Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Is my TV enough to handle TT?

Sorry to bring this up but my sister just bought a TT and is having an issue with her towing capacity being maxed out. **** dealer sold her a TT that is too heavy for her TV. Now I am wondering if I am ok? She towed her TT home yesterday and had a horrible experience on the highway. Said she felt like her front wheels had no control over the TT and felt like she was drifting and swaying. She is towing a 2013 PT Avenger 26bh with her 2015 Durango V6. I also feel the same feeling when I am towing and I have a 2001 Tundra v8 towing a Jayfeather 22Y. Can someone please confirm I have plenty of towing ability with my TV. Yikes now she has me thinking. I am so confused with all the different added weights like unloaded, hitch weight, etc. It's all so overwhelming and I am not experienced enough to go to a weight station.
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #2

Here's another good place to start, by looking up the general towing capacity of your TV.

Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine

There's a lot more to it than just the towing capacity, and there are excellent articles here covering the whole gamut of issues surrounding towing and towing capacity. Good luck!

Roger

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #3

Is my TV enough to handle TT?

I think she's probably fine on weights, although she should check a scale ASAP, but it sounds like the WDH is set up completely wrong.

She does have a WDH, right?

Drift, sway, and no steering feel are all symptoms of being far to light on the front axle. The Durango is a great tow vehicle set up correctly, but the springs are pretty soft and it will get you into trouble fast if you don't shift that weight back to the front.
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #4

Go here: RV Itch - Resources

Download the tow capacity worksheet. Fill it out, be honest about the weights and if you don't understand something ask.

You'll know soon enough how close to capacity (or over) you are.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

Looking at the specs for your trailer and truck you are ok. Your truck is rated at 7100#, that trailer empty is 5800#, so you just have to watch what you put in it, it adds up fast. Your sisters trailer is listed at 5088# empty, and her Durango is rated to pull only 6200#, so she also has some room. You both need a weight distribution hitch to get some weight back on the front end. And as others said check the door sticker to see what your payload is and deduct the tongue weight which yours is about 600# from the total and that will tell you what can safely go into the truck. Online shows payload on your truck between 1400-1800#, so that would give you 800-1200# weight in the truck to not be overloaded.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

Many people on the forum have Durangos and I have heard nothing but praise about them. When we bought our 23B I called Dodge and had a good conversation about the towing capacity and learned alot. I would recommend calling them with the Vin number. Then I would pull the numbers for the tt. Remember they pull best with 12 to 15 percent tongue weight.

Key is to have a good wdh, ideally with an integrated sway control. Then having it set up correctly. You can check the setup by taking a few.measurements with and without the tt connected. If the wdh is a chain system reducing a link one at a time will transfer more weight to the front wheels. If the wdh is like my equalizer then it as a bit more work to make adjustments.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #7

I agree with all that's been said. Weight distribution and sway control setup is vital to a good towing experience. when the weight is not solid on your front wheels your steering becomes very unstable and feels like you have no control. you need to also make sure you wdh hitch is adequate for the tongue weight of your trailer
Old 04-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #8

I think you both need to spend the money on better hitch systems. You both are near the limit of what your vehicles can handle. I would recommend at the minimum you get something with built-in sway control like the the Reese dual-cam, Equal-i-zer with 4 point sway control or Blue Ox Sway-Pro. Then you both need to get real friendly with the operator and setup manual! Then you need to load up and visit a CAT scale.

If you want absolutely NO sway then look at a Hensley or ProPride 3P like I have.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #9

I have no idea what any of this means.....ha ha

My TT Specs
2010 Jay Feather | Jayco, Inc.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

lukenick1

Lets break down the information on your sticker. GVWR stands for gross vehicle weight rating, yours is 6010 LBS. This means that the weight of your vehicle when on the scales can not exceed this number. This weight includes the empty weight of your truck plus passengers, fuel, and anything else that is in the truck and the tongue weight of your trailer. GAWR stands for gross axle weight rating. In your case your front axle is 3130 LBS and your rear axle rating is 3960 LBS. These are also known as steer axle and drive axle. Again when on the scale you can not exceed these numbers. There should be another sticker on the door frame that will tell you the payload of your truck. The payload weight is the weight of the passengers and anything in the truck and your trailer tongue weight.

There is a lot of information on hitching and towing in this forum. I have use this information myself to get properly set up. The CAT scales are your friend don't be afraid to use them.

I have a 2010 GMC 1500 and a 2005 Jay Feather 25z. My 25z is similar in weight and length to your 22y. My GMC has a gross vehicle weight rating of 6800 LBS. I carry 3 adults in the cab and have a cab high shell on the back and a few things in the back and I am right at my limits with my truck weight.

I can't stress enough the importance of a good WDH and sway control and having it set up properly.
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
lukenick1

Lets break down the information on your sticker. GVWR stands for gross vehicle weight rating, yours is 6010 LBS. This means that the weight of your vehicle when on the scales can not exceed this number. This weight includes the empty weight of your truck plus passengers, fuel, and anything else that is in the truck and the tongue weight of your trailer. GAWR stands for gross axle weight rating. In your case your front axle is 3130 LBS and your rear axle rating is 3960 LBS. These are also known as steer axle and drive axle. Again when on the scale you can not exceed these numbers. There should be another sticker on the door frame that will tell you the payload of your truck. The payload weight is the weight of the passengers and anything in the truck and your trailer tongue weight.

There is a lot of information on hitching and towing in this forum. I have use this information myself to get properly set up. The CAT scales are your friend don't be afraid to use them.

I have a 2010 GMC 1500 and a 2005 Jay Feather 25z. My 25z is similar in weight and length to your 22y. My GMC has a gross vehicle weight rating of 6800 LBS. I carry 3 adults in the cab and have a cab high shell on the back and a few things in the back and I am right at my limits with my truck weight.

I can't stress enough the importance of a good WDH and sway control and having it set up properly.
I just wish I knew how to set it up properly. I am still trying to figure this all out. I would have no idea how to use CAT scale. I am horrible at math. ha ha I trusted my dealer set me up properly. Which WDH do you use?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #12

I have a equalizer round bar set up like yours ( I looked at your pictures in your another post). My coupler is mounted to the top of the tongue and not the bottom like yours. I have not had any problems with my bars dragging on the ground. My bars are rated at 1000 LBS and I am using chain link number six and they are straight with the frame. I don't have any experience with other WDHs but in your case it may be best to change from your round bar WDH to another style of WDH if it is with in your budget. The round bar WDH looks to be to low to the ground in your case.
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
snip...... I would have no idea how to use CAT scale......snip
CAT Scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Take a friend along with you to the CAT scale that is familiar with towing a TT and knows how to properly adjust a WDH......, don't attempt the CAT scale visit by yourself.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #14

Lukenick,

I believe I have previously suggested reading the links in my signature in one of your posts, but if not, there is a wealth of info on how a wdh works, how to properly set the wdh up, and as posted above, a CAT Scale how to.

It has been mentioned many times on these forums, that the PAYLOAD of a tv is usually the limiting factor (150/1500 and midsize). There is a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb of about '06 and newer vehicles. It states, "All passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". What is this amount for both the trucks? While the "brochure" dry weights don't mean a lot, what are they for both trailers, including the tongue/ hitch weight?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #15

Here's my rig and tows fine. I use the Pro Pride 3P hitch, which I love, and no trailer sway, ever. I towed over 4K miles last year.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
CAT Scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Take a friend along with you to the CAT scale that is familiar with towing a TT and knows how to properly adjust a WDH......, don't attempt the CAT scale visit by yourself.

Bob
Wouldn't that be great if I actually had a friend to help me. I wish!
Old 04-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgchak View Post
Here's my rig and tows fine. I use the Pro Pride 3P hitch, which I love, and no trailer sway, ever. I towed over 4K miles last year.
Are you really towing that huge camper with a Bronco?! Wow now I feel better!
Old 04-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
Wouldn't that be great if I actually had a friend to help me. I wish!
You may have better luck finding a local landscape supply that has scales, most of the larger places do. I took mine to a local one and they were great helping me to position on the scale to get proper weights. And if your not sure about your WDH setup try calling a business that installs hitches, they may be able to instruct you on proper setup for a small fee, most RV dealers are so busy they won't have time to show you.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Lukenick1: don't you have any confident Trailer owners around you? In my neighborhood every other neighbor has one. There should be someone who can give you some help.
RVing is a learning process and you have to tell yourself you can do it. Don't be scared to make a mistake now and then. Is hubby leaving all the camping issues up to you?
Camping is supposed to be fun "not doomsday". Good luck!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Lukenick1: don't you have any confident Trailer owners around you? In my neighborhood every other neighbor has one. There should be someone who can give you some help.
RVing is a learning process and you have to tell yourself you can do it. Don't be scared to make a mistake now and then. Is hubby leaving all the camping issues up to you?
Camping is supposed to be fun "not doomsday". Good luck!
I camp alone, hubby works too much to join us. He has no idea how to even hitch up. This is all on me.