Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if this has been suggested already, but the new Titan XD seems to be a nice fit between a 1500 and 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tell ya, that thing looks to be a contender! Interested to see how it performs!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #62

I looked at the Titans and equipped equally a Ram 2500 would be less expensive, especially since they almost won't deal on the Titan... Seems it's too new, and they say the demand is too high. However, I've only seen 2 that weren't still on their lots. Beautiful truck... no doubt about it.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I tell ya, that thing looks to be a contender! Interested to see how it performs!
I agree! My plan was to purchase one, however, Nissan delayed the release another month or two than originally expected which "forced" me into purchasing my 2015 Duramax. I recently test drove the Titan XD for kicks and really liked it. I trailer a Jayco 314BHDS which is almost 10K loaded. I had a half ton that struggled mightily with it so the upgrade was necessary, but I would've been extremely happy with the Titan XD, especially the price point they're at right now new vs. what I paid for a used Duramax with 50K miles. Don't get me wrong, I love, love the power of my Duramax, but I'd love more the extra $!0K in my bank account since the Titan XD would've met my needs.
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
I agree! My plan was to purchase one, however, Nissan delayed the release another month or two than originally expected which "forced" me into purchasing my 2015 Duramax. I recently test drove the Titan XD for kicks and really liked it. I trailer a Jayco 314BHDS which is almost 10K loaded. I had a half ton that struggled mightily with it so the upgrade was necessary, but I would've been extremely happy with the Titan XD, especially the price point they're at right now new vs. what I paid for a used Duramax with 50K miles. Don't get me wrong, I love, love the power of my Duramax, but I'd love more the extra $!0K in my bank account since the Titan XD would've met my needs.
While the Titan may have had no issue towing your 314, from what some have posted regarding the payload numbers you may have been over pending the family weight and what you load in the truck bed when towing (coolers, firewood, etc).

I would have to find the thread over on woodalls.com to confirm, but I think it was posted the diesel only had about 1700lbs payload per the yellow sticker.

For the right person, definitely could end up being a good tv.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I looked at the Titans and equipped equally a Ram 2500 would be less expensive, especially since they almost won't deal on the Titan... Seems it's too new, and they say the demand is too high. However, I've only seen 2 that weren't still on their lots. Beautiful truck... no doubt about it.
Hmmm, I've not in the last 9-10 months at 2500's, but when I was doing my research on various forums, Auto Trader, etc a loaded RAM, Duramax, or F250 seemed to list around $70K and you could purchase in the low $60s. I heard of some guys breaking $60K, but those were somewhat rare or a special deal. When I test drove the Titan XD a couple weeks ago, a loaded version like the Pro-4X was listing around mid-50s and they were knocking ~$10K off immediately without any negotiation. I buy all my trucks with leather, 4x4, air-conditioned seats (I live in TX), and all the pertinent stuff that goes with that as I spend a lot of time driving in my job. I was only looking at the Cummins as well.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
While the Titan may have had no issue towing your 314, from what some have posted regarding the payload numbers you may have been over pending the family weight and what you load in the truck bed when towing (coolers, firewood, etc).

I would have to find the thread over on woodalls.com to confirm, but I think it was posted the diesel only had about 1700lbs payload per the yellow sticker.

For the right person, definitely could end up being a good tv.
Yeah, so the payload is more on the 1/2 ton truck side of things, but there are reasons for that. I found this article pretty interesting as it discusses some of the trade offs Nissan had to make - 2016 Nissan Titan XD – Towing with the 5/8-Ton Truck. Bottom line, the truck isn't a replacement for a 3/4 ton, but if you find yourself wanting/needing a little more than a 1/2 ton offers the XD is a nice option.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #67

Found the Titan thread. It is an SV model that was purchased, which from what was posted is a little lower model options wise, and a 2wd truck. It has 2000lbs of payload per the sticker. So not as bad as I recall.

Loaded up with 4wd would probably end up being in the 16-1700lbs of payload, or even a little less.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Found the Titan thread. It is an SV model that was purchased, which from what was posted is a little lower model options wise, and a 2wd truck. It has 2000lbs of payload per the sticker. So not as bad as I recall.

Loaded up with 4wd would probably end up being in the 16-1700lbs of payload, or even a little less.
Yeah, I responded to your post, but linked a URL that I think they're having a moderator review. Anyway, interesting article on The Truth About Cars as to what Nissan borrowed from 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton features. For instance, the frame, engine, tranny, and axle are all 3/4 - 1 ton products all mated to what is essentially a 1/2 ton suspension. Interesting that you get the Aisin tranny on the XD, which I believe is the same tranny you get on the 3500 RAM!

And you're right, Pro4X payload is 1700 lbs.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #69

Interesting on the "pending post"....

I have read the Titan XD has a lot beefier running gear vs the "normal" 1500. Sounds like it could be a contender, and the Big 3 better figure out if there is a demand for a truck like this. Be nice if a well equipped 4wd crew cab would have 2000lbs of payload.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #70

Either truck will do the job. The diesel will give you better fuel economy and power but the gas engine is bullet proof. If the money doesn't matter, I would go with the diesel. I have had two Chevy's, a 2500 Duramax and currently have a 3500 dually diesel and love the power the diesel's have. With the weight you are pulling you could technically get away with a half ton gas. Good luck!
Cinci002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #71

Greetings,
I had an 06 Durango with a gas burning 5.7 Hemi and towing package and was getting about 8 MPG towing 18/20 without, after taking it with the 28RLS to the Smokey Mountains, the Durango had enough power to accelerate up the hills and no problems braking, but just not the weight I felt for the trailer, (@8000 lbs fully loaded), my wife graciously told me to get a new truck ,

Hence my 2016 Silverado, 2500DH, crew cab, diesel 4x4 with the towing package. I love the truck, I'm getting about 12/13 MPG towing and 20-23 without it. Now if you're heavy on the foot, you'll probably get about 15-18 MPG, but I don't accelerate fast or try not to do fast stops. My only minus is it takes 3.5 lanes to do a U turn and going front ways into a parking spot its fun because of the turning radius, backing in is easier and the rear view camera make it easy to back in.

I did (you need to) a bit of homework, internet, forums, and talked to some friends on why they liked a truck and what they didn't. I decided I wanted a diesel, better mileage, diesels usually last longer than gas burners, but yes higher maintenance cost. From what I saw, if you plan to keep the truck longer than 100,000 miles (the break even point were diesel is better than gas burner), diesel is better and will last longer, if not, go gas burner.

I also picked the towing package, well, because we're towing otherwise why be in this forum. 4x4 because I wanted 4x4 just in case I needed it (with or without the trailer), crew cab because larger back seats (all my kids are grown up). I also got the towing mirrors, they're nice, but I got the manual ones, I'm thinking I should have spent the extra and got the automatic ones, I've occasionally started driving, then remembered i didn't pull the mirrors out.
Good Luck.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #72

I had a 2002 2500 chevy with the 6.0 gas engine and upgraded to a 3500 duramax, single rear wheels , not a dually. The HP difference was night and day. I love the diesel, I pull a Jayco eagle 321rlms weighing in around 11000 lbs. The diesel just plays with it unlike the 6.0 really struggled. My mileage pulling the camper was around 6 with the gas, and is now around 13 with the diesel. I purchased a 3500 because its only like $500.00 more than a 2500 and the license tabs are a fraction of the cost.
monkeyguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #73

Welcome to JOF @ Monkeyguts.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #74

Diesel vs Gas

Hello
I have been following the topic of Diesel versus gas with interest. A lot of good comments
One point was made about trailer size and the fact a regular truck would do fine
I'm in that boat with a 26 foot trailer pulled by a Tundra
Does just fine with the 5.7
However I'm interested in the new Titan with the Cummins diesel or a 250 Ford
Now here in Ontario Canada you can buy a small house for the same price as a truck (.where I live)
So it will be a decision not taken lightly
The point on the forum that got me thinking
If I bought a diesel and maintain it with the plan of keeping it long term
What features should I be asking about at purchase for an eventual purchase upgrade to a fifth wheel?
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #75

As you've seen, a lot of good comments.
My Durango with the 5.7 Hemi had no problem accelerating or stopping the 8000 lbs trailer even in the Smokey Mountains, but it was a bear to drive over 50 MPH due to the Durango not having the weight. Remember towing an RV trailer with have more wind resistance than a boat.

Even with my truck (2016 Silverado) there were a lot of factors as to what I can tow based on which engine, bed size, cab size, 4x4, towing package (electrical hookups prewired) etc, Each one had a different max towing (hitch max was different that 5th wheel towing), not just the advertised "this truck (chevy,ford,toyota) has a MAX towing of XXXXX", that is with a specific truck setup/configuration. So make sure you do your homework and look a little deeper in the truck you buy. Also what your expected trailer weight or what might you upgrade to.

I already had the bumper dragging trailer when I got my current truck, but look at the bed hitch and truck bed size and hitch types you'll need. some hitches don't move and you'll need a long bed to do tight turns with the trailer, others "slide" to give you extra room, but you need a certain bed size.
Have Fun
Old 10-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #76

I think more important than buying with a particular tow weight in mind, is payload capacity. It's very easy to tow a trailer that's within a trucks towing weight capacity, and be heavy enough to stress the axles and suspension. We bought a 2500 Ram with the Cummins, which had a 17000 tow capacity, but the truck only had a 2400 lb payload. Take a family with you and you're down to 1800 lbs or so. That would be an issue to keep a medium sized trail in spec, and near impossible for a fifth wheel. Many will say you'll be fine, but the question should be will your insurance pay out if overloaded and have an incident.

We had to trade up to a 3500. Just do your homework with that in mind!

Hope it helps!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
You could tow that with a 1500/F150 so you'll be fine with the 2500 in pretty much any configuration you can get.
I like this reply.short and hits the point.Yes the f150 would be adequate.I tow a jayco sport 197 with a 2006 tundra 4.7 litre.thats 285 cubic inches for the uninitiated.Under 300 HP and it rocks the Coquihalla Hiway which is hi mountain and many hills.the diesles are very nice and torquey but the outlay could be better spent on a nice trailer.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
I think more important than buying with a particular tow weight in mind, is payload capacity. It's very easy to tow a trailer that's within a trucks towing weight capacity, and be heavy enough to stress the axles and suspension. We bought a 2500 Ram with the Cummins, which had a 17000 tow capacity, but the truck only had a 2400 lb payload. Take a family with you and you're down to 1800 lbs or so. That would be an issue to keep a medium sized trail in spec, and near impossible for a fifth wheel. Many will say you'll be fine, but the question should be will your insurance pay out if overloaded and have an incident.

We had to trade up to a 3500. Just do your homework with that in mind!

Hope it helps!
I have never found a case where yellow sticker numbers were used to deny coverage. This point gets thrown out often but I believe you are covered for mistakes in judgment, poor reflexes and even if you did not know there was even a sticker on your door jamb. That sticker protects the manufacturer and that's the extent of it. Overloaded is when stuff is falling over the bed rails
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #79

I upgraded my truck before upgrading my camper. I knew we were going bigger and heavier but didn't know how much. So, I traded my '11 F-150 in on my '14 Ram diesel in July '14 and it was $26K. I really thought about going to a bigger camper than we got, but decided against it. We ended up spending only $16K to upgrade. My old camper was about 6000# loaded and the new one's about 1500# more. The F-150 struggled at times with the old camper, and would have struggled more with the new one. The diesel has been worth it for us. It just turned over 45K miles and 10K of that has been towing. When I retire.... less that 2 weeks ........ we'll be towing more. That's another reason I went on and got the diesel. But, if you're not towing all that much, maybe a gasser is a better choice. We can advise and share experiences, but only you know your finances and needs... so best of luck with your decision. Safe travels!
Old 10-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I upgraded my truck before upgrading my camper. I knew we were going bigger and heavier but didn't know how much. So, I traded my '11 F-150 in on my '14 Ram diesel in July '14 and it was $26K. I really thought about going to a bigger camper than we got, but decided against it. We ended up spending only $16K to upgrade. My old camper was about 6000# loaded and the new one's about 1500# more. The F-150 struggled at times with the old camper, and would have struggled more with the new one. The diesel has been worth it for us. It just turned over 45K miles and 10K of that has been towing. When I retire.... less that 2 weeks ........ we'll be towing more. That's another reason I went on and got the diesel. But, if you're not towing all that much, maybe a gasser is a better choice. We can advise and share experiences, but only you know your finances and needs... so best of luck with your decision. Safe travels!

This is spot on, I went with the 6.4L Hemi it fit my need but I know that my need is totally difference from others needs. Congrats on your retirement early, I did it almost three years ago and love it.

But I find myself more busy now than when I was working at a job, I tell myself where did I find the time at when I was working. Life is good and live it to the fullest, well within means.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2500, diesel, gas