Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Chickeneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 136
How many use a Jeep Wrangler unlimited as a TV

Hey everyone just curious if anyone pulls an ultra light or hybrid or new Hummingbird with a Jeep Wrangler 4dr. I am going to attempt to pull my new Hummingbird 17RB when it gets here with my Jeep Wrangler. I've modified my Jeep. Suspension lift with air bags for extra weight support in the rear because Jeep suspension is know for being soft. I've lowered the gearing in it to comp also and running a manual transmission.

Just curious on everyone's two cents


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 11,228
Do you have any interest in knowing the towing capabilities of the jeep or the weight of the rig?
__________________

__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Chickeneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Do you have any interest in knowing the towing capabilities of the jeep or the weight of the rig?


The jeep stock has tow rating of 3500. The weight of the jeep stock is 4700 mine as it sits is 5050-5100 I've replaced the stock tow hitch for a full replacement bumper rated as a class III. Tongue weight is in the 400's


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Chickeneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 136
How many use a Jeep Wrangler unlimited as a TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Do you have any interest in knowing the towing capabilities of the jeep or the weight of the rig?


I'm just curious if anyone has towed a TT in the 3000lb range with a Jeep. I have a 99 Dodge 3/4 Cummings which is overkill for my Hummingbird and I prefer to tow with the Jeep which is what I Purchased it for.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 11,228
Hopefully someone has done this and will chime in.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Chickeneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 136
Hope so. If not I will document my experience once my Hummingbird is delivered.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 2,905
I can't give you a direct experience story but will chime in with an opinion. My expectation is you will Max the rear axle with a TT weight of about half of the advertised max tow number, or about 1800# GVW on the TT. The bags will not increase your load capacity but will help level an overloaded TV. I'd expect a tongue weight of appx 230# which is well within the capacity of your new bumper receiver. The new bumper and bags will make your rig appear normal but the weight may stress your brakes and drive train.
Not trying to be the voice of doom, just spouting an opinion.
Please post your towing results after a trip or two. I'd also suggest a visit to a scale to get your current axle weights which will help you estimate how much you can tow. After you take possession, the scale will let you know if you are in/out of axle max weights (GAW/RAWR).
The CAT Scale is your friend.
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Chickeneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 136
How many use a Jeep Wrangler unlimited as a TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I can't give you a direct experience story but will chime in with an opinion. My expectation is you will Max the rear axle with a TT weight of about half of the advertised max tow number, or about 1800# GVW on the TT. The bags will not increase your load capacity but will help level an overloaded TV. I'd expect a tongue weight of appx 230# which is well within the capacity of your new bumper receiver. The new bumper and bags will make your rig appear normal but the weight may stress your brakes and drive train.
Not trying to be the voice of doom, just spouting an opinion.
Please post your towing results after a trip or two. I'd also suggest a visit to a scale to get your current axle weights which will help you estimate how much you can tow. After you take possession, the scale will let you know if you are in/out of axle max weights (GAW/RAWR).
The CAT Scale is your friend.


Thank you I appreciate your opinion. I agree brakes may be an issue. I am in the process of upgrading to larger rotor and better pistons. The rear axel is a Dana 44 which is a half ton axel and rated GAWR 3500lbs so I don't see that being an issue pulling the Hummingbird. And yeah the airbags are to level out the TV because I've weighed it down with about 450lbs on a receiver rack and it put me a little nose high. I've pulled heavier trailers with similar suv's and not had an issue other then taxing the auto transmissions. I have pulled small trailers with my Jeep and buddy of mine has been pulling one of the all hard pop ups with his jeep for a while and he has larger tires then I do and even lower gearing then me.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 22
I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon Ill be towing the same camper with. I haven't done it yet I have the camper at home, but brought it home with my pick up. As soon as I pull it Ill chime back in.
rkboyer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Chickeneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkboyer911 View Post
I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon Ill be towing the same camper with. I haven't done it yet I have the camper at home, but brought it home with my pick up. As soon as I pull it Ill chime back in.


Awesome. I can't wait for mine to get here. Can't wait to see how it pulls. What brake controller are you using?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.