Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Help Me Choose a TV

I'll be purchasing a TV in the next 2 weeks in prep for our 22bhm which should be in by the end of October.

I'm between a Ram Big Horn (Hemi of course) & Ford F150.

I'd appreciate any advice of pros or cons.

Thanks
Jay Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The Ram will have limited cargo capacity where as the F150 can be equipped to handle a lot more weight. Towing wise you will be happy with both. Get the Ram in Hemi, 8 speed and 3.92 gears and if you go F150, get 3.5 eco boost and 3.73 gears although 3.55's will pull fine.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

Without looking up your tt specs, either should do the job just fine without any issues. Only thing to watch is make sure the truck you choose has enough payload for the family, any accessories you may add to the truck (tonneau cover/ truck topper, step bats, bed liner, etc), any cargo you have in the truck bed (coolers, firewood, etc), the wdh, and the tt tw.

Just make sure the truck has the towing package.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the good info / education.

I'm really liking the look and ride of the Ram, but also heard good things on the 150's eco boost.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #5

The eco boost is the fastest V6 I've ever driven. It equals, or out tows a LOT of V8's out there with a ton of torque for what it is, and when you aren't towing, it gets pretty good MPG. I can't say anything wrong about them. Just my 2 cents. I can pull my mostly loaded TT up to the top of the continental divide doing 65mph.. 25+ miles of steep grade all the way. (I'd go faster, but the tires....) I think it's a great truck and the newer ones are even better than my 2012.

I'd only trade in my ecoboost for a diesel and then I'd look at Ram, but I'm not ready to dump 60K on a new truck quite yet.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

Help Me Choose a TV

Ram!

Read about too many issues with the ecobust motors .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

I was a die hard V8 guy for years UNTIL I bought an ecoboost. I can't believe the way my truck yanks around my trailer. For me the choice is simple but I've driven nothing but Fords for well over 20 years...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #8
PMC

Had an ecoboost (2012) for 4 years and 40k miles, didn't have any real issues with it and it made a ton of power. We pulled our 7.5k pound trailer over the Continental Divide at 9400 feet and it pulled as hard up there as it did at sea level (thank you big turbo).
The only thing that annoyed me (besides the wiper switch going out) was an intermittent check engine light that came on twice during the time I had it. The dealership wasn't concerned as the one time I'd scheduled it to be checked it went off a couple days before my appointment and actually ran fine the whole time.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #9

Ford guy here, I'd get the 150. Know I'm biased but it's in my blood. The best whatever you pick!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #10

Ram would be my one and only choice; but just as Ford guys are biased about their "TV" ride, so am I! I'd suggest you take each for a good ride first and check them out. Get the feel of each. Afterward you'll know what you like or don't like about each and is best suited to you and your needs and it won't be someone else convincing you.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #11

Definitely check out the actual payload on any RAM 1500 you are looking at. Higher trim levels such as the Big Horn can have rather low payloads, especially if you get them with 4x4 and full crew cab.

If you can find one with the 3.92 axle that would be ideal but given the size of the 22BHM you would still be fine with the 3.21 axle along with the 5.7L Hemi and 8-speed tranny. That is still an 8000lb tow capacity but you'll probably be short on payload before you reach that in the higher trim level.

Also, the larger fuel tank is great to have when towing so I'd recommend that. It's a separate option from the factory tow package.

I looked at F150's as well but at the time, almost 3 years ago, with the available incentives I got a better appointed and more comfortable truck for less $$. With 10k towing miles over the last two seasons we are pleased with how the whole set up is working.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:08 AM   #12

Very exciting - Happy for you!

Our Hemi RAM 1500 is a (std cab long bed) Tradesman model with a full tow package (drivetrain, rear end, electric/digital, and hitch). Excluding the chrome package (bumpers and wheels), she is a plain Jane in a summer dress, a work truck with a shiny lunch box. We do not want or need a lot of bells and whistles. We wanted the drivetrain and tow equipment.

Our RAM is a very solid, reliable workhorse and performer (cruises and hauls like a champ). With 65K on the OD, we have had zero issues. It gets super mpg and rides great. We feel our RAM is the best vehicle investment that we have ever made, even better than our Camry. I know a lot of Ford owners feel the same about their F'ees, and they should. Both are proven trucks.

I installed Sumo Super Spring coils (rubber helpers) to the front because we mounted a class III receiver for bikes and a nice rack; they also help with the WD under load. I also installed Firestone Work-Rite "bump stop" springs in the rear. Both have been worthy investments. They make a difference with cornering, spring travel over bumps and rolls in the road, sudden braking, and windy conditions. They do not impact the unloaded ride and handling, but they help just enough under a load to maintain handling and stability at speed. It is fine without them, but INMO the suspension helpers are a wise investment; they are an easy and affordable mod that provide a decent performance nudge under load.

With a good WD hitch, you will love either truck. I would keep your budget and go for the one that feels best to you when you drive it. Don't focus on the digital gizmos and superfluous adornments. Which one do you want to drive the most? Sometimes, when vehicles flesh out equally with performance pros and cons, it comes down to the lines and visual aesthetics. For me, I think about the overall visual appeal since I will be the one detailing it. It may sound weird, but I do think about how much I will enjoy cleaning and caring for a particular vehicle. That's why I wanted some chrome on our modest RAM. I put a lot of sweat into the maintenance of our investments, so I look for vehicles that look sweet to me after I bust my butt on them - helps me stay motivated in their care. I definitely enjoy detailing the RAM more than the "jelly bean" sterile pedestrian Camry. Just me, and I am a bit of a fanatic. Pick one and post your pics!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #13

Looked at both Fords and Rams myself before buying. I went with an F150 w/the Ecoboost. I personally like the F150 better. They are both good trucks.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

I can only speak to my F150 purchase, but I would assume there are similar towing and payload options available to equip the Ram. Pick the one that puts a smile on your face while driving it.

The F150 on the dealer's lot, will not have the same capabilities as the F150 in the brochure that is rated to pull 12,000 lbs and has 3000 lbs of payload. While these capacities may not be necessary for your current TT, if you are hoping to leave your self the option of a larger trailer with the same TV, try to find a truck factory equipped for towing. On the F150, the Tow Package is not the same as the Max Tow package and Max Tow Package is not the same as a Heavy Duty Payload Equipped truck. These packages are available, your dealer may have to look a little harder for them. In most cases, payload will be your limiting factor not what the truck is rated to tow. The more luxury items you have on the truck, the lower your available payload will be as the truck advertised in the brochure as having the highest payload and tow ratings is not the Lariat or Platinum.

Pay attention to the payload and tow ratings of the truck you are buying, not what is in the brochures.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #15

Both are adequate enough for your needs. It all comes down to price and what you like.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #16

Purchase made.

2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab

Love this Truck!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dreamer View Post
Purchase made.

2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab

Love this Truck!

Nice! You'll be happy you went with the Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote