Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Lightest WDH's?

I've got another thread running about trying to massage my weight and balance numbers a bit. In sum, between the Equalizer WDH the dealer recommends, an extra battery, and a tongue mounted bike rack (and bikes) I'm getting pretty close to the max rating of the trucks class 4 receiver. Which means I'm really limiting how much stuff I can load into the trailer (assuming 15% of it ends up on the tongue). So, looking at what I can lighten, will have to move around, or just not have.

The Equalizer lists out to be 117 lbs. Estimating that I will need 1K bars on it.
Yes, it is supposed to be a great hitch and easy to use. But...anyone have recommendations as to other brands (with sway included) that are significantly lighter?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

Andersen No-Sway. Under 60 lbs. I use it and really like it.

Weight Distribution Kits
https://goo.gl/photos/sQzc7u2x4QYHzxir7
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
Site Team

Flapper, looking at your avatar, I'm seeing a 5er! If that salesman is trying to sell you a WDH, he's GOT to go back to school! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Flapper, looking at your avatar, I'm seeing a 5er! If that salesman is trying to sell you a WDH, he's GOT to go back to school! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
That one is now headed to the scrap heap (roof leak!). Changing it up to a Whitehawk. Will update the pic in a couple of months when I actually pick up the TT.

I had some early discussions with the salesman about tongue weight concerns, but gave up when he assured me "there will be no concerns, because a WDH doesn't add to the tongue weight, it reduces it to zero!" I just shook my head and concentrated on getting the price down.....

Love the dealership overall, but salesmen are salesmen.....
Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeum View Post
Andersen No-Sway. Under 60 lbs. I use it and really like it.

Weight Distribution Kits
Anderson is lightest by far!
Sway control is based on tongue weight, no adjustments!

BUT if the little difference is really important maybe you need to buy a bigger tow vehicle or go with a lighter trailer.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Anderson is lightest by far!
Sway control is based on tongue weight, no adjustments!

BUT if the little difference is really important maybe you need to buy a bigger tow vehicle or go with a lighter trailer.
It's not really that little:

Here's the math for the tongue weights:
Trailer per spec = 685 lbs (TT spec weight is 6040)
15% of the additional "as built" weight on the door sticker = 35
Full propane = 50 lbs
Battery and box = 55 lbs
Lippert bike rack = 25 lbs
Bikes = 60 lbs
Additional for going to 2 6 v = +72 lbs
Equal-i-zer = 117 lbs

Net 1099

Receiver max is 1150, so that leaves 51 lbs, or 340 (15%) to 420 (12%) I can load into the trailer. Not much, especially if I need a little water/gray/black in the tanks. Saving 57 lbs on the hitch gets me about another 400 lbs I can load into the trailer. Sure, none of the above is directly on the ball, but none of it is very far back, so the effective weight reduction for that is only about 20 lbs (I did the math). More of a safety fudge factor than something useable.

And mathematically, it looks like the loaded trailer will produce a tongue weight of 16.5%, which is a little too heavy in the front. Saving the 57 lbs gets me back to 15%.

Trailer GVW is 7,500, truck can pull 11,100, and truck will have a left over payload of more than 1,000 after the above tongue weights - so all is good there.

With too much on the tongue, I'm giving up a lot of payload in the TT.

There are other options, of course - give up the dual batteries, look at putting a receiver and rack on the back, etc., etc.

Oh, and I did look at putting a class 5 on - not really practical, since the factory receiver is part of the Ford bumper system.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #7

Another option, look into new receivers. I see e-trailer has a class 4 to take you to 1500lbs tongue weight with weight distribution. I am sure others may be available too, may be worth a trip to the local hitch shop.

I was surprised how quickly I came to that max receiver weight when I towed with my old F150, I couldn't tow wet, I was over.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:00 AM   #8

Something to consider with the Andersen is that, at least when I was researching a couple of years ago, it seemed to have difficulty returning enough weight back to the front axle for heavier tongue weights - generally over 750-800lbs and more. Most of the favorable reports I found were with tongue weights less that 750lb, though I do recall seeing one or two from folks with 1000lbs+ tongue weights that seemed fine with it.

I like the hitch and it works well for me - maybe somebody with a higher tongue weight - preferably over 750-800lbs could comment on their experience with it. I know that some changes have been made since I bought mine to help address the front axle loading concerns.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote