Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #1

mountain towing

Hi,

I'm looking for any opinions from those who have experience towing a TT in the mountains, especially the Rockies of western Canada. We just purchased a 2013 Silverado 1500 CC with the 5.3L engine and 3.42 gears. It has the tow package and is rated for 9400 LBS. The heaviest trailer we are looking to purchase is a Jayco 23M that has a dry weight as equipped of 5020 LBS. With gear and the possibility of carrying some water, we anticipate a maximum weight of around 6200 LBS. It's just myself and DW in the TV and together we weigh under 250 LBS. The only option that we have added to the TV is a Retrax tonneau so the tow capacity might be reduced by about 200 LBS. What do you think? Can we safely tow this package in the mountains? Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,

gwncanuck
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #2

If you pay attention to all the specs related to your TV when you purchase the TT you will be fine. Don't let anyone else tell you "its fine" or "no problem". Go weigh your TV loaded and ready to go so you know exactly how much tongue weight you can accommodate as well as not exceed the GVWR, GCVWR and individual axle ratings. If you are thoughtful in your purchase you will be safe towing in mountains or flats on both long and short trips.

Remember that gas engine will be screaming at you on any grades. These engines are designed to produce horsepower at high RPMs, unlike diesel which makes HP at considerably lower RPM.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #3

I have towed through the US Rockys twice. My first trip on I-70 west of Denver was nerve racking as all get out. Once I got used to it and knew what to expect and how to handle myself, it wasn't bad. I will say that towing through mountains is not a time for your TV to be "just adequate". You want some reserve. This is where the "thousand pound" rule comes into play. When we did it the first time, we had a '95 'Burb with a 5k towing capacity and 3:42 gears towing a 3500# GVWR hybrid trailer. That 'Burb was a great truck but the HP was only 200 with 350 lbs of torque. Be were able to keep it up to about 40 mph on those grades, but that was about it.

We also did it with the same trailer and the Trailblazer listed in my sig. 4900# towing capacity, 3:42 rear, but 270 HP / 280 lb torque. This truck is a far better TV than that old 'Burb was. We did about 50 mph at 4000 RPM up those mountains without struggling. I could have gone faster but I was trying to keep the engine and trans temps down. It must have worked too, my Trailblazer has 150 on it and the transmission is in excellent working condition.

Regardless of what you tow with, stay in the right lane and take it easy on those 6/7% percent grades. Don't feel you need to keep up with traffic, its not a race. The semis will be doing 35 up those mountains with their flashers on. Even the 5vers being towed by 1 ton trucks weren't moving too fast up those grades. As said above don't be afraid of the engine whine or high RPMs. Newer engines are built to run a 4500 RPMs all day.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #4

I never worry much about going up, it's down that gets me sitting up and paying attention.
Make sure you have your hitch setup correctly with the right load transfer bars and the hitch height where it should be. Your tailer will push on you when you come down and that's when you need to be sure you are loaded properly and that your tailer is not lifting your TV rear end. Make sure brake system is setup right and working as it should. Use engine braking as much as possible.

If you have everything setup right it's going to be a great experience and your equiptment should serve you well for a long time.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

When going down a steep grade, shift down a gear if needed before you get into the down hill.
I never try to down shift in the middle of a hill unless I am going up hill.
In my 4Runner, 3rd gear will keep me at 55mph down a 6-7% grade.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #6

Thanks clubhouse, DocBrown, and elder mike. I've made notes and we're going to the dealer today to take a close look at the trailer.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

I tow a EXP 213 which is approximately the same weight as your trailer with a 2003 GMC 1500 5.3, 4:10 rear end. Almost all of my towing is in British Columbia and western Alberta. I have found that my truck pulls the unit no problem and I have towed most of the big grades in very hot conditions. Even though the truck seems to handle the loads well, the high engine revs can get a bit unnerving on long climbs such as the Coquihalla. Be prepared to watch the fuel gauge drop at near warp speed LOL. I am fanatical about keeping my rad clean (bug screens) and my truck well serviced. The issue I do have, is keeping under max gross vehicle weight rating, its darn difficult to not take your fishing gear, zodiac, generator, etc. when you head out on a longer trip. and As a result my 1500 is going be replaced by a 2500 this winter
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
When going down a steep grade, shift down a gear if needed before you get into the down hill.
I never try to down shift in the middle of a hill unless I am going up hill.
In my 4Runner, 3rd gear will keep me at 55mph down a 6-7% grade.

Doug
Exactly, always use the same gear going down that you would use going up.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

Could you provide some further details/numbers for your TV? Is this short box or a short box w/NHT enhanced trailering pkg? 2WD or 4WD? (I'm guessing it's a short box without the enhanced trailering pkg and having 4WD; please confirm). Are you sure about the tow rating number of 9400lbs? That number seems to be for the Extended Cab model; the Crew Cab (or CC as you listed in your signature) has a tow rating of 9500lbs for a short box having 4WD. Thanks.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #10

I live in Utah county, and pretty much only tow in the mountains. The lowest pass to get out of here is at 6500ft, and others are much higher. We tow close to the limit, but not over in my Titan. The biggest thing I towed on a normal bases was a 4 position snowmobile trailer, and never expected to have a travel trailer(much less one this big).

Don't be afraid to downshift, and let the gear wind out. It's much better for your truck than your transmission hunting for gears.
Don't try to be the first one up or down the hill. Take your time, and be slow and deliberate with any maneuvers you must make.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #11

I have been over the Rockies on I90 and also on secondary roads with my Silverado 3500 4.10 8.1L gas and JayFlight 29BHS 7500#. The truck had no problem climbing the grades. It had an Allison 1000 transmission so it automatically downshifts on downgrades to save the brakes. It was very stable and towed very well. I also towed the same setup through the mountains (not the Rockies) with a Dodge 1500 with an 5.9L and it was terrifying. I suggest you weigh your truck first. I bet your weights will be over what the sticker says. Use your actual weights when figuring what you can tow safely. Remember your truck will lose power the higher the elevation. Assuming you are under the weight limits be very patient with your truck and monitor the temps.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #12

Going down the hill is what prompted me to switch out my Ecoboost F150 for a 3500 Duramax. Going down the Grapevine and the Siskiyous in 2nd gear trying to hold it under 60 was not fun. Just take it easy and slow. No point being all stressed out on a trip that should be enjoyed.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw156 View Post
Going down the hill is what prompted me to switch out my Ecoboost F150 for a 3500 Duramax. Going down the Grapevine and the Siskiyous in 2nd gear trying to hold it under 60 was not fun. Just take it easy and slow. No point being all stressed out on a trip that should be enjoyed.
I fully agree!
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #14

If you had 3:70 or 4:10 gears you would be a lot better off.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBadger View Post
Could you provide some further details/numbers for your TV? Is this short box or a short box w/NHT enhanced trailering pkg? 2WD or 4WD? (I'm guessing it's a short box without the enhanced trailering pkg and having 4WD; please confirm). Are you sure about the tow rating number of 9400lbs? That number seems to be for the Extended Cab model; the Crew Cab (or CC as you listed in your signature) has a tow rating of 9500lbs for a short box having 4WD. Thanks.
WIBadger

The truck is a short box (5'8") crew cab with 4wd as you suspected. It has the regular tow package, not the NHT option. The tow rating is stated as 9500lb but since getting the truck I have added upgrades to it including bed spray liner, Retrax tonneau cover, mud flaps, undercoating, and rear wheel housing liners, all of which will add weight that will have to be deducted from payload capacity and thus tongue weight. I intend to weigh the truck to get a more accurate idea of how much tongue weight I really have. The jayco 23m that we bought shows a tongue weight of 635 lbs and a GVWR of 6500 lbs. Once I have the equalizer installed the tongue weight will be higher so I want a good idea of my capacity. I think I'm OK because the allowable tongue weight for this truck, with an equalizer hitch, is 1100 lbs. My son, who is a GM tech and who chose the truck for us, tells me I'm over-thinking the numbers and will have no problems towing this particular trailer with the gear that we typically take on our trips.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #16

Agree with your son. Its good to know your weights but you should be well within your limits. Drive carefully and don't be in a hurry. I like to time my drive thru difficult areas to avoid heavy traffic. Being retired has its benefits. My TV is pretty much a ditto of yours but an 08. We will probably upgrade to a 2500 eventually, but plan on pulling our new White Hawk for a couple years with the 1500. We don't full time and take one long trip and a few medium trips each year. The wear and tear on the TV should be well withing tolerances. Keep up with maintenance, air up your tires to just below max limit, and enjoy your trip.

I don't need a Duramax 10 1/2 months out of 12 each year so I'll make do with my current TV.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #17

One thing to also watch out for on the downhills are crazy bus drivers. They must have amazing brakes and engine braking ability because they come out of nowhere and pass you doing 80. First one **** near pulled me into the other lane and startled me half to death. As soon as I saw a bus on my rearview I made sure to get into the right lane and "brace myself" for the pass.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw156 View Post
... are crazy bus drivers. ...
That one strikes a nerve with me. In my many previous decades on the road I always had respect for the professionals. Truckers and others are usually more predictable than casual drivers.

Lately I am less than impressed by bus drivers. So many of them drive too fast, follow too close, change lanes too abruptly, and generally show a lack of professionalism. It is almost like they think that bus drivers have some greater reason for traveling than the rest of us mere mortals. It's no wonder to me that it seems there are more buses involved in accidents lately than I ever noticed before.

I know that not all bus drivers are bad, but the bad ones stick out. Sorry for the highjack.

Back to topic. I am very aware anytime buses get near me and almost expect them to do something stupid. So I give a x10 to the watch out for buses in the mountains warning.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote