Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Hitch hooks and weight capacity

I am having a news trailer delivered in Feb and I got to wondering about what weight capacity might be needed if I purchased some locking d rings for the chains. The trailer I am buying is going to be less than 10000lbs. I this case would a d ring with a weight limit of 5000 lbs be fine (obviously one on each side) or do I need something bigger. I am also needing new chains for my boat so the same concept would apply. Since I will need one chain per side of the hitch does that mean I split the weight per chain (and d-ring)?

Also if I did use the locking d-ring is it okay to leave it connected to the hooks on the hitch and just inspect it every so often for wear and rust and damage?
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

I believe the chain and hooks should individually have a breaking force >= the TT GVWR, not 1/2 the TT weight rating.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
snip...... have a breaking force >= the TT GVWR, not 1/2 the TT weight rating.
X2

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #4

Little clarification, what would a D-ring do for you? I think you are looking for information on a “Threaded Quick Link” as shown. I am thinking you want to install it semi permanently to the safety chain eyes on your TV, and leave them there. Then when you want to hook up your trailers, you would connect the safety chain hooks to the link, for added length. Can you confirm what I think you are asking.

I am not sure how you size one for your trailer. Just remember if you need your safety chains there will be a high initial impact force on them, as you get the first snap, after that the tongue will just be supported on the chains. A 3/8” quick link can handle about 650 pounds and a ˝ quick link can handle about 1100 pounds (each). If they fit, I would just use the 1/2” quick link to be safe.

Otherwise if you are thinking you want to add the quick link to the end of the safety chains so that you know that they will stay connected, because you do not trust the new spring loaded clips on the S-hooks, do not worry about it, they will hold up in an emergency.

I was going to upload photos of the three type of clips/links but the system will not allow me to upload at the moment. I will try again later.

In the mean time google image Quick Links, D-Ring, and S hooks with wire keeper.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I believe the chain and hooks should individually have a breaking force >= the TT GVWR, not 1/2 the TT weight rating.
So The trailer is a 23MBH and the GVWR is 6500 lbs. That means that the each chain and associated hook/quick link will need to be rated for greater than 6500 lbs?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I think you are looking for information on a “Threaded Quick Link” as shown. I am thinking you want to install it semi permanently to the safety chain eyes on your TV, and leave them there. Then when you want to hook up your trailers, you would connect the safety chain hooks to the link, for added length. Can you confirm what I think you are asking.

Otherwise if you are thinking you want to add the quick link to the end of the safety chains so that you know that they will stay connected, because you do not trust the new spring loaded clips on the S-hooks, do not worry about it, they will hold up in an emergency.
Yes I was actually asking about the threaded quick link, although a D-ring would work (I think). Also I want to add the quick link to the safety chain eyes for two reasons: The trailer chains might be two long and I want to have a way to shorten them. The chains on the boat do not have the S hook so I need a way to attach them. I will admit that I really do not want to have to unhook anything from the safety eyes because we tow our trailer to our campground and then turn around and hook up the boat at the storage place for the quick trip to the lake.

Thanks for the info
Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
So The trailer is a 23MBH and the GVWR is 6500 lbs. That means that the each chain and associated hook/quick link will need to be rated for greater than 6500 lbs?
On second thought, I think the important weight really is you TT tongue weight. Safety chains are intended to support the wright of the entire TT but rather the TW, and for a very limited time.

I actually did exactly what you want to do. My threaded links have a 3300 SWL, I think they are 5/8". Additionally I leave them attached to my TV hitch always and then connect the safety chain hooks to them. My safety chains are just a bit short and I needed the extension to get the disconnected.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #8

If each safety chain needs to be rated for the weight of the trailer, then you need to be looking into something like 3/8" proof coil chain and some threaded lifting shackles. I can guarantee you that the OEM safety chains are not heat treated proof coil chain that has a breaking strength greater than the weight of the trailer.

Take a look at the fastener(s) that attach the safety chains to the frame as well and it/they would need to meet or exceed the breaking strength of the chain. Many TT's have a single 3/8" bolt through the center link of a single length of chain. I used a single length of 3/8" non-proof coil chain from TSC on my 23B because I couldn't find a pair of ready made chains long enough to allow some sag when they were hooked up.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
snip.... Many TT's have a single 3/8" bolt through the center link of a single length of chain......snip
Very true, and I often wondered if this one bolt into the A-frame when using a single length of chain was the weakest point when taking into consideration safety chain standards (Federal and/or State)......., I guess it would be considered an individual "attachment" and have to meet the same standards.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

First MOD I did was upgrading the snap hooks on the chains for 2 reasons
1. They would not fit the connection points properly on the hitch (connected at an awkward angle)
2. They were rated at the dry weight of the TT not the gross weight (even if they are only to support the TW, you never know)

$12 a piece from your local hardware store
Just my .02

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote