Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

JaycoTowing Guide

I noticed at the new Jayco web site they have provided a link (under "Shopping Tools") to the 2011 Trailer Life Towing Guide. I don't recall Jayco providing the link before.

Within this same Towing Guide there is a section titled "Hitching Basics", and I noticed that Trailer Life Publications has yet to update their same prior mistake(s) when referencing the adjustment of a WDH. They state:

"Evaluating the proper adjustment of a weight-distributing hitch is relatively simple: The tow vehicle should maintain the same attitude before hitching that it does after hitching, measured at reference points at the front and rear bumpers or wheel wells. If it is level
before hitching, it should be level afterward, although slightly lower due to the addition of hitch weight. A level attitude means the adequate load has been placed on the spring bars to distribute portions of the hitch weight
equally to the front and rear axles. If the rear of the tow vehicle sags after hitching, then the spring-bar loading isn’t adequate."

Well, for one thing the old standard of actually getting "equal squat" ("same attitude") out of most newer TV's suspensions when using a WDH is long gone. Most TV manufactures recommend that the front suspension be returned to it's unhitched height, not lower.

The article's reference to "distribute portions of the hitch weight equally to the front and rear axles" is falling short of being accurate as well.., weight isn't distributed to the rear axle, it's removed. They also don't mention anything about weight being distributed to the TT axles.

Also, most TV suspensions today will incur a little rear sag (1"-2") and attempting to remove the sag via the WDH may overload the front suspension creating handling and steering issues.

Oh well, guess I can get a little picky when it comes to a publication like Trailer Life continually re-printing important hitching information that contradicts what TV and WDH manufactures recommend.

I feel better now

Bob

ps: Jayco Towing Guide link: http://www.jayco.com/pdfs/DigitalTLTowGuide2011.pdf

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Not much gets by the Eagle! I also was poking around on the new site for awhile. Some of the links were not working for me.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #3

Good catch Bob,

I'm surprised that Jayco would just assume that TL had it right. One would think that they would rather reference the hitch makers.

Bob, when I was reading the post where you helped the guy who provided his printout of weights, I was surprised to find that the tv gained I think was a hundred pounds after it was hitched up compared to it on the scale alone.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
snip.......when I was reading the post where you helped the guy who provided his printout of weights, I was surprised to find that the tv gained I think was a hundred pounds after it was hitched up compared to it on the scale alone.
Richard,

I'm sure you are referring to the "Sway! With A Dual cam!!" thread started by member "jeeperx2" in the 'Jayco Travel Trailer' section of the forums.

....., and I 'believe' you are referencing the following TV weight comparisons:

In jeeperx2's case his TV gross weight was 6,320lbs with TV weighed alone, TV gross weight was 7,400lbs with TV/TT weighed together with the WD spring bars dis-engaged, and a TV gross weight of 7,180lbs with TV/TT weighed together with the WD spring bars engaged. So with this particular TV/TT combination, the TV is carrying an additional 860lbs traveling down the highway.

Your correct, once one places weight on the TV's hitch ball it's a new ball game with the effect it has on the TV's front and rear axle weights. The end result is that this extra weight placed on the TV has to be subtracted from the cargo carrying capacity of the TV, this is where 1/2 ton TV's have to be careful.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 AM   #5

Bob, that's the one I was referencing. The dynamics of trailer weights is more complex than it first appears.

I am going to jump up to a three quarter ton truck in the next six months. I would like to get a Duramax but can't afford new. I spent some time in a 2006 Duramax this summer that i loved. If I could find one with low milage or a newer vortec I would be happy. Again thanks for the info.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote