Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #1

Question GM Duramax programmer?

what is a good brand of programmer especially for the DURAMAX(03).Just looking for a small power increase.I have the 4in exhuast allready so wanting to make the next step.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #2

I am assuming you are talking about diesel?

H&S and Edge are two I know of the top of my head that have a pretty good rep. There are others, Bully Dog, Banks, Quadzilla, etc. You can do a search on the net for diesel performance places and see what they have to offer. I personally use http://www.doghousediesel.com/

I use a Smarty on my Ram. But, they only make for Dodge only.

I would also look into getting a CAI (cold air intake).
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

I put an Edge on my 03 6.0 PS. There are more expensive and better options out there but I just wanted a little more power at a resonable cost. I think I paid about $350.00 for the setup which included the EGT sensor and dash mount. This unit works very well for me and gives a noticable power increase and tranny firm up while towing. The sluggish starts I get from stock are gone. I too have 4" exhuast which is a must before tuning so your set there. I keep it on econo for daily driving and that gives it a boost too.

There is a history and alarms you can set for all the fluid temps which is nice. Should you hit the max you set your unit will flash red indicating a problem. The speed, EGT, RPM and boost are always shown on my unit which I like as well.

For the price and perfomance on mine I am very happy. How it would work on a GM diesel I cannot say. Maybe go into one of the Duramax forums and dig around.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

Your best bet is to stay away from the canned tunes. Go with something that you can get custom tunes for. Something like a SCT is a popular brand.
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
Your best bet is to stay away from the canned tunes. Go with something that you can get custom tunes for. Something like a SCT is a popular brand.
Why is that?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #6

No programmer ever on my truck. Don't need one, don't want the potential for problems and I have more power now than I need and I get 12.5 mpg towing and 19-20 empty.
I am now out of warranty so I don't have that to worry about. I just don't see the need.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
Why is that?
Some of the canned tunes are not transmission friendly. Some add a bunch of power to the engine but don't do much with the transmission. Although I guess if you aren't going to be using the highest level of tune things may be ok. I don't know this from experience, just from reading I have done and mostly concerning Ford.

I guess it's just something to be aware of when choosing a tuner.

I had an Edge on my 03 for a short period but removed it after reading some of the tranny horror stories. It sure woke up the truck though.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

Find a reputable tuning shop in your area that works on Duramax engines and get EFI live. This is a custom tune for your truck with your specific modifications accounted for. These tunes will be more efficient, which means that unless you want it, they shouldn't smoke that much. Head over to dieselplace.com if you haven't already, tons on information over there.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #9

Do some reading here. http://www.dieselplace.com It is a Chevy site.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #10

I have a Bullydog power pup that I am very happy with... I use the tow-haul mode and on the trip home just now got 14 mpg... going solo I use the power setting... WARNING do not use the crazy larry setting it will put your tranny in limp mode... ( but as soon as you use the power programmer to clear the codes all will be fine) doing that too often will damage your tranny..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
Some of the canned tunes are not transmission friendly. Some add a bunch of power to the engine but don't do much with the transmission. Although I guess if you aren't going to be using the highest level of tune things may be ok. I don't know this from experience, just from reading I have done and mostly concerning Ford.

I guess it's just something to be aware of when choosing a tuner.

I had an Edge on my 03 for a short period but removed it after reading some of the tranny horror stories. It sure woke up the truck though.
I agree, the transmission is usually the weak link in this situation. Added horsepower/torque can kill a stock transmission real fast. Especially, If you are not smart using it. Use it in small portions.

On my Ram I have the Smarty Jr. A basic tuner with 40/70/100 hp options and some options for Timing and torque management. I use the 40 (Economy) mode around town and the 70 (Towing) when towing. I always keep the torque management on "stock". And easy on the acceleration. I have been using mine this way for about 3 years.

Not much you can do to stock transmissions to deal with HP increases. Some tuners can increase line pressure to keep more pressure on the clutches etc. to prevent slipping. You can also install a shift kit, valve body, etc. But, if you want/use big HP, tow a lot with heavy loads, lead foot, performance truck, then you will need to upgrade your transmission (valve body, clutches, input/output shafts, etc etc).

But, in the end...as long as you understand what you are doing and do not abuse the added "modest" gains....IMHO, you will be ok using a tuner.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #12

I bought a 2005 Chevy Duramax 2500 4X4 brand new. Added an Edge w/Attitude the first year. I have towed and driven all over the east coast. Much of the 120,000 miles were with a 17,000 pound 5th wheel behind it. No engine or transmission troubles at all. Of course, while towing the big weight, I kept the programmer in mode 1. When driving with no trailer I use mode 3. Nothing higher. It goes all the way to mode 5. I kept hearing of troubles with programmers but I've had nothing but good luck. Also like the added gauges and alarms that get added with the programmer like the exhaust gas temp and alarm.
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTed View Post
I bought a 2005 Chevy Duramax 2500 4X4 brand new. Added an Edge w/Attitude the first year. I have towed and driven all over the east coast. Much of the 120,000 miles were with a 17,000 pound 5th wheel behind it. No engine or transmission troubles at all. Of course, while towing the big weight, I kept the programmer in mode 1. When driving with no trailer I use mode 3. Nothing higher. It goes all the way to mode 5. I kept hearing of troubles with programmers but I've had nothing but good luck. Also like the added gauges and alarms that get added with the programmer like the exhaust gas temp and alarm.
When I had mine on my truck I used level 5 once. It was unreal.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #14

I have a hypertec. The reason I got this one is they advertise the tunes are all tow safe. I have towed in all three stages without issues. Do to fuel prices I have had it on stage one for some time now.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote