Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher87 View Post
I have read the entire thread, and therefore know that you have decided (wisely I might add) to use the F350 as your TV.

In regards to towing, I have always been one to go hunting for deer with a howitzer so to speak, mostly due to the fact that I make my living by pushing the envelope of weight down the highway ...snip...
I agree, there is no kill, like overkill!

Converting my F-350 into a tow vehicle would best be described as an expedient.

I'm throwing about $5k at it and the Explorer to give me the vehicles I can use comfortably for the next 2-3 years.

Thanks for the info on the suspension mods, but the F-350 will be always be my chore truck. So it will retain the 1-ton suspension and all the issues associated with being prepared to carry that kind of load.

Yes, I am trying to connect with the online (my local place doesn't have weekend or evening hours) auto recycling community to find some nicer seats (30+ possible combinations!) 1999-2010 seats are bolt-in replacements. "Base", "Eddie Bower", "Lariat" and "King Ranch" are all trim lines that were available. I want to find something that will keep SWMBO's and my butts happy for a full tank of fuel!

Once things square up financially, I will be commissioning my Dream Truck which will be purpose-built for towing a 5K-6K# bumper-pull trailer, look nice enough for going out on Saturday night and comfy enough to not mind being stuck in traffic. Lofty goals, huh?
__________________

__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #52
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 43
Easy peasy.
I wasnt aware of there being an Eddie Bauer trim in the super doody's. The King Ranch is gorgeous, but the leather requires meticulous maintenance, and sets that havent been thrashed go for a pretty penny....
But they are comfy, and I love mine.
Lariat has some really nice leather.
If you decide to go KR, private message me and Ill give you the lowdown on rehabilitation of dry seats and maintenance.

You could always go off the deep end and custom fit some legacy lo seats out of a kenworth
__________________

__________________
2008 F350 King Ranch, 6.4 full delete, studded and tuned. On board air, automatic air levelling
Preacher87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher87 View Post
Easy peasy.
I wasnt aware of there being an Eddie Bauer trim in the super doody's. The King Ranch is gorgeous, but the leather requires meticulous maintenance, and sets that havent been thrashed go for a pretty penny....
But they are comfy, and I love mine.
Lariat has some really nice leather.
If you decide to go KR, private message me and Ill give you the lowdown on rehabilitation of dry seats and maintenance.

You could always go off the deep end and custom fit some legacy lo seats out of a kenworth
Still trying to get an edumacation on what is available....

Eddie Bauer Edition seats are mounted in the front of the Explorer. Back in '09 or '10 a load of Explorers were pulled off the market. So things like really nice seats and running boards were quite plentiful and cheap for a while....

Thanks, I should narrow my search to Lariat seats from a 2010 standard cab. That'll be recent enough for the retailers, not totally trashed and probably affordable.

As far as caring for leather interiors, my dad is a retired auto trimmer. The last 20 years he only worked on exotics like Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Lamborghini, etc. So, I'll have plenty of unsolicited 'help' caring for this modification.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,740
Totally confirmed!

While doing a routine service on the Explorer, I found and read the tags on the differentials. 3.55.

No doubts at all: 3,500lbs max trailer weight. The 1.25" receiver matches the official limits of the truck perfectly.

-------

The F-350 is getting new tires this month.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Totally confirmed!

While doing a routine service on the Explorer, I found and read the tags on the differentials. 3.55.

No doubts at all: 3,500lbs max trailer weight. The 1.25" receiver matches the official limits of the truck perfectly.

-------

The F-350 is getting new tires this month.
So are you doing the buy back on the TDI or holding out for more money by parking it until the deadline?

I completed the buy back in Jan. I had parked it last August a while after hearing about the odometer adjustment and replacing it with a Subaru WRX. For my 09 Jetta it was working out to $50/mo by leaving it parked. So it didn't make much sense keeping it that long even though it was paid off.
__________________
2011 GMC Yukon Denali AWD
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
sennister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
So are you doing the buy back on the TDI or holding out for more money by parking it until the deadline?

I completed the buy back in Jan. I had parked it last August a while after hearing about the odometer adjustment and replacing it with a Subaru WRX. For my 09 Jetta it was working out to $50/mo by leaving it parked. So it didn't make much sense keeping it that long even though it was paid off.
As with you, I completed the buyback. 2/25/17.

Considering the cost of insurance, registration and the interest on the loan, it wasn't worth leaving it parked to let the monthly mileage adjustment stack up. I wanted to turn in the polluting (and lying about it) piece-of-[stuff] back in July, when they announced a settlement.

All-in-all I got cash in my pocket of over 2/3 of the original purchase price. Even AFTER they paid off the balance of the loan AND I had driven the car for over 110,000 miles.

----------------

There is something the Explorer offers that no sedan can ever match. The seat is at that perfect height where I can just plant my butt and pull my legs in. No plopping down! Throw in those 5 barn doors and 6,000,000 cuft of cargo capacity.... It's a keeper! Only one downside: Stopping for fuel 2-3 times per week.
__________________

__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.