Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2015, 04:59 AM   #1

I had a craving, but got over it!

My existing truck is in my signature is still working perfectly and has 145,000 on it and it tows my 5th wheel perfectly and averages 12.0 mpg when towing, but...

The other day I had a craving for a new truck. I went to GMC's web site and the site would not work with Firefox or IE. Maybe the problem is on my end, but it wouldn't let me build a truck. Then I got to thinking about DEF that I don't need or use now, not to mention a payment (big one or monthly as the case may be) that I don't have now.

I lost the urge quickly. Whew!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:44 AM   #2

thats a good choice, stay away from a DPF i have been thinking about deleting mine

my sprinter work truck takes DEF and its a pain, and about 5 gallons (40 bucks cdn) only lasts 10,000 kms. and not everyone sells it yet
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
Site Team

Great choice, Mine is almost turning 100k and every now and again I get a hankering to go looking, then reality takes over and reins supreme.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #4

Unfortunately, the DEF system is here to stay, so if you're thinking about a new diesel truck, it will have it. Problem is with the EPA. These trucks actually get better fuel economy/burn cleaner without all the pollution crap on it. Kinda like a catch-22. When my warranty is out, first thing I'm doing is straight piping and deleting the DEF/DPF systems.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #5

Trade it???? It is not even broken in yet Ed.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #6

The fact that this stuff freezes at 12F or around there is enough for me to know that I would not buy a truck with a Diesel engine here in Saskatchewan....this along with the higher Fuel freezing makes owning a Diesel engine truck more of a hassle.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #7

I understand the DPF being a pain, but what is everyone's hang up with DEF. I fill my tank twice a year for $22 each time. Compared to what I spend on fuel per year, it's negligible. It's extremely easy to do and cheap in the grand scheme of things. You can pick it up anywhere that sells automotive supplies...ie: Walmart, gas station, Autozone, dealer. Why is it a focal point for people?
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
I understand the DPF being a pain, but what is everyone's hang up with DEF. I fill my tank twice a year for $22 each time. Compared to what I spend on fuel per year, it's negligible. It's extremely easy to do and cheap in the grand scheme of things. You can pick it up anywhere that sells automotive supplies...ie: Walmart, gas station, Autozone, dealer. Why is it a focal point for people?
I think the hang up is; it is just one more thing.

I have a co worker who has had to limp to the dealer twice now, because his DEF system has frozen up when he has parked outside for a few days without driving it. He says it now only parks in the garage in the winter, and does not drive it on out of town trips if he thinks it might freeze up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
My existing truck is in my signature is still working perfectly and has 145,000 on it and it tows my 5th wheel perfectly and averages 12.0 mpg when towing, but...The other day I had a craving for a new truck. I lost the urge quickly. Whew!
I'm with you, Ed. I get a craving every time I drive by my Chevy dealer but right beside the dealer is my bank which now is paying me interest on what use to be my monthly truck payments. My 05 with 131K still looks and drives great...and I haven't even thought about DEF.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
Site Team

Might be cheaper to move down south. It's 74 and sunny here in Charleston, SC
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

I have not had any issues with my DEF system. Cheap, easy to get, and doesn't require it vary often. That being said I'm thinking if I ever have an issue with DEF or DPF I going to remove them. So far it's been a non issue, even in single digit temps.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #12

I get my def from fleet farm. I payed 7.99 for 2.5 gallons. I haven't had a problem with it yet. The temps had been very cold maybe reaching 0*F for a high temp. I am pretty sure the def froze in the tank. Being it will freeze at 12*F. The tank for the def has a heater in it. Also it will not put you into limb mode because it is frozen. The computer accounts for the time to thaw out. Yes I do agree the EPA screwed these trucks up with the dpf and the def. It shouldn't be mandated on private use vehicles. However with that being said I would not trade my diesel in for gasser unless I was going to back to a half ton however I would seriously look at the ecodiesal and depending on durability I think I would pick one of those up. These trucks are not cheap but price them next to an ecoboost and by the time you add up the max tow/payload your more money then a slightly used diesel. Just my 2cents. To the OP your truck should be good for years to come yet 145000 is nothing on a diesel engine. My uncle has 180000miles on his and still no issues. Although he hasn't even changed the brake pads. If the tells you how hard he drives his.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #13

Same here. It was extremely cold here last winter, as it was for the north in general. It was not uncommon for my truck to sit outside in 0 degree and colder weather for days. I've never had a freezing problem, and my truck had never been in a garage. It may have frozen but between the heater and the truck computer, it ran normal. FWIW, I have a Ford. Don't know anything about other DEF systems.

I'm not trying to disprove anybody, just try to get a grasp on why so many people complain about something that has so far been a nonevent for me. Most that seem to complain about DEF, I've noticed, don't own a truck with the system. They just say they absolutely don't want it.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #14

I'm not trying to disprove anybody, just try to get a grasp on why so many people complain about something that has so far been a nonevent for me. Most that seem to complain about DEF, I've noticed, don't own a truck with the system. They just say they absolutely don't want it.[/QUOTE]

If you go on forums for diesel only trucks you will see a lot of people with issues with the DPF/DEF.Chevy,ford,Dodge all have had issues,it's a new design and not a very good one in my opinion.It robs performance of the truck,regens are issues,strong exhaust odors inside the cab of the trucks during regens,not to mention all the sensors they are adding to the exhaust failing to. I personally don't own one,and if I did I would delete it as soon as the warranty was up.My brother has had issues with his and finally deleted and it's like a new truck now. Just adding the EGR's to diesels was causing enough issues,your recirculating oily exhaust through the engine which eventually leads to clogs and or failures of components.Its very expensive when that stuff doesn't work and your out of warranty to.So maybe the people you hear complaining are doing homework on truck sites and not wanting to take the risk of buying a truck and having issues.i'm not trying to take a shot at your reply but the evidence is out there about the system,but on the other hand some have had no issues like yourself.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #15

QUOTE:

If you go on forums for diesel only trucks you will see a lot of people with issues with the DPF/DEF.Chevy,ford,Dodge all have had issues,it's a new design and not a very good one in my opinion.It robs performance of the truck,regens are issues,strong exhaust odors inside the cab of the trucks during regens,not to mention all the sensors they are adding to the exhaust failing to. I personally don't own one,and if I did I would delete it as soon as the warranty was up.My brother has had issues with his and finally deleted and it's like a new truck now. Just adding the EGR's to diesels was causing enough issues,your recirculating oily exhaust through the engine which eventually leads to clogs and or failures of components.Its very expensive when that stuff doesn't work and your out of warranty to.So maybe the people you hear complaining are doing homework on truck sites and not wanting to take the risk of buying a truck and having issues.i'm not trying to take a shot at your reply but the evidence is out there about the system,but on the other hand some have had no issues like yourself.

END QUOTE

Personally, I haven't had any odors in the cabin. As far as robbing performance, my truck is rated at 400 hp and 800 ft lbs of torque. More than enough for anything most of us need. Ford has had issues with an EGT sensor on the 2011-2012 models, but let's not forget, this is a completely new engine. Not a redesign. A from scratch diesel. If that's the big issue this motor has had, then I'd say that is pretty good.

Evidence is always out there for any problem you search. Don't forget people with problems are the ones who are vocal. People that are happy with their product rarely write reviews. I'm sure it has had its issues, but so has every motor and subsystem to date. Personally, I have yet to meet someone in person who has had DEF/DPF issues. The only people complaining are the ones on the net who don't own them. I'm sure they exist, but it's not common as naysayers suggest.

Honestly, I am keeping mine at least through the warranty period. After that, I will probably keep it until the DPF needs replacement and then determine if I am going to get it removed or replaced. Personally, I like not smelling exhaust fumes, and having my new trailer turn black. Point is.....I still can't find a reason why someone could realistically decide to not buy a new truck based on the DEF system. Price, I get it. But I'd say take a poll for a group such as those who are on here without bias. Not if they want it or not, but take a poll as to how many have actually had problems. I bet you find most haven't had an issue. If you google DPF problems, of course you will find them because those are the keywords you are searching for.

Lastly, Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) and Diesel Exhaust Fluid are two different components. I understand the filter being one issue. My problem is with people complaint about the DEF systems. GM produced the LMM for several years with a DPF and no urea injectors (DEF). So I restate my original question....Why do people have such a problem with DEF systems? Dump in cheap fluid and forget about it.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #16

As you mentioned, the web site just won't let you build a truck. You have to talk to someone on the web site. Their program really sucks. All the competition have the build your own feature and it works.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #17

I did get their site to work yesterday clutch. Yeah, I went back and tried it again. Just to duplicate what I have now, no extra features, MSRP $61,500.00.

I was right the first time: I Got Over It!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:09 AM   #18
Site Team

Yeah all I have to do is see the sticker prices now and I lose the urge real fast. Then I go home and wash, wax, change oil in my two 11 yr old trucks.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #19

The reason I just picked up my 2012 13,000 mile dodge is because it's the last year of no DEF. I'll be deleting as well. I'm selling my what will be 78,000 mile 2012 end of February after pulling a car hauler trailer full of furniture to Boone NC for my daughter and SIL.
I'm looking for a small DD and will save the new to me 2012 just for towing.
I'm about to be 68 so I give myself another 15 years or so of being able to RV.
This truck should last me the rest of my useful towing life. I'll prolly go thru a few new trailers though.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #20

Ustabslim - if you're looking for small DD we just got a Chevy Sonic hatch - forget all prior Chevy subcompact clunkers, this one has Korean design, Opel Europe drivetrain and a corvette engineer setup the suspension. Get the 1.4 turbo, 6 speed mt if you don't mind shifting. I got a used LTZ '12 for about $11k still has warranty left. The 1.4 can be "tuned" by trifecta adding like 30 horses and torque. I'm getting 40mpg pretty easily in a lot of heavy traffic and some open road on my commute. This car slays the Fit, etc etc. everything but the Focus SVT which is racy and priced high, while being smooth riding adn quiet inside. I like it better than the unreliable mini a buddy has, engine has a lot more guts (his is not the Cooper S). car and driver tested it against the 500 Alberath and the Mini S and said it didn't give up a whole lot as it handles so well despite being heavier and bit less power.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote