Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Mods to Jayco Bike Tray / Rack ?

We ordered the slide out bike tray, without having seen it, and are a little disappointed with it considering how well thought out the rest of the trailer is. The "bike tray" has a single upright bar at the very back to attach the bikes to, so they have lean against each other which is not great. Have been using a bunch of cut up pool noodles and zip ties to protect the bikes from each other which makes the process take longer than it should both on departure and arrival. Has anybody come up with any modifications to keep the bikes more upright or been able to use pieces from another bike rack to accomplish this ?
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #2

I gave up on my factory bike/cargo tray and gave it away. I had issues beyond just securing the bikes, it caused the stab jacks to sit several inches lower and they would drag on even modest driveways.

Now that is just my experience, many other really like it. In fact mine went to another JOF Member "Our Jayco" who seems to successfuly use it.

As an alternative I had a 2" receiver fabricated and welded frame to frame with some additional bracking. Then I have used a couple differnt hitch mounted racks. The best option, and what we will use from now in is...http://www.amazon.com/Cargo-Carrier-...=tow+tuff+bike
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I gave up on my factory bike/cargo tray and gave it away. I had issues beyond just securing the bikes, it caused the stab jacks to sit several inches lower and they would drag on even modest driveways.

Now that is just my experience, many other really like it. In fact mine went to another JOF Member "Our Jayco" who seems to successfuly use it.

As an alternative I had a 2" receiver fabricated and welded frame to frame with some additional bracking. Then I have used a couple differnt hitch mounted racks. The best option, and what we will use from now in is...http://www.amazon.com/Cargo-Carrier-...=tow+tuff+bike
The reciever fabirication and installation was $300 and the rack was $160. Less than $500 I have a much better solution for our use.

Oh we haul 4 bikes.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank You "Clubhouse"!!!!
I have used the tray/rack with success the 10 - 12 times I used it last year. With that being said, I have carried 1 or bikes often. There is only one time that I carried 3 bikes.

I use rachet straps to keep the secure. I thought about the noodle technique, but I also found it takes longer to stow the bikes and I hope they are not lost during the travel.

I stagger the bikes so that one faces right and the other faces left and strap them down with ratchet straps. Between the bikes, I place a small tarp (8 x 8) and bacisally cover one bike. One half of the tarp is between the bikes, going over the top of one bike and then secured to the tray towards the front by the TT, not the rear of the tray.

In the 10 - 12 times, it has worked great. The ratchet straps keeps the bikes and the tarp in place.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #5

One more thing to consider -- making an angled tire holder out of pvc. If you are only trying to haul two bikes that might be more helpful than the grooves in the tray.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

I bought mine used without hardware so I "upgraded" to all grade 8 bolts and shot a coat of spray paint on it.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
The reciever fabirication and installation was $300 and the rack was $160. Less than $500 I have a much better solution for our use.

Oh we haul 4 bikes.
Clubhouse, if I could sell my bike tray for even half of what I paid for it I would follow in your footsteps immediately and I may yet still, but I would like to explore whether there are any possibilities of salvaging the attached bike tray. The receiver hitch also make more sense if you want to put it on the TV while the TT remains behind and you want to go biking somewhere. Do you have any idea how many pounds the receiver is good for ?

You mention making "an angled tire holder out of PVC." but I am trying to picture what you are referring to but I am drawing a blank. Do you have a picture or link to what you are referring to ? Not a ringing endorsement, but if there is anybody in Eastern Ontario that regrets not ordering the bike tray, I have one that could be available.

Because of the length of time for each bike, we have taken to just carrying 2 bikes, one child's and one adult bike. I do strap them down and cover with a nylon bike cover that I got on sale at CW, but I strap them only to the tray and bar but not the TT bumper because they are able to move independently of each other. I am not concerned about the tray's ability to support the 2 bikes, but just them rubbing against each other during transport.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #8

I bought my Jayco bike tray on Craigslist for $200 and an extra $20 for him to bring it to my job..I was happy.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 04-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Clubhouse, if I could sell my bike tray for even half of what I paid for it I would follow in your footsteps immediately and I may yet still, but I would like to explore whether there are any possibilities of salvaging the attached bike tray. The receiver hitch also make more sense if you want to put it on the TV while the TT remains behind and you want to go biking somewhere. Do you have any idea how many pounds the receiver is good for ?

You mention making "an angled tire holder out of PVC." but I am trying to picture what you are referring to but I am drawing a blank. Do you have a picture or link to what you are referring to ? Not a ringing endorsement, but if there is anybody in Eastern Ontario that regrets not ordering the bike tray, I have one that could be available.

Because of the length of time for each bike, we have taken to just carrying 2 bikes, one child's and one adult bike. I do strap them down and cover with a nylon bike cover that I got on sale at CW, but I strap them only to the tray and bar but not the TT bumper because they are able to move independently of each other. I am not concerned about the tray's ability to support the 2 bikes, but just them rubbing against each other during transport.
Google "PVC Bike Rack", there are dozens of different pictures. Here is one of the first hits...https://deohsan.wordpress.com/2013/0...o-big-project/

By the way my Bike Rack was traded for a case of beer, plus he paid shipping from CA to MN. I was totally frustrated, and beer was worth more to me than that damn rack.

There does seem to be people who want them and know how to use them. So maybe you will get lucky.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #10

I loosen the handle bars (all my bikes seem to be the same size allen head) and tighten the handle bars to the side. Makes for getting the bikes to stack a little easier. We do place foam between them and use a ratchet strap to hold them tight. Maybe not perfect but better than carrying them up front like I used to do..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 04-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #11

I had made a PVC bike rack that stood 5 bikes up in the back of the pick-up. I bought a topper when I bought the new Eagle last year. I broke the PVC bike rack apart into individual tire holders and they keep my bike tires in the groves on the slide out tray. I put four bikes on my tray and secure them with ratchet straps. I use a couple pieces is swim noodle between them before I tighten the straps.