Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Michelin XRV tires

Hi everyone.
It's time to get rid of the camper's tires. They are 5 years old, it's time for them to go. I would like to purchase new tires the first of the year before we start camping again.
Doing my research on what tires to purchase for the 2004 Jayflight 27BH. I'm really interested in the Michelin XRV. Does anybody have these tires on their camper? Likes or dislikes and why, please. Any help on this subject is welcomed.

Campit

Hubby, Me and Bossman makes three.

2007 Toyota CrewMax
2004 Jay Flight 27BH
Campit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:40 PM   #2

Michelin XRV tires

Hello again.

I haven't received a response as of yet on my previous post.
Maybe I should ask these questions. What brand of tires do you use on your camper? Why did you finally choose that brand? Have you had bad experiences with certain brands? Help a lady out. I would like to hear your opinions, please.
Thank you.

2007 Toyota CrewMax
2004 Jay Flight 27BH
Old 09-13-2015, 05:51 AM   #3

XRV is only made for a MH (19.5 & 22") that is probably why your not getting any response. The problem in may cases with switching to a LT is finding the proper load range without changing rims to accomodate the additional pressure needed.

Gooyear makes a great G614 trailer tire I would look to see if it's available in the size you need and if your rims will handle it.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #4

I'm so glad you responded. So the XRV tires are for motorhomes. That marks them off the list. Thanks.
I've researched some more this am after reading your post. I see Goodyear had some good and some bad reviews. The same thing goes for other brands as well. I think most time tire failures come form improper tire inflation, exceeding the speed limit rating for the tires, not paying attention to the wear and tear of the tires, etc. I figured this is why brands get most of their bad reviews sometimes.
I found the Maxxis M8008 tires have the most positive reviews out of all brands. But the research will continue.
Thank you, Grumpy for your help!

Campit

2007 Toyota CrewMax
2004 Jay Flight 27BH
Old 09-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

The original Tow Max tires on my fifth wheel lasted less than two years and less than 2000 miles. Inflation was religiously checked before every trip and the 65 MPH speed limit was observed. They all just started coming apart.

I replaced them this spring with the Maxxis trailer tires, based mostly on all of the positive reviews of the Maxxis. So far, so good, but it's really way to early to tell how good they are.

I would prefer to ditch the trailer tires altogether and just put LT truck tires on my camper, but based on the weight of my camper and the difference in the load ratings between ST and LT tires, I am afraid to make that change.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

The more research I do, the more positive reviews I'm seeing for the Maxxis tires. So far they look like the brand to go with. I think I also will be sticking with ST instead of LT because of the load ratings too. Thanks for your input, etex211!

Campit

2007 Toyota CrewMax
2004 Jay Flight 27BH
Old 09-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
The original Tow Max tires on my fifth wheel lasted less than two years and less than 2000 miles. Inflation was religiously checked before every trip and the 65 MPH speed limit was observed. They all just started coming apart.
Common on the Tow Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I would prefer to ditch the trailer tires altogether and just put LT truck tires on my camper, but based on the weight of my camper and the difference in the load ratings between ST and LT tires, I am afraid to make that change.
I checked with a local RV repair shop and the C.W. dealer in El Paso and both said there is no reason not to go to LT tires. In fact C.W. service guy said he didn't know why they didn't put LT's on in the factory other than to keep cost down. The only caveat is rims need changed for G rated tires that carry 110psi. The E rated LT's are 80psi so you can use the stock rims, plus they are not speed rated at 65mph. I still tow at 62-65 but I'm not afraid to pass a slow vehicle at 70-75.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campit View Post
The more research I do, the more positive reviews I'm seeing for the Maxxis tires. So far they look like the brand to go with. I think I also will be sticking with ST instead of LT because of the load ratings too. Thanks for your input, etex211!

Campit
There is a deal on ebay at present for Maxxis tires spend $400.00 or more and you will get a $100.00 discount This offer is good till Tuesday The offer is thru Discount tires Not sure what sizes this offer is good for but worth checking it out.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #9

I will check out that discount on Ebay. Thanks for the tip, bedrck46!

2007 Toyota CrewMax
2004 Jay Flight 27BH