Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #31
Just trying to give both sides of the story and I was surprised nobody did the math yet. All I can give an opinion on is the numbers.

I have never towed a 28BHBE with a well equiped F150 so I can't give my experience on that but based on my experience towing other smaller, lighter trailers I know that it will be close to the limits based on the numbers. How close the OP wants to get to the limits is up to them of course.

I had a 2013 F150 (only 1450lbs payload) with the 5.0l and 3.55 gears and long box pulling a 28BHS (7000lbs gvwr) and it was not a confidence inspiring tow. Did it work? Absolutely. Would it work in an emergency situation???? Thankfully I never had to find out but it was very close to the limits. I had 35lbs of unused payload.

I have no idea what the OP's position is or what their experience is. All I was pointing out is that it will be close to the limits based on the numbers and now is the time be aware of that. Not after they get a new trailer.

2014 Jayco Swift 281BHS
2015 F250 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, Short box, 6.2 gas
Solar powered! The trailer not the truck!
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #32
Weight wise, At your payload of 1969 and 625 worth of family/payload, I think you will be OK as long as you don't overload things and probably don't tow wet. My hunch is your going to be under 1000 lbs tongue weight fairly well loaded. Do remember, toppers, spray in liners, anything added after the manufacture of the vehicle will count as well.

If you want to firm this up, you could take your vehicle loaded to a scale, weigh it. Your available tongue weight should be pretty much the GVWR of the vehicle minus your gross vehicle weight. Don't forget a few hundred pounds for your weight distribution hitch. Also, the tongue weights on the specs generally don't include a battery or gas bottles.

WORST CASE, as long as you don't exceed the GVWR of the trailer (2017 model is GVWR is 9250) at 15% tongue weight (which is probably the max you want anyway) your only at 1388lbs. I don't think you will ever get that heavy if you meter your loading a little and keep stuff out of the bed. You can get fairly inexpensive tongue scales off Amazon and I would think the dealer would let you set the trailer on the tongue. They probably wont let you load it up and take it to a scale unfortunately :-)

If you havent, use others cat scale results, this one is a good example http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...hbe-37715.html

Kudos to you for looking into this ahead of time, I wish I had looked into it more.

One more suggestion on the F150 if your going to be near payload, look at rear suspension enhancements. I used the Roadmaster Active suspension, many use the timbrens and/or shock upgrades. The R.A.S made a world of difference when we used to tow with our F150.

2016 Jayflight 29BHDS
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab - 6.4 Hemi
2013 Ford F150 Supercrew EcoBoost, MaxTow (Loved and Sold)

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #33
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
One thing to keep in mind, the payload of your F150 is calculated based on there being a 150lb driver and a full tank of gas.
I have to disagree with the payload based on a 150lb driver being in the vehicle, if going by the yellow payload sticker in the drivers door jamb. This sticker is required for all vehicles sold in the U.S., and states "The combined weight of OCCUPANTS and cargo should never exceed: XXX(Xlbs". Occupants means any person occupying the vehicle, which would mean the the weight of the driver as well as any additional passengers are counted toward the total payload.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:15 AM   #34
I too was faced with your dilemma. I have a 13 F150 5.0 with 3:55 gears. I wanted the 28 BHBE but I thought it was just too close to my towing limits. So I started looking at the White Hawk's. Settled on the 28 DSBH and I am very pleased so far. Truck pulls it great. Camper has been great as well. Only one warranty issue for the bathtub floor being soft in spots. That was repaired and I've had no other issues after spending nearly 30 nights in it so far this year. I don't regret not getting the 28 BHBE. For me and my family, the 28 DSBH is just about perfect.

2016 Whitehawk 28 DSBH
2013 F150 5.0
Truly blessed and HIGHLY favored
Royal blood runs through my veins
Campbellizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #35
I will give you all an update as things progress and let you know and again ALL advice is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to respond!!!!!
swik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #36
We have the 28BHBE and consistently have tongue weights of between 750-800#. It's a great layout, we have no regrets. You probably want to avoid the Elite package, some people have reported much higher tongue weights with it and full freshwater tanks.

Originally Posted by swik23 View Post
We sold our 23B Jayco hybrid camper and are looking for a bunkhouse model. We have a 2016 Ford F-150 v8 with the tow package. I would love some input on what we can safely tow. We live in SW Michigan and te surrounding area we camp at is fairly flat. We are a family of 5 plus a 25 pound dog and usually carry 5 bikes in the truck bed. We usually camp an hour or less from home and usually one 3 hour trip to Pentwater once a year. I am trying to attach some pics so hopefully that works. I have seen the instructions and understand going to the scale is the way to do it right but I am the wife and a little boggled by all the numbers lol, but I do want to make sure we don't end up needing a new truck.

Some models we are looking at are

Jay flight 27BHS 6,065 unloaded and 620 hitch weight l
Jay Flight SLX 287BHSW 6,090 pounds and 645 hitch weight
Looked today at a 2015 used White Hawk 6,020 and 655 hitch weight
Love the 28BHBE but from reading on here that may be too much to tow.

Passenger weights of all 5 plus dog is about 625

motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote