Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

Fords answer, Backing a trailer for dummies.

I was talking to a Ford salesman and he told me about this option on the 2016 F150. It may come in handy for that person that has a hard time backing a trailer or someone new to RVs. Check out this youtube video.

https://youtu.be/tby3A29osDg
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #2

This feature is a disaster waiting to happen. It's like letting kids play with guns because "the safety is on".
Old 09-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
This feature is a disaster waiting to happen. It's like letting kids play with guns because "the safety is on".
I totally disagree. It looks to me like a different way to back a trailer. You're still controlling which way it turns, just using a knob instead of the steering wheel. While I believe wholeheartedly everyone should be able to parallel park, as well as back a trailer (assuming you want to pull a trailer), I don't think this system is a disaster waiting to happen. I think it's actually pretty cool, although I don't see myself ever wanting it.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #4

It's going to give people who have no idea what they are doing the excuse to buy a 32 foot trailer and a 21 foot truck and go out and try to back it into campsites and think everything will be smooth as glass. It's a false sense of security. The demonstration is a boat at a launch, which may be the only practical application of the system, but if you struggle with that simple task you shouldn't be towing anything.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #5

The fact is that we are getting old.
I went to a Tesla dealer with my kids and could not even adjust the seat.
The car has no buttons, knobs, etc... It's all on a 17" touch screen that you "flip" the pages and find what you want... My 12 yo son got the seat and was able to move "set up" (adjust is an ancient word) everything ....
30 years from now those kids will be arriving @ a camping site on a self driven pick up, pushing a button and the truck will put the trailer were he wants...
The satisfaction to park a trailer properly "by hand" will be changed to the satisfaction to see on a flat screed a live broadcast from Google showing your trailer is sitting with the precision of less than 1" of the selected location....

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Put me firmly in the "Another Useless Gadget' camp!

I learned how to back up a trailer and I am 'pretty good' at it. I've seen 'Fantastic'. It is a skill that ANY trailer owner MUST have.

Let's say your tricked-out-truck is in the body shop because Bambi decided to follow the chicken...

How are you going to put your trailer where it needs to be with the base rental truck your insurance company provided?

Personally, I've had enough of over-engineered solutions to 'problems' that any properly trained driver doesn't have. My 2013 has a Hill-Holder feature so the car doesn't roll backwards. Unfortunately, you can't turn it off. It only works on hills beyond a certain gradient and doesn't show if it is active or not! I've stalled the darn thing many times because the brakes are locked for a full 2 extra seconds AFTER my foot has been on the gas pedal. Grrr.

Back on subject. The video shows empty flat-bed trailers where you can clearly see all the corners. According to the comments, the Ford system watches the relationship between the truck and trailer. So you still have to guide the trailer into position. Mirrors and a spotter are still needed for anything bigger than a pop-up.

And which way do you turn the knob? The same as you are facing (backwards) or true to the axis of the rig?

Throw in one more salvo against the amount the system turns the wheel the scrub wear on the tires! Gah!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

I've seen this in person at a seminar and it's ALOT better than everyone is assuming. Don't knock it till you've at least tried it. You STILL need to learn how to back up a trailer, this just makes it easier. Especially if you're already a seasoned pro.

Let's face facts folks, the human race is evolving and we can't stop it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
...snip...
Let's face facts folks, the human race is evolving and we can't stop it.
Humans haven't evolved in the past 5,000 years! The best we've done is gotten a bit larger from a more reliable food supply.

Technology is advancing at an ever faster rate...

But people have been lazy since BEFORE we left the trees.

Please excuse the rant, but it is my considered opinion that the worst thing to happen to motoring was the electric self-starter!

Before that, you had to understand what internal combustion really meant. Were prepared to change you own spark plugs. And knew how to tuck your thumb so you wouldn't be wearing a cast after the engine kicked back.

So, when automakers unveil more useless gadgets (automatic parallel parking, ad nausium) its just one more reason I want to build a brand new 1990's small car. Before ABS, traction control, speed sensitive wipers, self-tightening seat belts, engines that start and shutdown while in traffic...

'Nuf.

But humans are still trying to be as lazy as possible. And any product that feeds this desire will sell.

And proud of it!
Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #9

All is good until the $2000 circuit board goes haywire and needs replacing.

Glad I learned to back up, loading a howitzer onto a mike boat from and LST in the middle of the ocean with everything bouncing a different direction. Sure makes backing up a trailer on ground that is stationary a piece of cake.

We already have far to many computer chips/ circuit boards in a vehicle, don't need or want another one.

If you can't drive and control whatever your driving, perhaps you should not drive it at all. Some people are destined to stay in motels.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

I would have absolutely no use for that option. For me that would be way more irritating than just learning how to properly back a trailer. More and more of these features just seem like a crutch for the operator to me.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
All is good until the $2000 circuit board goes haywire and needs replacing.

Glad I learned to back up, loading a howitzer onto a mike boat from and LST in the middle of the ocean with everything bouncing a different direction. Sure makes backing up a trailer on ground that is stationary a piece of cake.

We already have far to many computer chips/ circuit boards in a vehicle, don't need or want another one.

If you can't drive and control whatever your driving, perhaps you should not drive it at all. Some people are destined to stay in motels.
X2!

And proud of it!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #12

It looks like fun, and I think it'd be fun to try it in a demo setting. But, with the new Lariats pushing $55k already, adding another pricey gadget just means it'll be further out of the budget. Mine is sure more appealing every day...

Wonder how this gadget would do with a hay wagon, with a turning front axle? ;-)
RIP Miss Sophie) rescued hounds
Fastalker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
It's going to give people who have no idea what they are doing the excuse to buy a 32 foot trailer and a 21 foot truck and go out and try to back it into campsites and think everything will be smooth as glass. It's a false sense of security. The demonstration is a boat at a launch, which may be the only practical application of the system, but if you struggle with that simple task you shouldn't be towing anything.
Who needs an excuse? LOL!

Honestly, I suck at backing up trailers. I manage it, slowly, and with people gawking.

I can't hold a candle to the "Towing Master" (my dad), or worse, practically every guy in my wife's family who either currently is, or at one time was, a truck driver.

I don't know that I'd buy a truck with an automated system like this. Watching it doesn't convince me that it would really help all that much.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #14

If anyone is interested in more info or a test drive Ford will demo this setup at several auto shows and state fairs this fall across the country. It will likely add about $200 to the cost of the existing trailer tow package that costs $695. It can also be ordered as a standalone feature on the base XL trim level. Go to this link http://www.f150drive.com
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #15

It looks like it would work for a boat, as you can see around it with its V nose. But a TT, I don't think you would see anything, other than the front of unit. A flat bed trailer that you cannot see when empty, it would be nice too. I know my flatbed trailer when empty disappears at times.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote