Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #1

Jay Feather x17 with a Highlander

MUCH THANKS IN ADVANCE!

We have a 2010 Toyota Highlander and are about to purchase an x17A to replace our 2008 Fleetwood Sun Valley PU. I love the PU and especially love sleeping in the tent end but my DH doesn't love the setup required.

The PU is a big one and we have no issues towing it now (but we have read about the full height and wind resistance of the TT) and we don't have sway bars. We do have electric brakes or whatever was needed when the hitch was installed. Neither of us have had or driven a full height TT. We plan to mostly "dry camp" and rarely if ever will be towing water in the tank--in fact, we've never used the hot water heater in our PU! (We'd be having the AC and Microwave removed, BTW.)

>>>> Do you think we'll be okay pulling with the highlander, and do we need sway bars? Anything else you think we should know?

2008 Fleetwood Folding Trlrs Americana Series Sun Valley-4291 Specs and Standard Equipment | NADAguides

Length (ft-in / m): 25' 0'' / 7.6
Interior Height (in / mm): 80 / 2032
Base Weight (lbs / kg): 2185 / 991.1
Carrying Capacity (lbs / kg): 1315 / 596.5
Hitch Weight (lbs / kg): 175 / 79.4
Number Of Axles: 1
PoulsboMom2Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #2

I towed an X17C with a 4.0L V6 2WD Nissan Frontier for a couple of years with no problems. Enough power even though the hills would drag me down a little. I used an E2 from Fastway as the 500#+/- TW was right at the rating of the factory hitch on the truck. If the Highlander is FWD I'd absolutely use a WD hitch! Don't want the front wheels getting squirrelly on you!
Old 07-04-2017, 06:17 AM   #3

Get a weight distributing hitch with built-in sway control and once setup you will probably be fine. I don't know the Highlander's capacities. With the X17s' outside storage all being in the front you will definitely want the WDH.

Side note...don't remove the A/C or microwave unless you are special ordering from factory. Those will help with resale value later on.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoulsboMom2Two View Post
>>>> Do you think we'll be okay pulling with the highlander, and do we need sway bars? Anything else you think we should know?
Does you Highlander have factory tow package?

I used to have an Xterra 4.0 w/ factory tow with 5000lbs tow capacity. I pulled an R-Pod 178 that was very close in specs as your Jayco x17A (2780 dry, 3500 loaded) I found that my Xterra didn't have enough power to comfortably pull the R-Pod in the mountains (even on the flats I was concerned). We could not us the AC going up a steep grade (it over heated)
I think the X17A is way to much TT for your Highlander.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #5

I tow a 2600lbs (dry) trailer with a rav4 with the same engine with no problems, with almost 300hp, the weak link is not the engine. the transmission temps are what will be the problem

if you have the factory tow prep (bigger rad, fans and oil cooler) you would still need a bigger transmission cooler and a weight transfert hitch with sway bar.

if you don't have the factor tow prep, you are limited to 3500lbs which is still over the weight of the trailer, but probably under the trailer + cargo weight so that might be close
Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #6

Thanks All! We got the WDH when we picked it up. I hated to watch the MPG go down and so dramatically over our popup, but it's a tradeoff for the ease of hybrid setup, eh?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

Wait until you trade the Highlander for a Tundra and then buy a bigger camper! LOL You will be down in the 8-10 mpg range like the rest of us!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #8

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Baby steps

Actually, I'm having trouble accepting we're selling our popup as I love that thing; when it opens with the two KING beds, it's huge and so airy, and I sleep better in it than anywhere. (I would go to an even smaller one if my DH weren't 6'4".) But with the popper-uppers leaving for college, I agreed to the hybrid.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:06 AM   #9

You'll love having a hybrid. The best of a pop-up combined with the best of a travel trailer. Our X20E is our second hybrid. In total we've been in hybrids for 14 years and don't miss having a pop-up in the slightest.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #10

I don't know if it helps, but I'm a Mom Towing a lightweight Sport165, reach close to 3500# wt limit when loaded, with Lexus GX470,
I have a WD hitch & sway bars...
I tend to forget the TT is even back there, pulls so easily!!
I don't know anything about hybrids, so not sure this helps you, but noted they are about same size.
Happy camping

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #11

THANKS!!!! We got the WD hitch w/ sway bars and I'm the one who is called into action when it's time for the accurate backing up into a spot. I'm just concerned with having no rearview mirror, and I wish our TT had more/bigger windows like the PU, but of course, once the ends are opened, there's a lot of airflow...and there's no popping up and little setting up