Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #21

I have towed with a modern F150. It was a 2013 and towing a smaller trailer than the 28BHBE. I am now towing with an F250.

Yes I could have added airbags and LT tires like you to increase comfort but then I would still be watching my weight every time I pack. And probably overloading my truck. Especially as my family grows.

It has also been mentioned that the mythical HD Payload option is out there for the F150 and if you want to custom order one that is great. Otherwise you will be hard pressed to find one on a lot somewhere. And yes an F150 with the HD payload option is a viable option as it will likely have over 2000lbs of payload. 2680lbs in fact if you get a crew cab 4x4 and absolutely no other options.

The peace of mind and comfort of towing with room to spare is worth the upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I personally enjoy driving our F250 more than the F150 anyway. Fuel mileage aside....

Its up to the OP to decide if they want to tow at the limit or well below it.

Cheers
Old 10-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #22

There are a LOT of differences between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 trucks besides payload. Many tend to focus on payload similarity but look under each and it quickly becomes apparent these two trucks are VERY different. Size of brakes, frame rails, axle/rear differential, transmission, cooling components, etc. They share a brand and some cosmetic parts... That's about it.

In ideal conditions a very properly equipped F-150 may tow like F-250 but wait until the conditions aren't ideal and the advantages of "more truck" become very apparent. I prefer to buy for the "what if situations" and not for the ideal ones.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hi Forum!

Well we think that we have narrowed down the exact unit that we would like to purchase as our first Travel Trailer for our family of four. We really like the Jay Flight 28BHBE and would like to order it with the following options (15,000 BTU AC, Elite Package, Thermal Package, Kitchen Skylight with Shade, Hide-A-Bed, Cargo Accessory Receiver & Roof Ladder.). I'm adding these details as I know that this will indeed add to some additional weight.

Anyway, we have NOT purchased our Tow Vehicle yet. We want to be sure about both items before we purchase either one.

This is where I'm hoping you can give me advice from personal experience....

We would like to purchase a Ford F150. It will become my husband's primary driving vehicle and he would really prefer to not get too crazy with his truck (i.e. he doesn't want to move up into the F250s, diesel, etc.). So...he would basically like to get "as little of truck as possible" that will absolutely safety pull our trailer without problem. Not too little of truck and not too much.

So....what would you recommend exactly in the line of options with the Ford Trucks. And then, adding a hitch that will help distribute the weight?

And, yes, I am definitely not knowledgable in terms of trucks. So I'm reading as much as possible so that I can learn I do understand that I need to take a picture of the sticker inside of the truck door to get an exact list of the maximums, but there is also the complete chart on Ford's website: 2017 Ford F-150 Full-Size Pickup Truck | View All Specifications | Ford.com. For the most part all of this looks like gibberish, but I'm an active learner

Thanks in advance,

Erica
My humble opinion (see my sig for what I'm towing with) - If you are buying a new tow vehicle, you should really look at the F250. I have the highest rated towing capable F150 that was available in 2012 and I'd like more. I also tow in the Rocky Mountains a LOT. With the 250 you can tow with your camper maxed out with gear, water, etc + carry stuff in your truck, people, firewood, etc.. If I do that in my truck, I'm over the limits on my rear axle. If more than just my wife and daughter are coming along, they have to drive themselves as I won't allow my truck to go over the limits.

I can tow mine without issue when I pay close attention to weight, but I would feel a lot better about it if I had more torque, better brakes, and payload capacity. Again, just my opinion.. but if I was buying a new truck for that trailer, it wouldn't be the 150 I currently tow with. It would definitely be a 250.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
You will find on this website that anytime somebody requests opinions on pulling a travel trailer with an F150 you are bombarded with useless opinions from the Ram fanboys that your family's safety requires a minimum 250/2500 on the side of the truck. This a bunch of BS and just because they chant over and over that 2+2=5 does not make it so. You'll want to pay attention to the posts of those that have actually towed a 28BHBE with a properly equipped modern F150. A 10 year old 250/2500 has lower manufacturer specs than the 2017 F150 with HD Payload does not increase safety over a 2017 F150 with tow/haul mode, electronic anti-sway control, anti-lock brakes, airbags, anti-slip etc. etc. You'll have to sort through the uninformed opinions of those who "towed with a half-ton once" or "knew somebody that towed with a half-ton once" and white-knuckled it or failed the clean short test. An HD Payload F150 with +/- 2800 lbs of payload is not the same "half-ton" as an F150 with 1200 lbs of payload. Depending on how an F150 is equipped, the payload can vary from about 1100 lbs to 3000lbs yet people who do not know any better consider them all the same truck.

Payload will be your limiting factor and relying upon the assurances of the Ford salesman will result in buying an underequipped truck which will provide an unpleasant tow experience with an overloaded tow vehicle.

You definitely will want your F150 equipped with the Max Tow Package (the tow package is different) which will give you approximately 20% increase in tow capacity. If you pack light, you may be able to remain within the specs of the Max Tow Package. To give yourself some additional payload capacity you may wish to look for a truck with the Heavy Duty Payload package which has extra leaf springs and thicker frame to further increase the payload abilities. HDP F150's were not available in 2015, but they are available in the 2016 and 2017 models and may not be on the lot at your local dealer, but you can order them or your dealer can find one on the lot of another dealer.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ers-37807.html

Higher trim packages (i.e. Lariat, Platinum etc.) will also cut into your available payload. If you do your research, I doubt will find anybody who has actually pulled this size of trailer with a truck equipped with the HD Payload package having any concerns about pulling this size of trailer with a quality WD hitch. I use a Propride 3P (research the Propride and Hensley Arrow hitches for more info) and would not tow without it.

Our 28BHBE loaded for camping has a tongue weight of 1050 lbs with a gross weight of 7800 lbs (the Eagle model is a few hundred lbs heavier) with 10 to 15 gallons of fresh water for bathroom breaks while travelling and we fill with fresh water when we get to campground. I do not put heavy items in the box of my truck, bikes go on the bike tray on back of trailer and I do not have a truck cap.The payload on my truck is 1687 lbs and our family of 3 is easily able to remain within the specs of our truck.

I have no problems maintaining the speed limits with my 5.4 (6spd 3.73 rear end) through the Eastern mountains of Pa, NH, VT, NY, Me, Va, NC etc. although I do occasionally get held up behind semis that are unable to maintain the speed limit and accelerating to pass while climbing a steep grade can be challenging. The V-8 5.0/5.4's will provide better engine braking than the 3.5 Ecoboost but the Eco will has far superior low end torque and will pull as hard or harder than any gas 250/2500/350/3500 and if I was doing a lot of towing in the mountains I would definitely opt of the Eco. (Look up the Pike's Peak Challenge to see a towing comparison of the Eco vs. competitor V-8's). The gas engine 250/2500s do have comparable torque and hp specs, but the downside is at least a 30% reduction in fuel mileage and you'll be adding at least 30 to 40% to your annual fuel bill. If you can afford a 250/2500 diesel, having twice the torque is never a bad thing while towing.

OP, IMO, I would ignore the first paragraph of this post, but the rest is reasonable. People should be able to freely share their experiences without the fear of ridicule or insult.

The great majority of people who have actually towed the 28BHBE will tell you (as many here already have) that save for a super specifically equipped F-150, or making efforts (sometimes heroic) to pack light and limit weights, or making alterations to their tow vehicle, this trailer is in 3/4 ton truck territory.

If you can find a properly equipped F-150 that suits your considerable payload, towing capacity, budgetary and usage needs, you should definitely consider it.

But don't put all your eggs in that basket. While you may be able to find a few of the specific F-150s configured to your needs (or perhaps just order one and pay the premium), you'll be able to find dozens, perhaps hundreds of 3/4 ton class trucks (sitting on lots all over the place) that will suit your needs with plenty of capacity to spare, and as many or as few options as you could possibly want, and with whatever badge you like on the tailgate.

And remember this: The great majority of these posts and these users are simply sharing their own experiences for your consideration. The ultimate decision is yours and yours alone.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 10-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I have towed with a modern F150. It was a 2013 and towing a smaller trailer than the 28BHBE. I am now towing with an F250.

Yes I could have added airbags and LT tires like you to increase comfort but then I would still be watching my weight every time I pack. And probably overloading my truck. Especially as my family grows.

It has also been mentioned that the mythical HD Payload option is out there for the F150 and if you want to custom order one that is great. Otherwise you will be hard pressed to find one on a lot somewhere. And yes an F150 with the HD payload option is a viable option as it will likely have over 2000lbs of payload. 2680lbs in fact if you get a crew cab 4x4 and absolutely no other options.

The peace of mind and comfort of towing with room to spare is worth the upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I personally enjoy driving our F250 more than the F150 anyway. Fuel mileage aside....

Its up to the OP to decide if they want to tow at the limit or well below it.

Cheers
Your information appears a little outdated as your F150's with 1400 lb payloads clearly did not have the HD Payload or even the max tow packages. To expect that your F150 with 1400 lb payload would tow the same as a 2017 with 2500lbs plus of payload is a little naïve, IMHO. You may have purchased an F150 off the lot but it wasn't the right tool for the job regardless of how good a deal you got.

I do not understand why people keep calling the HD Payload package "mythical" or a "unicorn" simply because they weren't produced in 2015 due to the delays caused by the re-tooling for the aluminum bodies. My buddy that I regularly camp with purchased his 2014 HDPP off the lot and got a very good deal on it as the 2015's came out. The 2016 and 2017 are available with HDPP, although you may not be able to get it in the colour you want or in the high-end trims, but it depends on your priorities. When I purchased mine, the dealer did not have a single truck on the lot with the Max Tow package with 3.73 rear end on the lot and they had to find it on another lot and ship it and I did not get my first choice in colour, but it did not cost me any more and I only had to wait a week.

250/2500's are not for everybody and are not necessary to tow a 28BHBE safely. One of my purchase considerations was that after the tow season is over, my truck is a daily driver and a F250 will not fit in many of the downtown parking garages which have 6'4" clearance. F150's squeeze in but they are tight as well. F250 not an option. If the OP has an unloaded commute, adding 30% to the annual fuel bill to have a gas powered F250, I guess that would be his/her decision. The HDPP 2016 linked previously had all the options I would need with 2400 lbs of payload available would leave 50% or 1200 lbs for loading of the vehicle. I don't disagree that a 250/2500 may be necessary for TT's longer and heavier than the 28BHBE or larger 5th wheels, but then you really should have the weight and capacity of the diesel and DRW if you are really concerned about the safety of your family. IMHO the extra 10% GCWR (19,500 vs 17,100) of a gas 2017 F250 compared with a HDPP F150 with an extra 10% torque at low RPM and 30% better gas mileage would make it an easy decision when considering the actual facts.

Trailer brakes stop trailers and truck brakes stop trucks. F250 brakes are slightly larger because the F250 is a little heavier. Unloaded an F150 stops much shorter than a F250. If somebody has some actual proof (your neighbour's sister's cousin does not count) that a modern (last 5 years) gas F250 towing an 8,000 lb trailer stops significantly or even marginally shorter than an F150 please post the link.

As far as stability goes, trailer sway simply does not occur with a properly adjusted quality WD hitch such as a Propride or Hensley Arrow. If somebody has evidence of a modern F150 having sway issues with one of these hitches and proper tongue weight, please post the link as I have not seen any nor have I ever experienced even the slightest bit of sway on my setup.

Now if somebody wants to trade me straight across for a new Superduty PSD with 925 ft/lbs of torque, I will gladly find a new place to park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
OP, IMO, I would ignore the first paragraph of this post, but the rest is reasonable. People should be able to freely share their experiences without the fear of ridicule or insult.

And remember this: The great majority of these posts and these users are simply sharing their own experiences for your consideration. The ultimate decision is yours and yours alone.

I fully respect the decision of others to pay a premium to drive a 250/2500 even if it just makes them feel better and recognize that certain applications may warrant the additional rear axle rating of the 250/2500, but it is not necessary to safely pull a 28BHBE. The suggestion that it is unsafe to pull this trailer with a properly equipped F150 is insulting to all of us who are safely towing within Ford's manufacturer ratings. As I have no experience towing with a Chev or Ram 1500, I would not offer my opinion on whether these trucks could safely pull a particular camper because they have "1" on the side rather than a "2". It is the equivalent of saying that everybody who tows with a SRW 250/2500 is foolish and risking the safety of their family because they were unwilling to spend a little more on DRW. Dual Rear Wheels would be more stable and far safer than SRW, especially for braking and in the event of a rear tire blowout. The safety margin or what if factor between SRW and DRW would be far greater than F150 vs. F250.

I also agree that the final decision is with the one putting down the cash but I would not want anybody induced into purchasing one truck over another because they were falsely told by "everybody" or the majority that a particular TV would be unsafe. It is not the number of opinions, but rather the quality of them.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #26

Quote:
snip...

I also agree that the final decision is with the one putting down the cash but I would not want anybody induced into purchasing one truck over another because they were falsely told by "everybody" or the majority that a particular TV would be unsafe. It is not the number of opinions, but rather the quality of them.
I agree with you, but you're guilty of the exact same thing you're calling others out on. You're making the blanket statement that the F-150 with max tow and max payload is fine for the OP, and that he need not look further.

Instead of calling everyone who suggests a 3/4 ton a "fan boy", why not simply offer up your experience? There's nothing wrong with towing with whatever truck someone wants so long as it is safe. Some people are sticklers for staying strictly within limits, some are not. Some people (like yourself) have many other valid reasons why they CAN'T move into a 3/4 ton or larger. And that's fine. Their opinions and experiences are no less valid than your own or mine.

As far as safety concerns, a fully loaded rig right on the margin may be perfectly safe and comfortable for some drivers, and dangerously unsafe for others. When I first started out, I would've been white-knuckled no matter what I was driving. With experience, I became more comfortable, and with wider capacity margins, I expanded that comfort. I have no problem telling people that I feel safer and more comfortable towing my trailer with a 3/4 ton truck than I would or did with a 1/2 ton class truck. That's MY experience, YMMV as they say.

But don't automatically discount someone's life experience or opinion simply because they offered their suggestion. It's far more constructive to simply offer up your own experience and suggestions and let the decisions lie with those who have the responsibility for their consequences.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #27

Quote:
I agree with you, but you're guilty of the exact same thing you're calling others out on. You're making the blanket statement that the F-150 with max tow and max payload is fine for the OP, and that he need not look further.

Instead of calling everyone who suggests a 3/4 ton a "fan boy", why not simply offer up your experience? There's nothing wrong with towing with whatever truck someone wants so long as it is safe. Some people are sticklers for staying strictly within limits, some are not. Some people (like yourself) have many other valid reasons why they CAN'T move into a 3/4 ton or larger. And that's fine. Their opinions and experiences are no less valid than your own or mine.

As far as safety concerns, a fully loaded rig right on the margin may be perfectly safe and comfortable for some drivers, and dangerously unsafe for others. When I first started out, I would've been white-knuckled no matter what I was driving. With experience, I became more comfortable, and with wider capacity margins, I expanded that comfort. I have no problem telling people that I feel safer and more comfortable towing my trailer with a 3/4 ton truck than I would or did with a 1/2 ton class truck. That's MY experience, YMMV as they say.

But don't automatically discount someone's life experience or opinion simply because they offered their suggestion. It's far more constructive to simply offer up your own experience and suggestions and let the decisions lie with those who have the responsibility for their consequences.
Agreed 1000%. I deleted my pending reply because you articulated it much better than I was going to..
Old 10-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

You need to read beyond the title of the original post. The OP specifically asked about a 2017 F150 and what options would be necessary to pull a 28BHBE. As usually happens on this forum, when somebody asks about an F150 the Ram fan boys try to scare posters about endangering families by towing with an F150. Do a forum search, this happens every time somebody asks about towing within rated specs of an F150 but not any other TV. I have yet to see an F150 owner Ram bashing on this forum and I don't understand why Ram owners feel the necessity. Take your F150 bashing over to the Ram forums, you will get a lot more support.

Your experience towing with Chev 1500 with 1400 lbs of payload is completely irrelevant as to whether an F150 with HDPP and 85% more payload capacity can safely tow a 28BHBE. While it is theoretically possible to be on the "margins" of 2600 lbs of payload, however the same loading would be on the "margins" of a gas 250/2500 and require DRW.

I think the issue has been sufficiently discussed and I understand that you are proud of your gas Ram 2500, but it may not be the right vehicle for everybody. Feel free to PM me if you feel the need continue bashing F150's.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #29

Quote:
the Ram fan boys try to scare posters about endangering families by towing with an F150. Do a forum search, this happens every time somebody asks about towing within rated specs of an F150 but not any other TV.
We were comparing half tons to 3/4 ton, regardless of brand. You say the Ford bashing happens EVERY time, but you're the only one that mentions it in this thread. That is odd. Most of the posts I've seen use 150 / 1500 and 250 /2500 synonymously.

I tow with the 150, have owned a diesel 6.0 250, and still believe the 250 is overall, a better option for a camper in the 30 foot, 10,000 lb range. Let's compare the ideal 250 with the ideal 150 for towing a 10,000 lb trailer. The 250 wins every time. Sorry. We can all justify the choices we've made... I do. One is clearly designed for towing heavier items than the other. It's really a no brainer when you are close to maxing out your truck. I've never owned a RAM and don't intend on ever owning one. This thread isn't about brands, it's about capabilities within classes of trucks. I guess I missed all the 'Ford' bashing you speak of. It certainly isn't in this thread.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #30

The original poster Erica just asked a simple question.

We would like to purchase a Ford F150. It will become my husband's primary driving vehicle and he would really prefer to not get too crazy with his truck (i.e. he doesn't want to move up into the F250s, diesel, etc.). So...he would basically like to get "as little of truck as possible" that will absolutely safety pull our trailer without problem. Not too little of truck and not too much.

As she stated they DONT want a F250 as an every day driver, she just wants to know if its possible to tow this trailer with a F150 equipped properly. Over the past 24 hours I have laughed at the answers coming in from right and left field, she is probably now more confused. The simple answer to her question is YES, will her family be safe, YES. This is why I do my own research and would never trust a forum to give me the correct answer.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #31
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
We were comparing half tons to 3/4 ton, regardless of brand. You say the Ford bashing happens EVERY time, but you're the only one that mentions it in this thread. That is odd.

I tow with the 150, have owned a diesel 6.0 250, and still believe the 250 is overall, a better option for a camper in the 30 foot, 10,000 lb range. Let's compare the ideal 250 with the ideal 150 for towing a 10,000 lb trailer. The 250 wins every time. Sorry. We can all justify the choices we've made... I do. One is clearly designed for towing heavier items than the other. It's really a no brainer when you are close to maxing out your truck. I've never owned a RAM and don't intend on ever owning one. This thread isn't about brands, it's about capabilities within classes of trucks. I guess I missed all the 'Ford' bashing you speak of. It certainly isn't in this thread.
The OP asked the question about equipping or options for an F150, go back and read it, it is still there. You have some time on your hands, do a forum search and you will find that every time somebody asks a question about F150's the same Ram fan boys warning about endangering families, neighbours rolling their F150's and cancellation/denial of insurance and having to pay lawsuits out of your own pocket. The same posters do not mention safety when questions are posed about towing within the posted limits of other brands of TV's.

I have also towed tens of thousands of miles with a 2007.5 Duramax but I would not presume to counsel somebody on what they can or cannot safely tow with a 2017 Chevy Duramax and a trailer that I have never towed with it.

The OP asked about options on a F150 to tow the 28BHBE not how much better a the ideal diesel 250 will pull a trailer. Based on your experience towing with the F150 HDPP package you could explain how it is unsafe whereas it would be safe with a 250/2500 ?
Old 10-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #32

I get that the OP doesn't WANT a 3/4 ton but I feel that as a person who has gone down that path before it would be wrong to just simply say YES, go buy the F-150 because the paper says it'll work and you don't want a F-250. I'd prefer to state my experience and knowledge on the topic is and then let them decide. Maybe they'll get a F-150 anyway... Maybe it'll make them reconsider the trailer choice??

Can I skin a buffalo with a butter knife?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #33

My only comment (because I will be labeled a "Ram Fan Boy," even tho I've owned 2 Fords before my current TV and a Chevy before that), is that "some" people have a tone or seem to talk down to folks when attempting to provide constructive criticism. That's why, in the past, I've stayed out of these conversations and will continue too. Folks just need to re-read things and think how it is being conveyed before you hit send/post.

The OP will get what suits their family best! If a mistake is made, hopefully they can overcome it.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #34
bap

Funny how many of the Ford F-150 Max Tow people rave how great their truck is, then they post all the upgrades they do to try and make it equivalent to a F-250 in their signature.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
The original poster Erica just asked a simple question.

As she stated they DONT want a F250 as an every day driver, she just wants to know if its possible to tow this trailer with a F150 equipped properly. Over the past 24 hours I have laughed at the answers coming in from right and left field, she is probably now more confused. The simple answer to her question is YES, will her family be safe, YES. This is why I do my own research and would never trust a forum to give me the correct answer.
Hello Forum Members!

I have to say while there is a lot of information going in different directions, this has been extremely helpful to me for learning purposes. We are obviously researching this actively on our own (looking at exact numbers, etc.), but hearing about your experiences and opinion helps tremendously.

Sundancer330 is correct, we are currently researching all of the available options and add ons to Ford's F150 to see if it meets the towing requirements of the Jay Flight 28DSBH. I really, really think that this trailer meets every single one of our requirements, but at the same time, we cannot foresee ourselves purchasing an F250 as my husband's primary vehicle. We live in Southern California where parking space is at a minimum--not to mention that he commutes 30 minutes each way 3 days a week. At this time in our lives, we do not wish to purchase "more than we need" in terms of a tow vehicle. Especially if the best equipped F150 meets the tow requirements at the recommended 20% under max values (possibly with the HD Package).

I can foresee that IF the fully equipped F150 is too "risky" or considered maxed out with the 28DSBH weights, then we unfortunately would need to find a smaller or lighter weight trailer. But like I said, this is a strong first choice for us as we haven't found an equivalent trailer that meets all of our wishes and is "lighter".

Thanks again for all of the really helpful advice. Keep it coming!!

Cheers,

Erica
Old 10-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hello Forum Members!

I have to say while there is a lot of information going in different directions, this has been extremely helpful to me for learning purposes. We are obviously researching this actively on our own (looking at exact numbers, etc.), but hearing about your experiences and opinion helps tremendously.

Sundancer330 is correct, we are currently researching all of the available options and add ons to Ford's F150 to see if it meets the towing requirements of the Jay Flight 28DSBH. I really, really think that this trailer meets every single one of our requirements, but at the same time, we cannot foresee ourselves purchasing an F250 as my husband's primary vehicle. We live in Southern California where parking space is at a minimum--not to mention that he commutes 30 minutes each way 3 days a week. At this time in our lives, we do not wish to purchase "more than we need" in terms of a tow vehicle. Especially if the best equipped F150 meets the tow requirements at the recommended 20% under max values (possibly with the HD Package).

I can foresee that IF the fully equipped F150 is too "risky" or considered maxed out with the 28DSBH weights, then we unfortunately would need to find a smaller or lighter weight trailer. But like I said, this is a strong first choice for us as we haven't found an equivalent trailer that meets all of our wishes and is "lighter".

Thanks again for all of the really helpful advice. Keep it coming!!

Cheers,

Erica
I'm a little confused. The title of the thread and your first post was regarding a Jay Flight 28BHBE. Your last post is about a Jay Flight 28DSBH which doesn't exist. There is a White Hawk 28DSBH that is similar to the 28BHBE but the construction between a White Hawk and Jay Flight are completely different.

I'm not going to spend my time digging into number and calculations but the White Hawk line is a light weight line and is better suited for 1/2 ton trucks.

If that is what you are considering then you are likely in a better place with your vehicle choice.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #37

The forum also has a duty to call into question artificial constraints that hinder the experience. Yes a 150 can do it..loaded and equiped properly.. that was answered a while back. The thread however has evolved. It happens... I trust any alleged confusion is also artificial at this point.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
I'm a little confused. The title of the thread and your first post was regarding a Jay Flight 28BHBE. Your last post is about a Jay Flight 28DSBH which doesn't exist. There is a White Hawk 28DSBH that is similar to the 28BHBE but the construction between a White Hawk and Jay Flight are completely different.

I'm not going to spend my time digging into number and calculations but the White Hawk line is a light weight line and is better suited for 1/2 ton trucks.

If that is what you are considering then you are likely in a better place with your vehicle choice.

Hello--

No, my original post is correct. It is the Jay Flight 28BHBE! I'm sorry that I just mis-quoted it. I was just in that page on my computer hemming and hawing over whether I would need to consider this line instead of the Jay Flight. I apologize again for confusing the issue

-Erica
Old 10-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #39

Erica,

As has been hashed out in more of a harsher way than is normal here on JOF, the F150 IF properly equipped with the max tow AND heavy duty payload package (or whatever the exact name is) is one of the few 150/1500 trucks capable of possibly towing the 28 BHBE. Understand that the majority of times, it isn't a case of the truck not having enough power to tow the weight, but the payload.

As many have posted, the trucks payload can be one of the limiting factors of a 150/1500 when towing a heavier travel trailer (tt). As some have posted, all occupants (people and animals), cargo (coolers, bikes, firewood, etc) in the truck bed, any accessories added to the truck (truck topper/cap, step bars, push bar, etc), the wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the tt tw (travel trailer to the (or hitch) weight) all count toward the trucks payload rating.

The hardest part about a post like yours, is everyone packs their trailer different. While all the basics are pretty much the same, when it comes to exactly what is packed, and where, is the hard part. Reason being is obviously the more loaded in the tt, the heavier it will be. And depending on where those items are stored, it can and will make the tw heavier. Which, for a safe, stable tow (regardless of what wdh you buy!) you generally need 12-15% of the total loaded trailer weight to be on the tongue. What this means is if you have a 9000lb loaded tt, if you placed a scale under the coupler (where you hook the tt up to the truck), the tw would be between 1080lbs-1350lbs (12-15% of 9000lbs) as measured by the scale. This does vary from one trailer to the next, but is the general target range. The other thing to keep in mind is the "brochure" dry weights should only be used very lightly!!! And from what I understand, the weight of the propane tanks and a battery on the tongue is not included in the "brochure" dry tongue/hitch weight. That can add ~160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery to the tw, before loading anything else in the trailer. And it seems the average person seems to add ~1000lbs to their tt, some more, some a little less.... For a comparison, our 32 BHDS has a yellow sticker dry weight (as it rolled off the assembly line WITH options) of just under 8000lbs (think the brochure was listed as 7600lbs), weighs ~9200lbs loaded (last time I weighed was 8860lbs) with a tw of 1400lbs the time I weighed it. The "brochure" tw is 920lbs.

A wdh with integrated sway control is highly suggested! The Reese Dual Cam (trunnion bar system), the Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. The Reese hitch head (same for both) does offer a little more fine tuning vs the E4, but the Reese SC and the E4 (very similar to each other) are a little easier in setting up. Any of these models is an excellent choice and you won't go wrong with regardless. The Hensley Arrow and the Pro Pride are the best available, but they do come at a premium price, and a slight weight issue. As I understand, they weigh ~200lbs which could cause one to be over the truck's receiver hitch rating if your tt tw is ~1000lbs or more. The receiver hitch is only rated for 1220lbs of tw (w/ a wdh) per the '16 F150 towing guide. I would guess the '17 model will have the same receiver hitch rating. Will being over break or fatigue the hitch, hard to say. Probably not for a while, but there is a rating for a reason.

I know I have been down the same road that others who have posted in this thread have been down. Our last tt had "brochure" dry weights of ~5500lbs with a dry tw of 550lbs I think it was. Loaded, it weighed ~7200lbs with a tw of ~920lbs. Towing with our '10 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab short bed, we were over the trucks gvwr of 7000lbs by about 200lbs. Family weight at the time was about 450-475lbs (growing twin boys!), had added a cab high fiberglass topper (cap) on the truck bed, spray in bed liner, step bars, mud flaps, & WeatherTech mats (think I got everything!). With only ~200lbs in the bed (tool box and 4 bikes), is what are set up was that put us over the gvwr. Yes, the truck only had 1550lbs of payload per the yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb (all vehicles have this, so look for it and confirm the payload before buying!!!). The sticker states "All occupants and cargo not to exceed: XXXXlbs". Just trying to show that weight adds up very quickly!!! And explain why some have been passionate about suggesting a 250/2500. I had this exact conversation with my neighbor who ended up buying the 28 BHBE and tows with a Chevy 1500 Silverado. Their plan is to buy a 2500 when they find the right one at the right price. But for now they pack carefully, and if needed, take two vehicles. I believe a lot of the suggestions for the 250/2500 over the 150 is because it is a little harder to find a 150 with the max tow and heavy duty payload package unless you factory order. And from what some have posted (other threads and/or forums) that a 250 is about the same price (when equipped with the same options) as a 150 with the max tow and payload package (though I have never priced either one!!!).

Hopefully this has helped some!!!

Good luck shopping, and keep us posted what you guys decide!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #40

Quote:
The OP asked the question about equipping or options for an F150, go back and read it, it is still there. You have some time on your hands, do a forum search and you will find that every time somebody asks a question about F150's the same Ram fan boys warning about endangering families, neighbours rolling their F150's and cancellation/denial of insurance and having to pay lawsuits out of your own pocket. The same posters do not mention safety when questions are posed about towing within the posted limits of other brands of TV's.

...snip
Dude, Steve, c'mon man. The only "fan boy" on this thread is you. How many of these threads are you going to shut down by demeaning people for simply sharing their experiences and opinions? We get it, you hate Ram, you love Ford, whatever, enough already.

Sure, OP said she was set on a blue oval half ton, and that question has been answered. Yes, it is possible to equip an F-150 to tow a 28BHBE. YOU ARE RIGHT!! Okay?

But the rest of us are not wrong when we say a 3/4 ton should not be discarded out of hand as a potential option. OP is not the only person reading this thread grappling with the same decision.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Closed Thread