Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
ADK

Measured and weigh her on our first date

Took our first trip and did a 1 nighter this past weekend. State Campground about 30 miles away. I was hoping to stop by the weigh station on the way out, but didn’t want to risk not getting a site. Ended up being a good decision, since not many were left. All went well, except for an issue with the hot water heater (had orange flames coming up the exhaust – fixed itself, but I’m now thinking bugs or air in fuel line).

Anyway, I did a few wheel well measurements to see how it loads the truck (see 1st image). Note there was a gradual left-right roll in the camp site. Measured from tire to top of well in inches using the eyeball method.

Felt pretty good that the front returned a little lower than unloaded. But just to confirm I also hit the weigh station and did the 3 trips as described in another thread. Results with family on board are in 2nd image. Again, this felt good since I’m within 20 lbs of the unloaded weight on the front axle.

From my calculations I have a 700 lbs tongue weight & 5620 TT GVW, giving a 13.7% tongue to GVW ratio. Only difference I expect for future trips is a full fresh water tank (was reading 1/3 during these measurements), a little more gear for longer stays, and hopefully a couple of solar panels.

The 264bh has a 6500 GVWR, so I have a decent margin. I’m not really worried about the truck.

Let me know what you think and if I forgot anything. Hopefully this gives others with similar setup an idea of where they may stand.
Attached Thumbnails
measure.JPG   weights.JPG  

2022 F350 7.3 CCLB SRW
2014 264BH
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Scott,

I agree with your results, looks like your TV/TT combination is dialed in pretty good, and based on your present loaded TV/TT conditions your WDH should be rated at 800lbs minimum, but this could change depending on the effect of the future added cargo and fresh water you mentioned.

Great reference information for folks to use as a reference.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote