wreck was a case of "the tale wagging the dog". Even with WDH and sway bars, the TT was long enough that when a "perfect storm" of circumstances hit, the trailers whipping became to much and off the road he went. All of this was witnessed by another friend who followed behind with a similar setup but driving a 3/4 ton TV. No issues with the heavier truck.
I am all for these lighter trailers and the abilities of today's half ton trucks, but when you start approaching weight limits you also have to consider wheel base lengths to. I would rather be safe and have more truck than I really need then to end up with both rigs totaled and a nice hospital stay.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

Wow thanks for that info I will really make sure it is the right thing to get
Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

My TV is a ecoboost SCREW has the maxtow with the 3.73 gears, and my sticker is 1832 on the payload. My GCWR on my jayco is 9750 meaning the tongue at 15% figuring max allowed weight on the trailer would be a hair under 1500, and I would say I am right on the edge of comfort, I wouldn't want it any heavier. I also don't think I have had the tongue near that YET as I haven't towed wet and it doesn't have a ton of cargo in it. Haven't been to the scales, hope to in the next few weeks as we are fully loaded for our next camping trip.

After only towing a few times, I fast found out the rear suspension needs help, so plan on that if you go this route. I added roadmaster active suspension which made a big difference. Next thing on the list will probably be LT tires as the tires I have are P-Rated now, guessing yours may be as well. I have also been batting the idea of swapping the truck out for a 3/4 ton soon before it gets too old as its still fairly new and has low miles, not sure what I am going to do yet honestly.

Listen to the people here, they have a wealth of knowledge. Feel free to search for a few of my previous posts along a similar subject for recommendations/warnings on the ecoboost, or just search for ecoboost in general, you will get a lot of good threads.

Engine wise it really is very good, almost seems too good and probably makes many people not even realize or think they are nearing their payload. You will also get significantly better mileage keeping it under 60, and as many others will advise you (and taught me on this forum), the tires on the trailer aren't met to go over 65 anyway.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #9

Good information thank you very much and will take this in consideration. Thanks again
Old 08-20-2015, 11:40 PM   #10

Ford F-150 ecoboost question

The max tongue weight allowed for the receiver on the 2014 F-150 is 1130 pounds. So if the dry tongue is already 1000, I'd say there's no way you'll be able to keep it under the max allowed tongue weight.

Even if you decide to ignore Ford's manual on the subject and go by the stickers on the receiver, that gives you only 1150 pounds max tongue weight. Now that's on my receiver with the Max Tow option. I don't know if all models have the same receiver although I believe they do.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...F150_Sep11.pdf

Here's a pic of my 2014 F-150 receiver sticker. Note that my max towing capacity is 11,200 pounds, not the 11,500 that the receiver maxes out at. And my truck's GVWR is 7650.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440135700.526264.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	19800
Old 08-21-2015, 05:07 AM   #11

I have the 2014 F150 Eco-boost rated for 11,000_lbs towing (3.73 gears). My toy hauler is 8000_lbs max and is about all I want to tow with the toys on board.

"Its easier to ask forgivness than permission"
SBL9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
The issue that caused the wreck was a case of "the tale wagging the dog".
Not trying to discredit your friend, but i'm guessing there's more to the story than just the tail wagging the dog. Speed, distracted driving, soft tires/incorrect tires (overloaded), weather conditions and the list im sure could go on.
Ive been towing with short wheel base vehicles for years and haven't run into any issues that couldn't be corrected with a change of one of those culprit's (speed being the biggie). Sure, Ive had some white knuckle situations, but nothing where I ever felt like I was going to loose control of the vehicle.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #13

Since you have given us your payload this is a pretty easy one to calculate......

7200GVWR - 6020 scale weight = 1180lbs of remaining payload. Not what is listed on your door jamb sticker.

Trailer weight of 6498 + 2200lbs of your stuff and toys = 8690lbs

Toy hauler tongue weights can actually decrease from the dry weight as you load the heavy stuff in the back but....

8690 x 12% = 1043lbs as a rough estimate. It could be as high as 1300lbs which would be above the rating on your hitch.

Add another passenger or anything into the truck and you will be over your GVWR.

So if you don't want to be over any limits that trailer is probably too much for your truck.

Cheers
Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Welcome to the Forum JCarver.

I agree with Plowtoy. The best advice I can offer is to disregard the advice from the "experts" at one end of the spectrum that state that any trailer over 4,000 pounds requires a 350/3500 or that somebody's brother's cousin got in an accident and got sued 20 years ago because they were pulling an RV with a half ton. On the other end of the spectrum you need to ignore the expertise from those that have towed for years completely oblivious to the weights and measures of their tow vehicles for years and have never had a problem therefore their setup must be perfect.

You are doing the right thing carefully considering both your tow vehicle's payload capacity and tow capacity. I agree with some of the posters that you will be close on payload and it will depend on what you want to put in the truck and trailer while travelling to your eventual campsites. The mistake many "experts" make taking for granted that all half tons have the same ratings. For example if in 2014, if Truck “A” is an F150 with HD Payload and Max Tow package it actually has a higher payload rating than a base F250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke (in most configurations). Of course that does not mean your truck with the Ecoboost will tow any trailer, even a 4000 lb trailer, up a mountain as quickly as an F250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke (which has double the torque) but that is a personal choice based on your available finances. Based on what I have seen on some of the diesel forums, even a lot F250 owners with 6.7’s with 880 ft lbs of torque “need” an extra 400 ft lbs of torque. At the other end of the spectrum, a 2014 F150 with the 3.7 non eco and 3.31 gears does not have anywhere near the towing capacity of your truck, despite the fact that they are both F150 “half-tons”.

The above examples are provided to illustrate the inaccuracy of generalizations and the need to carefully consider your particular truck and the trailer you will be towing. If you do decide to proceed, knowing that you are close to limits, you may wish to consider equipping your truck with a helper spring or air bags as well as investing in a good quality hitch with WD and anti-sway. If you decide to upgrade your tow vehicle, based on your needs, you can decide between an F150 fully equipped for towing or to incur the additional expense of a diesel F250. Nobody who has done any amount of towing will tell you that they would prefer to tow a trailer of any weight with an F150 instead of a modern Diesel F250. On the other hand to state that you “need” a ¾ quarter ton or a one ton for the trailer you are considering is simply bad advice.

For myself, the fact that I use my F150 as a daily driver for work and would not be able to get an F250 into many parking garages downtown plus the additional up front costs factored into my decision of an F150. The 5.4 was the gas motor and 3.73 axle ratio that was an option in the gas F250 in 2010. When towing, I am within my payload and gvwr, but I do not carry full water tanks and I load my trailer and truck carefully knowing that I am close on payload. I have a very good quality hitch and I have spent some time adjusting the height and WD on it. I have not had any white knuckle experiences with my current setups despite towing under many different circumstances, except for emergency stops caused by unforeseeable accidents in front of me and deer etc. on the highway on my way to or from campgrounds and I am very comfortable with safety of my setup for my family and I. I leave a comfortable distance to the vehicle in front and have always been able to maintain the speed limit which is far safer than some of the F250’s that have blown by me on multi-lane highways at speeds far in excess of the speed ratings on their trailer tires (unless there are some high speed trailer tires that I have not heard of).
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #15

You go Steve!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #16

Sage advice from Steve.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Welcome to the Forum JCarver.

I agree with Plowtoy. The best advice I can offer is to disregard the advice from the "experts" at one end of the spectrum that state that any trailer over 4,000 pounds requires a 350/3500 or that somebody's brother's cousin got in an accident and got sued 20 years ago because they were pulling an RV with a half ton. On the other end of the spectrum you need to ignore the expertise from those that have towed for years completely oblivious to the weights and measures of their tow vehicles for years and have never had a problem therefore their setup must be perfect.

You are doing the right thing carefully considering both your tow vehicle's payload capacity and tow capacity. I agree with some of the posters that you will be close on payload and it will depend on what you want to put in the truck and trailer while travelling to your eventual campsites. The mistake many "experts" make taking for granted that all half tons have the same ratings. For example if in 2014, if Truck “A” is an F150 with HD Payload and Max Tow package it actually has a higher payload rating than a base F250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke (in most configurations). Of course that does not mean your truck with the Ecoboost will tow any trailer, even a 4000 lb trailer, up a mountain as quickly as an F250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke (which has double the torque) but that is a personal choice based on your available finances. Based on what I have seen on some of the diesel forums, even a lot F250 owners with 6.7’s with 880 ft lbs of torque “need” an extra 400 ft lbs of torque. At the other end of the spectrum, a 2014 F150 with the 3.7 non eco and 3.31 gears does not have anywhere near the towing capacity of your truck, despite the fact that they are both F150 “half-tons”.

The above examples are provided to illustrate the inaccuracy of generalizations and the need to carefully consider your particular truck and the trailer you will be towing. If you do decide to proceed, knowing that you are close to limits, you may wish to consider equipping your truck with a helper spring or air bags as well as investing in a good quality hitch with WD and anti-sway. If you decide to upgrade your tow vehicle, based on your needs, you can decide between an F150 fully equipped for towing or to incur the additional expense of a diesel F250. Nobody who has done any amount of towing will tell you that they would prefer to tow a trailer of any weight with an F150 instead of a modern Diesel F250. On the other hand to state that you “need” a ¾ quarter ton or a one ton for the trailer you are considering is simply bad advice.

For myself, the fact that I use my F150 as a daily driver for work and would not be able to get an F250 into many parking garages downtown plus the additional up front costs factored into my decision of an F150. The 5.4 was the gas motor and 3.73 axle ratio that was an option in the gas F250 in 2010. When towing, I am within my payload and gvwr, but I do not carry full water tanks and I load my trailer and truck carefully knowing that I am close on payload. I have a very good quality hitch and I have spent some time adjusting the height and WD on it. I have not had any white knuckle experiences with my current setups despite towing under many different circumstances, except for emergency stops caused by unforeseeable accidents in front of me and deer etc. on the highway on my way to or from campgrounds and I am very comfortable with safety of my setup for my family and I. I leave a comfortable distance to the vehicle in front and have always been able to maintain the speed limit which is far safer than some of the F250’s that have blown by me on multi-lane highways at speeds far in excess of the speed ratings on their trailer tires (unless there are some high speed trailer tires that I have not heard of).
Thanks for all the advice. This forum as been really helpful.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
The max tongue weight allowed for the receiver on the 2014 F-150 is 1130 pounds. So if the dry tongue is already 1000, I'd say there's no way you'll be able to keep it under the max allowed tongue weight.

Even if you decide to ignore Ford's manual on the subject and go by the stickers on the receiver, that gives you only 1150 pounds max tongue weight. Now that's on my receiver with the Max Tow option. I don't know if all models have the same receiver although I believe they do.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...F150_Sep11.pdf

Here's a pic of my 2014 F-150 receiver sticker. Note that my max towing capacity is 11,200 pounds, not the 11,500 that the receiver maxes out at. And my truck's GVWR is 7650.

Attachment 19800
My sticker is exactly the same, never realized that. Interesting. Even the Superduty hitch tongue weights max at 1250 if you use the 2" hitch adapter it appears (see footnotes), https://secure.ford.com/resources/fo...tyPU_Sep30.pdf

So should all of us with over 1250lb tongue weights be using 2.5" receivers and class V receivers here?!?!?

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote