Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Walking around the campground yesterday I glanced at a lot of TV tires and found that most brands were represented (not surprised).

Later in the day I thought that a campground would be a great place to take a "tire survey", being representative of conditions associated to towing. I'm here for a couple of more days, I just might grab a pad of paper and ask a few campers how they like their TV tires. Could be interesting.

I'll skip the guy next to me, I already got into his case about someone tossing his dog's fresh crap under my TT. The paper towel that is was wrapped in had the same floral pattern as the roll on his picnic table...., and yes, I tossed it back into his campsite during our little "chat".

Sorry, back on topic.............., I'll report back if I get around to my little tire survey.

Bob
Ahhh, the old dog doo under the trailer trick, hey? No, I would not ask that "gentleman" about his tires or anything else. Any answers he gave would have to have an asterisk by them *Remember, this one is a dog doo doo thrower!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #22

Quote:
So I'm now "testing" a new set of Mastercraft Courser HTR LT245/75R16 10E tires, rated for 60K miles. I found that Mastercraft tires are manufactured by Cooper, and are one of the few remaining tires manufactured in the US.

The Mastercraft tire has a highway tread, where my BFG's were a little more aggressive in their tread design. The Mastercraft has a little more tread on the road surface than my BFG's did, so this should be a plus. I only have about 60 miles on the new tires, but they seem to be just a 'tad' quieter than my past BFG's.
Bob
Thanks for the info. It's always nice to learn about other options out there. We have quite a few miles left on our oem tires. I'll have to check back with you when our time comes to research tires and see how the Mastercraft is doing for ya

Quote:
Walking around the campground yesterday I glanced at a lot of TV tires and found that most brands were represented (not surprised).

Later in the day I thought that a campground would be a great place to take a "tire survey", being representative of conditions associated to towing.

Look forward to hearing the results!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Several weeks ago, in a CG in Port Huron Mich, I did some looking at what tires people had on their trucks. Did not write anything down or ask anyone their opinions, but found the most common was Goodyear Wrangler which are stock from the factory. Next in line was Michelin LTX, followed by Firestone Transforce. There were a few other one-offs which I can't remember. I will be curious what you find with your more detailed survey.
Michelin LTX are real good tires and pricey. I have several camping friends who swear by them.
rolling condo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Lakeport State Park?

Bob
Well actually, it was -- gasp -- the KOA there.
I have heard people say the Lakeport State Park is worth going to. We will have to check that out next time. For us, that area is a short drive from home, making a nice weekend get away. The trick is to book far enough ahead. Short notice often means the State Parks are full.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Lee,

My Mom has Alzheimer's, and being her Health Advocate I had to be present to address a med reaction issue..., but she seems to be doing ok now.

Thanks for your comment of support.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #26

Don's dad also deals with Alzheimers and we are at the stage where we have to get a caregiver hired before our next trip in September as another family member is no longer able to help out while we are out of town.

Glad your mom is ok!

We look forward to hearing your results from the next cg!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

The early departure from the campground gave me the first opportunity to tow with the Mastercraft tires. The trip back was less than 50 miles, but I did have to deal with some cross winds...., didn't notice anything unusual with the tires under these conditions.

Not a good test for the new tires, but I think once I get about 10,000 miles towing with them under a wide variety of weather and road conditions the jury should be back with a preliminary verdict

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote