Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #1

Hayes Sway Control

I am considering the Hayes Sway Master product over the Lippert Sway Command product that Jayco uses. In addition to the Lippert's 2016 recall, it requires drilling hole in the front cap - just don't want to do that.

Is anyone using the Hayes product? I understand that it uses gps to determine speed and engages the TT brakes accordingly. Its "plug n play design is also very appealing. But, does it work well? Any experienced based opinions/thoughts on the Hayes Sway Master?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

I guess there is not much interest or experience with this product. I have not pulled the trigger on it. I do not want to drill holes in my A-Frame, and I am not sure that I want more electronic stuff to fiddle with or be stranded by.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
I guess there is not much interest or experience with this product. I have not pulled the trigger on it. I do not want to drill holes in my A-Frame, and I am not sure that I want more electronic stuff to fiddle with or be stranded by.
I was sort of interested in this when I first read about it, but decided to go mechanical instead. After a very windy week on the road with my Husky Centerline TS WD hitch, I'm comfortable with my decision. The downside with the Hayes system is that it still doesn't do anything about weight distribution, and my hitch is only rated to 600 lbs without a WDH. Even my 24' TT puts me up to or past that limit, so I decided to be better safe than sorry.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #4

Just my opinion here but it only masks the fact you are getting sway while towing. I personally will NOT take that chance with my family and my nearly $100k rolling down the highway! The website says it eliminates sway by applying brakes to all axle brakes at the same time...that is NOT eliminating sway...it is only controlling it after it has started. With a ProPride or Hensley hitch, sway never gets started. It mechanically is eliminated. I don't rely on electronics that will probably fail when I need them the most.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #5

Well-said. I agree with you guys. I would love a Hensley or ProPride someday. I cannot handle the cost or the weight of the units right now.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

The cost definitely deters most people. I looked at it as the total cost of all the camping gear and the money for the best hitch is pretty small. The cap for my new Ram was the same price! And to think we started camping because it was cheaper than big vacations! LOL We camp because we LOVE it!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #7

True - I often tell people when they purchase their trailer, "Now get ready to spend a few grand getting it all dialed-in."