Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

jeep liberty towing mpg

Were taking our first long trip next week and was wondering what you guys are getting. Im going on a 1300 trip. I have a 2012 liberty and tow a 1006 with a/c a wife 2 kids and a dog. Im hoping for 15
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #2

VW Touareg TDI towing a good 5500 lbs. = 23 mpg., 33 mpg with out.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

I've gotten as high as 14 (flat land near the gulf coast) and as low as 9 (florida pan handle is hillier than you would think, spent a lot of time in 4th gear). Without towing I get about 16, maybe 18 if I baby it.

It's going to vary based on your driving style, maximum speed, acceleration rate, willingness to be passed by snails, etc, etc. I experimented with 87 vs 93 octane and didn't see much difference, but didn't go the same route.. at most I would expect 1 mpg difference or so.

They say the liberty normally gets 22 on the highway... if that's true you could expect high teens. If it's an automatic (don't know much about towing with automatics..) you might turn off over drive, or put it in tow mode, especially if you're in a hilly area.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chapter View Post
I've gotten as high as 14 (flat land near the gulf coast) and as low as 9 (florida pan handle is hillier than you would think, spent a lot of time in 4th gear). Without towing I get about 16, maybe 18 if I baby it.

It's going to vary based on your driving style, maximum speed, acceleration rate, willingness to be passed by snails, etc, etc. I experimented with 87 vs 93 octane and didn't see much difference, but didn't go the same route.. at most I would expect 1 mpg difference or so.

They say the liberty normally gets 22 on the highway... if that's true you could expect high teens. If it's an automatic (don't know much about towing with automatics..) you might turn off over drive, or put it in tow mode, especially if you're in a hilly area.
Thanks, hoping for 15.. its an automatic 2012. We always stayed within 50 miles. This is our first long trip with it
Old 06-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #5

I'm on my way home to Chicago from a week trip to Chattanooga, TN pulling our 1206 with our Trailblazer. There are a lot of hills and one 4 mile long 5% grade over Monteagle Mountain. I tow in 3rd gear at about 65 mpg with the cruise on when I can and don't gun it on the hills to maintain speed. The trailer weights about 3000 lbs. I have kept track of my mileage at every fuel stop. The truck has consistently gotten about 13.5 mpg towing on the interstate and the same solo in the city. It should get 16 mpg on the highway solo.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #6

Thanks scott I see you gave me an answer when I almost bought the 1206 a year ago. We ended up going with the 1006 which we are very happy with and seamed more suitable with the liberty. The jeep tows it perfect no brakes on trailer and no white knuckle instances. We tow it through some good hills here in PA but this will be our farthest yet 650 miles each way. Thanks again for the input