Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Help for a "Newbie"

We are in the process of buying a Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL, and would like thoughts and recommendations on hitch selection and the need (or not) for weight distributing hitch and sway control (what I really fear). But first, the numbers:

Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL:

Length: 30' 11", "dry weight": 5500, GVW: 7500, tongue weight: 610, CCC (per sticker on trailer): 1767. Regarding loading, this trailer has a front "basement" a couple of feet behind the hitch and is the principal storage area.

Tow Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 QC/LB/SRW (Diesel w/ 48RE auto, 4:10 rear axle, and Class 4 OEM receiver. FWIW: Also has Firestone Ride Rite air springs, I previously towed a fifth wheel).

My Questions:

1. Is a weight distributing hitch needed for this combination?
2. Is an anti-sway device needed for this combination?
3. What hitches should I consider (brands) and the virtues/shortcomings of them?

I posted this on RV.NET and got some info. One response suggested a weight distribution hitch wouldn't be a good idea, since distributing weight from the truck's rear axle to the front would add more load on the front axle which already has that heavy "oil burner" sitting over it.

I want to be safe, and want to be as stress free as one can be towing. Thanks for your thoughts.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've always thought any TT of this size required a WDH. I just bought and Equilizer E2 system from Etrailer. They have some good prices. I would think a 800/8000 system would be required. 800/8000 is the WDH rating. Meaning up to 800 lbs tongue weight, 8000 lbs pull weight. The E2 has anti-sway control built in.
As far as the set-up, you set the WDH so that the front of your TV is the same or just slightly higher than when it is unloaded. So, bascially, you shouldn't be adding more weight to the front axel, just returning it to a position so that you have the weight similar to your unloaded value for steering control.
Might also want to read the Towing section of this forum. They have a lot of good information I am sure.
You can also call your local Jayco dealer and see what they recommend. Then shop around.
Installing myself, I saved enough to pay for my winter storage. Only took about 1 hour and very straight forward.

Best regards,
Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

My trailer has the same GVW and we started with a regular WDH hitch cuz that's what came with the deal and that was all the salesman said we needed. We quickly realized with the F150 we had at the time that anti-sway was what we really needed. We decided on a Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH and we love it. We also upgraded the truck too but haven't towed our trailer yet with it. Next weekend we are going away. I would go Equlizer E4 or Reese Straight-line. They have a good price point as well.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

+1, good catch on the E4. I have a much smaller trailer.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

Went out to the truck this am and the answers to my questions were right in the glovebox (owner's manual). The truck was equipped with the towing prep package, which means the receiver bolted to the frame is a Class IV. Dodge further recommends and encourages the use of a weight distributing/anti-sway hitch in Class3/Class4 towing applications. The manual even describes proper loading procedures for the trailer, recommending 60-65% of trailer weight be carried forward of the trailer axles and the gross tongue weight should be at least 10% but no more than 15% of the gross trailer weight.

One more question: Do any of the WD/Anti-Sway hitches interfere with maneuvering, such as backing in to a campsite, or sharp turns?

Appreciate the input. The dealer that is selling us the trailer (Orlando RV) does sell Reese products, and included a special price for purchase/installation of a Reese Pro Series SC hitch or Reese Dual Cam hitch.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #6

I am running 1200lb bars on mine. My dry tongue weight is 790 lbs. I have never weighed the tongue but would guess with full water tanks and propane 2 batteries up there it would be close to 1000. My wife is more relaxed with the new hitch as well which makes life better for me too.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thomasmnile,

Welcome to the JOF forums First off, IMO you have a very capable TV and it won't be an issue handling your new White Hawk, especially once you have your WDH sized/adjusted properly.

Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL: When looking into selecting/sizing any WDH, it's best to think in terms of "loaded" TT weights. Since we all have different loading habits, I offer the following example of a "loaded" 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL:

TT Loaded Weight: (5,400lbs UVW) + (250lbs for ship weight) + (125lbs; dealer battery, WDH, etc.) + (700lbs cargo/stuff, not including fluids) = 6,475lbs

TT Loaded Tongue Weight: 13% to 15% of 6,475lbs = 841lbs to 971lbs Worst condition based on TT GVWR of 7,500lbs = 975lbs to 1,125lbs. RV and WDH manufactures recommend a 10% to 15% range, but when towing the longer TT's a 13% to 15% range provides enhance TV handling characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
snip..... 1. Is a weight distributing hitch needed for this combination?....snip
If your TV's OEM receiver is rated (stamped on receiver) to support the "loaded" weights of the 27DSRL TT in "weight carrying mode", then a WDH isn't required. IMO the advantage of having a WDH under these conditions is that it will enhance the TV's handling characteristics under less than ideal towing conditions. Also, one has to be diligent in confirming that the TT's loaded weights don't exceed the OEM receiver's "weight carrying limits".

Quote:
snip...... 2. Is an anti-sway device needed for this combination?......snip
Under ideal towing, weather, traffic, TV/TT set-up conditions..., a sway device may not be needed. But having a sway device when you do need it sure can influence a positive outcome should a sway event materialize.

Quote:
snip...... 3. What hitches should I consider (brands) and the virtues/shortcomings of them??......snip
If it were my TV/TT combination and taking into consideration that the 27DSRL is a 31ft TT, I would look into a Reese HP Dual Cam WDH brand product OR a Equal-i-zer WDH brand product. Both have integrated sway control and are equally as effective. With the Reese WDH product only the spring bars have to be changed to upgraded the weight rating, with the Equal-i-zer the whole WDH has to be changed out. The Reese Dual Cam design provides a level of sway resistance "prior" to a sway event, the Equal-i-zer doesn't. The Equal-i-zer WDH is said to be easier to set-up/adjust. Both products are popular, quality built, and have a proven track record.

With your TV/TT combination I would consider a WDH spring bar rated at 1,000lb minimumm....., if you feel you will be loading closer to the TT's GVWR then a 1,200lb rated spring bar would be recommended. Before purchasing any WDH confirm that there isn't any WDH restrictions stamped on the TT's A-frame.

Quote:
snip...... One response suggested a weight distribution hitch wouldn't be a good idea, since distributing weight from the truck's rear axle to the front would add more load on the front axle which already has that heavy "oil burner" sitting over it......snip
Interesting statement to say the least . I mentioned earlier the conditions required that a WDH could be omitted, and the "oil burner" weight is a moot point. Proper sizing/set-up/adjustment of any WDH when utilized will insure that the correct weight is maintained over the TV's front axle, that's why every TV/TT combination should should visit a CAT scale at least once under loaded conditions.

CAT scale visit: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #8

Rustic Eagle: Thanks for the info. I crawled under the truck and didn't see anything stamped on it. The owner's manual indicates the receiver is a Class IV, as the truck was equipped with the factory tow prep package. The receiver is bolted to the frame rails. The bumper is prepped to accommodate a bumper mount ball, which is clearly marked as a Class III hitch rating. The manual also strongly encourages the use of WD/Anti-Sway hitch. I'm all for that if it takes some of the potential "thrill" out of towing. Bumper pull is a new experience for me, as I previously was towing a 5th wheel that weighs twice what the White Hawk does empty.

Went to the dealer today to sign our lives away and schedule Orientation/PDI. They sell/recommend the Reese Pro Series SC WD hitch. Are you familiar with it?

I see you're from Michigan. I was born in Coldwater and lived in Lansing, Jackson, & Detroit growing up. God willing and the river don't rise, our first big trip with the new rig will be to the Mackinaw City area next summer!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You can look it up here ans see how it's rated. Also, they usually have a picture and installation procedure.

etrailer.com

Best regards,
Doug
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a video from Manufacturer
Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... They sell/recommend the Reese Pro Series SC WD hitch. Are you familiar with it?.....snip
Yes, the Reese SC (sway control) WDH is similar to the design of the Equal-i-zer brand WDH.., both have integrated sway control. The "Reese SC" WDH is one step down from the "Reese HP Dual Cam WDH" (Reese Strait Line WDH).

Please note: The Reese "Pro-Series" WDH is just a standard WDH (no integrated sway control).

If I had to choose between a "Reese SC" WDH and "Equal-i-zer" WDH, I would pick the Equal-i-zer...., but that's just me.

What ever brand/style WDH you select, make sure you watch the dealer tech install/adjust the WDH, and gather all the WDH documentation for future reference. The dealer tech (if he adjusts it correctly) will be setting up the WDH based on "unloaded" TV/TT weights..., the WDH will have to be adjusted one more time at a later date under TV/TT "loaded" conditions.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #12

I have this with integrated active sway control from Husky[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #13

For simple peace of mind alone I would definitely recommend using a WDH hitch as they definitely assist in properly distributing the weight between the TV and trailer. You will get several recommendations from people as to the type or brand to buy so I would suggest that you do your research first before buying. I don't think you could go wrong with either the Equalizer or Reese dual cam, but then Husky makes a good product too. One thing is for sure, you definitely have a very capable TV.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Yes, the Reese SC (sway control) WDH is similar to the design of the Equal-i-zer brand WDH.., both have integrated sway control. The "Reese SC" WDH is one step down from the "Reese HP Dual Cam WDH" (Reese Strait Line WDH).

Please note: The Reese "Pro-Series" WDH is just a standard WDH (no integrated sway control).

If I had to choose between a "Reese SC" WDH and "Equal-i-zer" WDH, I would pick the Equal-i-zer...., but that's just me.

What ever brand/style WDH you select, make sure you watch the dealer tech install/adjust the WDH, and gather all the WDH documentation for future reference. The dealer tech (if he adjusts it correctly) will be setting up the WDH based on "unloaded" TV/TT weights..., the WDH will have to be adjusted one more time at a later date under TV/TT "loaded" conditions.

Bob
Thanks for the info. and clarification. After visiting the Reese site and studying their product offerings, I contacted our dealer and asked him to get and install a Reese Strait-Line hitch(dealer advised the 800 lb model would work based on the White Hawk's weight numbers and our TV).A little pricey, especially the installation charge, but since I know little/nothing about this type of hitch.........money well spent to me. I'll make sure to get all documentation that comes with the hitch when we do the PDI/Orientation.