Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

Help please! Hitch set up problem.

Background: when I first bought the truck I had Tinbren spring helpers installed because the ride was very bouncy while towing. I later found out my hitch was set up improperly for the TT I had at that time. 6 months later I bought a new camper and the dealership I bought the camper from helped me set the hitch up to the new camper by measuring the sag front/rear at the fenders.

Current issue: the truck is riding brutally rough when towing so I decided to go to the scale and see how it weighed out. I found the rear axle of my truck had 700 lbs more on it than the front. Evidently the Timbrens really messed up the sag measurements.

I added 2 more washers to my eaz lift hitch to max it out at 8 washers to tilt the head some more and it transferred 200 more lbs to the the front axle now there was 500 lbs difference.

My TT has a dry tongue weight of 775 so I thought my 800 lb spring bars were overloaded so I borrowed a set of 1000 lb spring bars from a buddy. The 1000 lb bars transferred 300 more lbs so I am down to a 200 lb difference between the front and rear.

Not sure what to do now. Reading the sticky on how to weigh your rig I see that anything more than 50 lbs is not good. How do I get more transfer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Collin
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #2

When setting up your hitch, it's about measuring the height of your front fenders before you hook up, and after hooking up, the WDH should bring your front fender height to the same or a bit higher. It's not about balancing the weight between the two.
jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
When setting up your hitch, it's about measuring the height of your front fenders before you hook up, and after hooking up, the WDH should bring your front fender height to the same or a bit higher. It's not about balancing the weight between the two.
I went back and read the sticky on weighing the TV and realize I misunderstood the weight transfer. It transfers enough weight to return the front axle weight to its unloaded weight. My mistake is thinking the weights should be equal...okay I understand now. Back to the scales now.

Thanks
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote