Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #1

I'm now legal,are you?

I bought a new Chevy dually in August ,sooooo this upgrade in combined GVWR put me over the 26K max for a "class C" license,Tx follows the Fed guide lines.Happy to report finally got a slot to take the road test after taking written 2 weeks ago.I am now holder of a "class A" so now legal to drive my truck & 5er together.
Written was easy but mostly trick questions.driving test just as easy except the small space(width wise) you had to "parrallel park" ,dually uses a lot more turning space than my 3/4 did even tho both crew cab long bed.
Each state is different but just a reminder for those with bigger RV's,the fine here runs over $500 for wrong class,check and make sure you have correct license to tow rv or drive MH..Hardly ever enforced however cause I havent talked to any local RV'ers that had a clue they possibly were not OK("Officer,the dealer said I didnt need anything special")
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #2

Here in Virginia, I have never heard of any specific requirement as to class of license for towing anything. Only if you haul passengers, as in school bus or van, or have an OTR tractor trailer, do you need a special license, as far as I know.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #3

I have a Class B CDL and have had this for almost 20 years now. While I do not drive heavy trucks any longer I maintain the class. The laws have changed in regards to the Fed mandates and now I must take a physical and pass inorder to maintain this CDL credential upon re-issue and every 2 years. I do also get a discount on my RV insurance as a result which is a plus. Below is a link for every states mandate on weight class and minimum endorsements for combined weights. They could have a field day with writting tickets if they wanted to based on the criteria required in some states. IL, NV and TX could put many people out of compliance. I might look into the upgrade to A but it required a A type setup within the weights to pass the test at the time. Maybe my rig will pass now for the test.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #4

It is different state by state. Other states should honor your state drivers license. I had the endorsement on my CA drivers license. When I moved to Wyoming they removed it. I asked why and they said, "this is WY, not CA, we have our own drivers license laws". Interesting.
Curt class V hitch
Reese trunion WD with dual cam
AC6CV/7 ex-W8RUR since 1954

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

here in Tx I didnt have to do the "CDL" only the change to how much I could tow,class a,with my non-commercial DL..when you first read the Tx handbook it says "private rv's for personnel use are exempt",then on the next page there comes the exceptions to the exemptions.My exception was that the Combined GVWR exceeded 26000 lbs ,truck 13K + 5er 14.5K.But wait,there is an exemption to that exception,if the trailer is less than 10000 lbs ,even tho combined GVWR exceeds 26K,you can use regular license and if you have "farm tags" on the TV all you have to do is get your license stamped with exempt,no tests.Its that fine print that gets you.
I wouldnt have known this but one of our best friends was a DL examiner and now a commercial truck compliance officer for Tx.My point is everyone should double check on thier states rule.Just cause you never heard of it doesnt mean it aint so.i dont want anyone here paying that big fine,it would pay a lot of camp
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #6

So it turns out that I can take my Class A test with my combo. Down side is that I need to find a friend with a class A to get to the test. Auto failure if you drive yourself. Also need to take the combination written test before I can schedule my road test. I know the site for the test and it has no cars to parrallel in between so hopefully I can get the rig in there for a passing grade. How many times are you going to parallel a 5th wheel.

I exceed my current licence class since it's split. Single frame rig I can drive pretty much anything, but can't tow over 10K. I've also been under the impression that with an "rv" you were exempt. Not the case if you are over 26001 TCVWR, and in my case I am. I need to get the A or decrease to a D with the "r" endorsement. I am not going down.

Another winter "mod" project...

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
So it turns out that I can take my Class A test with my combo. Down side is that I need to find a friend with a class A to get to the test. Auto failure if you drive yourself. Also need to take the combination written test before I can schedule my road test. I know the site for the test and it has no cars to parrallel in between so hopefully I can get the rig in there for a passing grade. How many times are you going to parallel a 5th wheel.

I exceed my current licence class since it's split. Single frame rig I can drive pretty much anything, but can't tow over 10K. I've also been under the impression that with an "rv" you were exempt. Not the case if you are over 26001 TCVWR, and in my case I am. I need to get the A or decrease to a D with the "r" endorsement. I am not going down.

Another winter "mod" project...
just buy me a roundtrip airline ticket and I will gladly help get your rig over to the test
Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #8

i might mention that everyone should check out thier states RV exemption.here in Tx our DL handbook states that RV's are exempt but next page has exceptions to the exemptions and that friends is where they get you.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #9

I did not realize that. I have a class A CDL with all the endorsements except hazardous materials. I will just have to dump my black tank before I leave camp. lol Just goes to show a person is never to old to learn something new.
We want to get a few weakend of camping in before winter, see how work goes.
hayman
hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #10

What you need to parallel park is a (no affiliation)

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote