Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

Info for all you all with the Ford 5.4 Triton 3 valve

This is kind of long so bear with me:

Well, when I got to Stone Mt. GA campground last week and got set up and was driving around with just the truck, I noticed what seemed to be a shudder when accelerating around 45-50 mph with the OD on. The next few days the shudder kept getting worse and I started to faintly notice it with the OD off. Well, I hooked up and headed back to NC. Got back on Sun. night and went out Mon. to run some errands and the shudder was BAD at 45-50 with the OD on. I was thinking "great, the transmission is toast" being that I purchased the F150 used and don't know how it was treated by the previous owner. After much research I did narrow it down to the transmission OR a cylinder misfire. So I went out and got it to shudder and FLOORED IT. The truck launched like a scaled dog but I could tell it wasn't right, like it was missing. This FINALLY caused the check engine light to flash. After stopping at the end of the road the truck smoothed out and the check engine light went off. I got my code reader out and it threw a cylinder one misfire code. I changed the coil for that plug and so far it has fixed the problem. I need to change the plugs, but that is a entirely different story........
2004 Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4 Triton
10000lb Equal-i-zer WDH with 4pt sway control
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Having done the plugs previously on the 99 I had I say have fun. It's not hard but it is time consuming. The two rear plugs will obviously give the most grief. Extensions and universal joints will be your friend.

I sprayed each hole with some penetrating stuff and let it sit for a while. Then I blew out each hole. I cracked each plug about a 1/4 turn and did that process over. Applied a little anti-seize when I put the new plugs in.

I had one hole I couldn't get a socket on the plug. I was actually starting to think that plug was broken or something. After some more blown in air a nice little rock popped out onto the intake.
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

Does the 99 have the 3 valve engine with that special made plug like the 04?
2004 Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4 Triton
10000lb Equal-i-zer WDH with 4pt sway control
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

I had a failed ignition coil a number of years ago, on an engine with a coil for each cylinder. I replaced all the coils, because where one coil failed, another is soon to follow.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #5

Good call David. Not only that but now one coil works fantastic while the other seven may be firing at reduced power. I"ve had good luck with mine so far and replaced all plugs and plug boot assemblies a while back. I'm still not sure about that whole 100K spark plug thing. I feel that high mileage on the plugs and boots creates more work for the coils and kills them faster. I'm hoping for many more miles out of mine.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #6

159300 miles on the '03 Odyssey and changed the plugs last weekend. They were in pristine condition and the gap was still within specs. I encountered a little resistance on the way out but I took it real slow and they were extracted without damaging the threads in the head. New ones went in with nickel based anti-seize and we should be good for another 100k. Remember to de-rate your torque values by 20% when using lubricant on the threads.

I am planning on a 2 year interval to remove the plugs on the Ecoboost and coat them with anti-seize as a preventive maintenance regimen.