Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #21

The greatest fabricaters of truth are politicians and people stating fuel mileage! When I fill up and reset my mileage and mpg gauge and start down a down hill on the interstate my mpg's go all the way up to reading 28. I know that is not my true mileage because in 10 miles of regular driving it regulates itself to about 15/16 highway, no trailer. Could I say I am getting 28? yes I could, but I am not a politician.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #22

I have a 2014 Tundra w/5.7L. I do love it. In my opinion, the only downfall on this truck is the poor MPG's (compared to other 1/2 tons). In my opinion, this truck had everything else "better" than what the other truck manufacturers where offering at that time. Trade-offs I guess....

I get about 13.5-14.5mpg consistently as my daily driver. Towing goes down to 9-10mpg, which is pretty typical of most 1/2 tons towing.

j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
I get about 13.5-14.5mpg consistently as my daily driver.
This more in line as to what my buddies report for daily driving mileage. No doubt they're great dependable trucks as is the Tacoma, but the daily driving mileage is tough to swallow compared to the big 3 half tons. Nothing changes for 2016. Same mileage estimates for the same old 5.7 litre work force engine. While bullet proof, Toyota trucks always seems a bit behind the big 3 for mileage and technology features.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #24

My buddy I car pool with has a 13 tundra 5.7 rock warrior.Real world he got 1 mpg better than my 13 Silverado 5.3.I drove one week he drove the next type car pool setup.Very nice truck.The only downfall I've seen is tank size I believe his total tank size is 22 Gallon will my Silverado was 26 gallon.I could drive the whole week on one tank of gas,with the gas light sometimes coming on while driving home Friday.He has to fill up Thursday on the way to work.
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #25

I log every gallon of gas and every mile driven, also if towing or not towing. My tundra has a 26 + gallon tank, I have reached a high of 23 mpg, driving in Colorado, Elizabeth to be exact. Much was two lane roads with speed limits of 50 - 55, into light city traffic. Towing over 13,000 miles I average 10.3 mostly in Colorado mostly mountains, some flat. This was my first "foreign" vehicle I have ever owned...and I would buy it all over again. Much better fit and finish than any of my Chevy, Ford or Chrysler products. I do drive "easy". No jack rabbit starts, no hard breaking etc... when towing I tend to drive about 58 as it is the best mpg range. I have a 6 speed transmission also. I LOVE my Tundra, can't say I have ever "loved" a vehicle before.. liked a lot, but not loved. I'm sure all vehicle are good, and what is important to me may not be important to others. Here in Arizona, I am getting 16.5 to 17. 3 over the last 3 tanksfuls in city driving...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #26

After owning 3 Chevrolet Silverado's over a 20 year period I bought a 2015 Tundra and I love it. All my Chevys were rock solid great trucks and I never had any problems with them, but the Tundra just felt great the first time I drove it. After 9 months of ownership I am still happy. Mileage is only part of the cost of owning a vehicle. One out of pocket service charge can completely wipe out fuel mileage savings. Many manufacturer's mileage claims are for their 6 cylinder models. Chevy and Ram are using variable displacement technology to increase their 8 cylinder mileage. Look at the forums and you will find many users are seeking ways to turn that feature off. When running on all 8 cylinders, especially when towing, I doubt you will find much difference in fuel economy.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #27

I also love my Tundra. They have timing chain which does not have to be adjusted or replaced. My previous Tundra a 4.7 litre 2006 had 86000 miles when traded and never had any repair made. Still had original brake pads. It worked hard to pull the 26BH up hills.

My current trailer is about #6800 loaded. Between #900 and 1000 on hitch.
Pulls great, I am sometimes a tad over my payload, but not my rear axle weight rating.

It is the only vehicle we own now that we are retired. It is comfortable; overall mileage is 15-16. Up to 18 mpg on trips without trailer. 9-10 mpg with trailer.
I have a cap on it which has increased mileage by 15% when towing. As wags999 does, I keep records on my mileage.

I hope this truck lasts the rest of my driving life.

Having said all this, I would not want to pull a trailer over #7500 GVWR with it.

Tundra has the quality that may be lacking in some other pickups.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #28

I really want a Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
The greatest fabricaters of truth are politicians and people stating fuel mileage! When I fill up and reset my mileage and mpg gauge and start down a down hill on the interstate my mpg's go all the way up to reading 28. I know that is not my true mileage because in 10 miles of regular driving it regulates itself to about 15/16 highway, no trailer. Could I say I am getting 28? yes I could, but I am not a politician.

Agreed lol. Everybody gets great mileage and tows anything they put behind it. They never know its there. If you love your truck that's all that matters. If you don't own a diesel don't tow with one or you will know what your missing. They really aren't much more either... If you have to have a one size fits all truck (daily driver and tow rig) I understand it's a tough choice...

OP if you want a Tundra get one. My brother has one and my father in law has a sequoia. They are nice vehicles. They bought what they liked and even though they don't have anything to tow, they could...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:24 AM   #29

I stated above about gas mileage and I agree with SouthCo, if you want a Tundra get it! I use mine as a daily driver and to pull my 23rb. I have a 7.3 diesel dually that I pull my horse trailer and hay trailers with and it is great and I could use it all the time camping too, I just prefer driving the Tundra.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:07 AM   #30

The 5.7 is a beast. The guy who diss'd the rear end ratio knows little about the trucks, it has at least two overdrives so while it may have high numerical (low) diff ratio to get the truck moving and provide power, on the top end it has overdrives so it can cruise like a truck with a 3.23 or similar rear end.

I have 4.6 and its a bit down on torque - it revs like crazy and can accelerate really well, but has a harder time holding 65 in wind and hills than I'd like.

Heard the 5.7 passes everything but the fuel station. Smaller tank doesn't help either. Mine's about 18 gallons.

I will say the brakes are really good, the frame and hitch are incredibly stiff and strong, but the leaf springs a bit weak in back to give folks a ride.

I installed TRD rear sway bar (easy) and it doesn't hurt to stabilize loads.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #31

I have a 2010 Tundra towing a 2015 Jayco 26BHS. Several trips to MountRushmore from Omaha and a recent trip to AT&T stadium in Dallas. Pulls like a dream. Concur on the gas mileage, about 9-10 mpg when towing and about 15 mpg daily drive. Holding our for a diesel. Great truck.
ZooSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:54 AM   #32

I have a 2015 Tundra Dbl. Cab with the 5.7. I was towing a 2010 Outback 300BH and this Thursday I am picking up a 2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. I added some Timbrens to the back to help with squat. I'm pretty confident the truck will do fine towing. Its usually myself, wife, and 2 dogs. We are light travelers, except our beer usually weighs alot, but a lighter load coming home from trips. I ordered the 5er with the Reese Revolution because of the 6.5 bed. I'll report back with pictures and how it handled when I get it.
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #33

I really like the Tundra but they hold their value so well that it is hard to find a used one with lower mileage at a decent price.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobray View Post
Well, I just rode in my buddies Tundra with 5.7 and 4.30 gears. It was AWESOME!! We were pulling his tractor. Total trailer weight prob around 6k. It pulled awesome on the highway (flat). The problem is that with my current TT we'll be right at GVWR when fully loaded with family and all. What do you guys think? From everything I've read the tundra sounds like it'll pull it as well as my Yukon XL 8.1 but I don't want to be "illegal" with my GVWR. We also might want to upgrade TT's at some point.

You've made two statements you need to think about:

1."The problem is that with my current TT we'll be right at GVWR when fully loaded with family and all."

2."We also might want to upgrade TT's at some point."

Your above two statements tell me that you may want to go ahead and purchase a 3/4 ton truck....make/model, based on possible "future needs". Save some money in the long run and purchase truck that will work for years down the road.

IF you're going to be at GVWR with TT you have NOW, and you're thinking you'll go bigger later, I'd get a bigger truck and already be prepared, and not have to re-think this again...

Heck, for no more than a 350/3500 SRW cost over the price of a 250/2500, I'd go as far as to look at those also. (but at least a 3/4 ton). Just stating from my own learning experiences of having to up grade TV's more often than I needed to years ago if I had just thought it out, I'd saved a lot of money.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #35

I'm still driving a 2001 4.7 liter purchased new. This and several other factors are why our first TT is a 24 FBS. The old girl has hauled it up to the N. Georgia mountains twice and two weeks ago an 800 mile round trip to the Gulf coast. I want to get a couple more years from her and then I want to get a new one. I really want to stay with Tundra, though I know I won't be purchasing any fifth wheels latter if I do. We think an upgrade to a TT 30' give or take would be about as big as we'd ever go. The 5.7 hopefully can handle that, but I want to be darn sure before we purchase the truck.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #36

OP if you're set on a Tundra, then I'd say get the tundra. I have yet to hear of any major complaints from those using them as their TV. When you say you'll already be at GVWR with your current TT, maybe just on THAT particular Tundra trim? Perhaps there are trims that are more suitable for increased payload? I really don't know much about them. Also- a TT upgrade does not always (but often does) mean bigger/ heavier/ longer. If you search hard enough I'd bet you find a TT that fits all the specs you need to match the Tundra and still be an upgrade.

Just my .02. I went through too many half tons until I finally wised up. Always at or over (sometimes RIDICULOUSLY over- think north of 1500lbs) my GVWR. I finally wised up and decided I would rather work my truck at 60% capacity for 10 years rather than at 150% capacity for 5.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:47 AM   #37

I love my Tundra. However, when funds are available, I will upgrade to a 3/4 ton gas or diesel. My Tundra is rated to tow 10K pounds. I'm currently pulling 8,500#s. The tundra pulls it well. Would like a heavier truck for stability. I get 4mpg towing uphill and 7-9 on flat road and about 14mpg unloaded.
Good luck.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #38

4mpg? Is that a typo?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
4mpg? Is that a typo?
Going up hill. Sorry. Meant to add that. With the weight of the TT, I get around 7-9 at 63mph on flat road. Still half asleep when I posted it. Lol.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #40

With my tundra here are the number I see not towing. 17.5 tops hwy. 14.5 to 15 avg. Haven't towed enough to tell what I will be getting but will let you know. Love my 2014 tundra.
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote