Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

Installed dual cam today

Armed with the latest version of instructions I installed the dual cam anti sway kit. I took my time and measured twice and drilled the holes. The measurements I used were dependent on the length of the spring bars. Oddly enough it was between what the new instructions called for and what the original instructions had. I have yet to road test it but I was pleased by the way it turned out.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Site Team

OK, lets see some pics!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Armed with the latest version of instructions I installed the dual cam anti sway kit. I took my time and measured twice and drilled the holes. The measurements I used were dependent on the length of the spring bars. Oddly enough it was between what the new instructions called for and what the original instructions had. I have yet to road test it but I was pleased by the way it turned out.
Murphie, I don't know if I have the heart to tell you I just got an updated set of installation instructions a few days ago. :hihi:

Seriously though... Cequent posted some dated 2/12 although I didn't notice anything being different.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #4

Thanks for letting me know. Just saw the latest revision. Bob posted it. Another week another set of dimensions. Actually the install went fine and thanks again for sending it to me.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #5

Let me add to my previous comment that Rustic Eagle's post on the old and new styles impact which installation instructions to use too. I sure am glad I saw that post since I have the "gold" version and I'm getting ready to install the cams... maybe today, if I can find the time.

I would have hit the same issue you did with the measurement being off from the instructions.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #6

Hi Mike, I have the new silver version cams. It's important to hook up your spring bars and see where the cams line up. Just make sure you give yourself room on either side so the yoke can be adjusted.
I did find one thing very interesting with the latest instructions. It states that if you have the round bars like I have, and a bottom fixed coupler like we have, they say you may need to adjust the ball mount towards the front of the tv as far forward as possible....having trouble with that one. Normally you would want about a 5 degree tilt going the other way. They don't say why suggest this either. Am I missing something here?
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

I just put mine on this weekend and got it setup but have yet too take it for a trip, I left my head just the way it was, just check your chain links and no less than 5 links is the key apparently.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
snip........It states that if you have the round bars like I have, and a bottom fixed coupler like we have, they say you may need to adjust the ball mount towards the front of the tv as far forward as possible....having trouble with that one. Normally you would want about a 5 degree tilt going the other way. They don't say why suggest this either. Am I missing something here?
Richard,

Your not missing anything, but you raise a valid question.

The reason for the Reese starting the set-up of the ball mount tilt toward the TV is partially do to the round bar ball mount WDH only has about half the tilt range compared to a trunnion style spring bar ball mount WDH (like Mike's). Also, with the TT ball coupler mounted at the bottom of the TT frame it changes the height relationship between the round spring bar and TT frame (compared to a top mounted TT ball coupler). When it's all said a done, you may find that tilting the ball mount a little toward the TT may be required to address the correct TV weight transfer.

In Mike's case he has a "top mounted" TT ball coupler with a 6" tall TT frame, utilizing the trunnion style spring bar WDH, and has the 1st version "HP" (gold). In some cases these conditions can make dialing in the HP Dual Cam a little challenging.., but there are work-arounds.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek700 View Post
snip....... just check your chain links and no less than 5 links is the key apparently.
Derek,

On a standard WDH without the Dual Cam incorporated, your correct. The five chain link under tension minimum allows for maximum chain/spring bar movement during TV turns, thus greatly reducing the possibility of the tail end of the spring bar coming into contact with the TT frame.

When you incorporate the HP Dual Cam into a standard WDH the chain remains stationary during TV turns (only the spring bar moves), so in some cases depending on a number of factors one could have less than five links under tension and not effect the operation of the system.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #10

Well I took the trailer for a test drive today. My first trip had the seventh chain link on the snap up bracket. I knew there wasn't enough weight transferred but wanted to see how it felt at this setting. After half a block I checked the cams and one was out by half an inch. Fixed this and continued. Very windy but could notice right away how well the trailer tracked with the truck, but knew the front needed more weight. I then dialed in the 6th link.
This had the right weight transfer but also had to readjust the yoke length. This time I took the trailer on the freeway. Still very windy. It was a thing of beauty. The trailer tracked great. I could feel strong cross winds buffeting both truck and trailer. Never once did I feel a disconnect between the vehicles like you would have without the kit. There was no push or pull either. I mildly swerved the truck, the trailer just obeyed and followed the truck without lag. When I went to unhook the spring bars the yoke just swung away under pressure. When on the 7th link the yokes had to be forced to uncouple from the spring bars. This was the best upgrade for my trailer so far. We are taking the trailer to a 1000 trails park tomorrow for the long weekend. Very pleased with this install.
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #11

Sounds like you have it adjusted well for your setup and I am happy to hear your positive comments on how it tracks.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Richard,

Great job dialing in the HP Dual Cam, and good move on checking the spring bar "centering" over the cam surface after making adjustments. Glad to hear that you can "feel" the difference towing with the HP Dual Cam, most users state the same thing once one gets the product dialed in.

It might just be terminology, but I have a couple of questions/thoughts:

* I assume that your chain link adjustment from 7 to 6 links are the links "under tension".

* Are your round spring bars close to being parallel with your TT frame at 6 links under tension?

* You stated; "but knew the front needed more weight"..., did your TV's front fender height drop a little more (closer to it's unhitched height) when you went from the 7 to 6 chain links under tension?

* I wonder what was "binding" that wouldn't allow the cam arm yoke to swing away freely from the spring bar when set at 7 links under tension...., could it have been the spring bar "wedged" between the side-flanges on the cam?

* Is your ball mount still tilted all the way forward (toward TV) as you mentioned in a prior post?

Forgive me in asking so many questions, but I just want to make sure I don't misinterpret anything, and I'm trying to get a mental picture of what your end result looks like.

Thanks in advance ,

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS