Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #41

You will find the rating of the TV receiver on a sticker on the receiver. Might have to crawl under the back bumper to see it. There are 2 numbers to look for. One in weight carrying mode, one in weight distribution mode.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #42

If your trucks is squatting 4" there's no way that it's level. Every Ram 1500 I see running around looks to be only about 2" higher in the rear. Even my 2500 Ram only sits 3" higher in the rear. No 1/2 ton truck sits 4" higher in the rear.
As far as not using WD that's up to you. Only guys I see not using a WD on that TT would be the guys that pull them for transport company. But they use 1 ton DRW trucks.

What you're doing reminds me of the guys that ride Harleys with the ape hanger bars and the skinny seat with hard tail suspension. They may think they're cool but to anyone that rides motorcycles they know the guys really uncomfortable.

All of us that tow know what you're experiencing. And it ain't right..
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #43

Guess I might chime in, although everything has already been said. From a Ram 1500 owner- those published (and even stickered) payload numbers are optomistic at best. When I actually weighed mine, there was a fairly significant difference.
The comments I offer are not to be considered "advice" or "rules" or anything that can be mistaken for "it works for me so you should be fine" because that is not the case- I know my setup isn't ideal, I don't like the situation I am in, but we plan and drive and load accordingly and make do with what we have to work with for the next few years. With my Laramie CC, I handily exceed the GVWR of the truck which is not an actual legal issue where I tow. The most important ones in my eyes (and this is just personal opinion since it's what we always have used growing up) are your axle, tire, receiver and combination ratings. Those mean business. Ideally- not exceeding GVWR is what you need to shoot for. Rhetoric though- I apologize.
For reference, hook your trailer up to your truck without the WDH then go weigh your front a rear axle. Then, with a WDH, go weigh again. You'll see the difference. Sometimes the WDH can actually keep you within your RAWR- you'd be surprised. Teh spring bars will also aid in keeping your trailer tracking true during crosswinds, being passed, etc.
I tow a 5500lbs 26' Jayfeather with my Ram. I have to report (with some embarassment) that my TV is between 400-600 over GVWR when we tow depending on duration, but under all axle, tire, receiver ratings and at only 57% of our tow rating (it's rated to pull 9650lbs) and more than 2000lbs below our combination rating. The reason we aren't upgrading our TV yet is simply because the two oldest are only a year away from leaving the nest, and that results in 500lbs less body weight, and a smaller trailer. For now, the upgraded coils in the front and rear, proper shocks, and better rubber allow us to carry the extra weight (note I didn't say legally exceed or increase payload) better. I can't imagine pulling what you are without my Blue Ox hitch and some serious suspension aids. With a 700lbs tongue weight and a full cab I sag 3" now, the bars return it level.
So, while you may not have experienced a problem yet, there are still plenty of miles ahead of you. Not sure I would chance it personally.

I am not trying to sound smug or a know it all. I tow with a Ram. The suspension is surprisingly squishy from factory. Not sure I could do what you're doing knowing what I do about these trucks. That being said, any reports I have read about the little VM 3.0 towing have been nothing but praise- so they have a winner on their hands I think, and you have a great little truck
Old 12-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #44

Hey Guys sorry im not writing on this, Im currently staying at an rv park that dosent have wifi :/

I can say right now, driving down here I felt some good cross winds and it had a little wobble a couple times but nothing I would get to worried about. Keep in mind 2014 has a completely newly designed suspension. Im guessing the one with the tow package has a better rear setup? I would swear its closer to a 3/4 ton then a 1/2. My last truck was an f150 and this thing is MUCH more stout. Also ill upload before and after pictures with it hooked up in the future. I tell you the truth the "stock" rear suspension sits higher in the back unloaded and hooked up with a napa 5" lift hitch the truck it mostly straight, slightly higher in the back still with the trailer "dead" level, Bubble in the middle. That is hard to beat. To get the same with a wdh which I think ill do now to get some weight to the front, Ill have to get yet another hitch. I really like it like it is, I can say I do feel it when big truck flies by me though.
Happy NEW YEAR from Key Largo!!
kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #45

I assume you have the air suspension then? My '13 has the tow prep group but the coils across all models and trims in the 1500 is identical with the '13 and '14, the '13 being the mid gen refresh got a slightly updated 5 link rear setup with a better sway bar etc. So the only difference I could see is the 4 corner air.

Either way- glad you had a safe trip. Enjoy the stay
Old 12-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #46

Kronos, post some pics of Key Largo. Tent camped there a few years back and John Pennecamp state park is awesome. We also camped at Bahia Honda and it's awesome...
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielro View Post
John Pennecamp state park is awesome...
Thats where were headed in two days! Currently in Jupiter inlet. We have 4 days booked in key largo. Ill be sure to post some pictures!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #48

Being in a similar situation I thought I might share a little.

I have gotten from 12.5 to 14 MPG towing up to 65 mph. Very impressed with the truck’s fuel economy and ability to handle this TT. Unloaded I have seen 29.4 MPG highway and 22-24 MPG around town. Love it!

I have only had my TT a little while and did extensive calculations on the weight of this trailer vs. the weight ratings on my truck before purchasing it and realize that I am slightly overweight. I used a scale to figure this out. My yellow sticker weight on my TT is ~5900 lbs. Truck GVWR 6950 and GCVWR 13500 tow rating 7800 payload 1276. OP… here is a site that will give you the specs for your truck http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide

I am disappointed that I am overweight; buying a vehicle using the tow ratings only is so misleading. The thought that "I will never tow more than 7800 lbs" is what MOST people think when buying a truck, as I did, not realizing that they will probably never be able to tow even close to the max and stay within all the other ratings of the truck.

I added the Timbren SES and I will say that I did this not realizing that my WDH wasn’t set up properly; had my hitch been set up properly, like it is now, I probably wouldn’t have spent the $$ on the Timbrens.

I would NEVER tow/haul any more weight with my truck than I do now and frankly can see a 250/2500 truck in my future. The only thing that goes in my truck while towing is my wife, sometimes my mother-in-law and a bike or 2 because of my GVWR limitations.
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #49

My 2014 Eco Diesel and 28dsbh

I'll be honest. I didn't read every post. But why didn't dodge/ram (call it what u want) put a baby Cummings in the 1500 diesel? That's their biggest selling point. They used a Maserati diesel... I mean isn't Nissan putting a smaller Cummings in their truck? I don't understand...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:35 AM   #50

That's because Fiat bought Chrysler after the financial crash of 2009. Fiat already had that diesel engine in their vehicle production line-up. They just tweeked it a bit to put it in the Ram 1500.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #51

Got it. Thanks David. It had me wondering... Sorry to have hijacked thread.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #52

Heres a few pictures from Key Largo
Attached Thumbnails
10292.jpg   101552.jpg   104872.jpg   108851.jpg   108980.jpg  

Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #53

Few more
Attached Thumbnails
1091519.jpg   10401954.jpg   190791.jpg   1089162.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 12:14 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post

I am disappointed that I am overweight; buying a vehicle using the tow ratings only is so misleading. The thought that "I will never tow more than 7800 lbs" is what MOST people think when buying a truck, as I did, not realizing that they will probably never be able to tow even close to the max and stay within all the other ratings of the truck.
Yes I choose my new truck based on those tow #'s as well. Im still having some trouble digesting that my brand new truck isnt a good match for my 1/2 towable trailer :/ I just saw on the dodge forum a guy was towing a 24' trailer with 5 people in the truck and a ski mobile loaded in the bed. lol.

Looks like we have about the same tt weight. My truck is ratted to handle 8k and almost 1600 in the bed.

Coming back from Fl I felt some real good cross winds and realize I need to look into the wdh's.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #55

Looks like you really enjoyed Key Largo!
We love it in the Keys, but don't get there very often.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #56

I love the tree covered road.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #57

Love the Keys, looks like you had a great trip
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote