Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #21

I would go with 2500 series. Mine is a daily driver and with the manual transmission I get outstanding gas mileage. Don't get me wrong on this, I love my current rig (should be obvious since I am still driving it and am a bit hesitant on buying a newer TV, even though the DW wants to), but I think my best TV was back when I had my 5er (about 12 years ago). I had an older 1981 Ford F250 with the 300 cubic straight 6 cylinder with that single barrel carburetor, and the borgwarner 4 speed manual transmission. It taught me a lot about taking it easy and patience. On hills (lived in Carson City, NV back then) it always slowed down to around 45 or 50 and I always had to run in third gear. Out on flats, in a strong head wind it would vary on holding 62MPH. However, the ride and tow was always comfortable and never a worry. It never got hot or started to over heat and I got 16 MPG on that truck whether it was empty or whether it was loaded and pulling the 5er. I learned to sit back and enjoy the ride, but having the extra weight of the TV and the extra load ability came in handy and made for a lot less stressful towing experience.
You will notice a difference with the 3/4 ton class of truck. rougher ride empty, but once hooked up, you will feel the security. Its not about how fast you can tow or haul, how fast you can get up to speed. Notice the comfort and how the truck handles over all. The braking, the flow in and out of corners in the mountains. You wont feel like the trailer is pushing you through things as much.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote