Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

My 2014 Eco Diesel and 28dsbh

Anyone looking for a half ton to use as a TV, a Dodge 1500 Eco Diesel is as good as it gets. I just took mine 750 miles south into FL for Christmas and it tows Great!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0949.jpg  
kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #2

looks nice ..what's the tongue wait and mpg and overall weight of the tt
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
looks nice ..what's the tongue wait and mpg and overall weight of the tt
Thank you, Tongue weight is aprox 750 I think. Dry its listed as 635, So im adding a little with tanks and all. Again tt dry is listed as 5460, so Im guessing its currently at 6500 tops. This was my first trip and mpg's vary greatly with speed. at 75 mph it was around 12 mpg which is really good at that speed. I finally calmed down to see what the top mpg could be and that was 16.7 at 55 mph, then 14.5 running 60-65 which is where ill keep it. The same gasser at that speed would be getting 8 mpg.

Matthew
Old 12-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #4

What is the payload for your truck? I think I read the max tow was 9500 when properly equipped.

I have a 28DSBH as well and my yellow sticker is a hair over 6K and loaded I'm right at 7K. Tongue weight is 950 to 1K depending on loading technique...right at the 13%-15% recommended.

I like the Ecodiesel lots and think it'll do great pulling and towing but was unsure of such a large trailer how it would do. Glad it did so well and decent milage too (when running 65 or lower).

My 5.7 Hemi was only getting 7 or 8 like you said but my 2500 6.4 is pulling 10 - 12...which is great for a big gasser. Payload is 3K and towing is 12K...handles the 28DSBH great.

Knew those Ecodiesels would be up to the task...great trucks and class exclusive powerplant. Congtrats on both!
Old 12-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #5

Great looking combo. I must admit, I'm jealous of the mileage you're getting...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Very Nice !!!
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #7

Man, that sounds great. Congrats
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

sounds like a great fit! For curiosity, what is your payload sticker say? I had a 2013 Ram laramie CC with Hemi and mine was only 1061lbs. I wound think(?) the ecodiesel would reduce payload, but maybe not since it is a smaller engine?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
sounds like a great fit! For curiosity, what is your payload sticker say? I had a 2013 Ram laramie CC with Hemi and mine was only 1061lbs. I wound think(?) the ecodiesel would reduce payload, but maybe not since it is a smaller engine?
1516 listed eco diesel is at least a couple hundred pounds lighter with more torque than the 5.7. Not more HP though. It also has a 3:55 rear gear and the smoothest shifting 8 speed tranny I've ever driven.

With the trailer sitting on the tongue without a wd hitch and with a 5" raise lift from napa, I have several inches of spring left before it hits the rubber snubber and truck rides perfectly straight without squatting and the trailer is straight as well. If I want to add some weight to the truck Theres an air bag kit I can add inside the springs for less than 100 bucks that will raise the payload capacity greatly If I want. I would feel safe towing as much as 9k with it personally.
Matthew
Old 12-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronos View Post
1516 listed eco diesel is at least a couple hundred pounds lighter with more torque than the 5.7. Not more HP though. It also has a 3:55 rear gear and the smoothest shifting 8 speed tranny I've ever driven.

With the trailer sitting on the tongue without a wd hitch and with a 5" raise lift from napa, I have several inches of spring left before it hits the rubber snubber and truck rides perfectly straight without squatting and the trailer is straight as well. If I want to add some weight to the truck Theres an air bag kit I can add inside the springs for less than 100 bucks that will raise the payload capacity greatly If I want. I would feel safe towing as much as 9k with it personally.
Matthew
Are you sure those airbags will increase the payload? Payload isn't a function of how much weight your springs and axles will hold. It takes into account many factors such as transmission strength, engine, brakes, etc. If you add airbags there is still just as much weight acting on those parts. There are max pin weights listed on a sticker on your truck. That is what each axle will hold, yet it's often more than the payload capacity.

No trying to prove you are incorrect, just pointing out that you may really want to research that claim before dropping cash on airbags. My understanding is they really just help it ride level and smoother if needed
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #11

UPCamper is correct. Airbags don't increase the payload, they just replace one of the weak links that limit payload. It will ride smoother and handle the weight better, but nothing will increase the payload. It is set by the manufacturer based upon federal testing.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #12

Sounds like it is a good match! I weighed my truck on way to buy the same trailer u have...with family loaded up and full if fuel I had about 400lbs of payload left...I wasn't happy to say the least! That's when I looked and found the payload sticker. I am glad I sold it and ordered a 3500ctd but that ecodiesel is the real deal for towing a travel trailer I think. Congrats again!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #13

Thanks Gtsum2, That 3500 ctd is a pretty good choice too. If I had a big family I might go that route.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #14

The air bags will not increase payload as already stated...they do help with rear sag and overall stability though and with a 1500, certainly a good idea.

1500 payload is good but watch your tongue weight. Loading techique will be key since I think you will be close. Look at WDH too which can aid in weight transfer but remember, they don't add to payload either...rather help with sway, stability and handling.

The Ecodiesel is capable, but the 1500 payload and tow capabilities will be limiting.

Congrats again on both!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #15

Thanks ya'll, Ill keep that in mind about the bags not raising the payload. I wasnt thinking alot, Just If I wanted more than just me and the wife in the truck. I would feel fine with 5 people in there with the trailer and spring bags. When you mention load technique, you mean not putting to much weight in the front of the trailer correct?

You guys are gonna have a ball with this, but Im thinking of getting with a buddy and fabricating a hitch receiver to the back of the trailer to hook a boat to thats 2500 lbs. ;0) What do ya think of that? lol
Old 12-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #16

We looked at the Eco diesel and I really liked it but went with a Chevy with Duramax in case we decide to go bigger in a year or two.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #17

Can I ask what you're think when towing 75mph? Good grief the tires are only rated for 65mph max. Also maybe it's the pic angle but it looks like the front of the TT is 2-3" out of level. Please slow down.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Good grief the tires are only rated for 65mph max.
Assuming that he hasn't changed out the tires, ST tires are rated for capacity at 65 mph. Over 65 mph and your weight rating decreases. If you have tires that are overrated for your weight, you can theoretically drive over 65 with them and still maintain an appropriate load rating.

That being said, it isn't the best idea to constantly drive faster than 65 when towing for a myriad of reasons. That is to each driver to find a comfortable compromise between speed and safety.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #19

My 2014 Eco Diesel and 28dsbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronos View Post
Thanks ya'll, Ill keep that in mind about the bags not raising the payload. I wasnt thinking alot, Just If I wanted more than just me and the wife in the truck. I would feel fine with 5 people in there with the trailer and spring bags. When you mention load technique, you mean not putting to much weight in the front of the trailer correct?

You guys are gonna have a ball with this, but Im thinking of getting with a buddy and fabricating a hitch receiver to the back of the trailer to hook a boat to thats 2500 lbs. ;0) What do ya think of that? lol
I'll be honest with you and tell you what I think on a couple items you've posted...

1) Your payload would not allow 5 people in that truck. At best, after you load the TT and hitch it up to the truck, you might have 500 pounds left for people and whatever gear you decide to throw in the bed. Your trailer tongue is at least 900 pounds, maybe more. Look at that number and compare to what is on the truck's sticker for payload on the driver's door...the sticker with tire information, and it will tell you what you have available for payload.

2) Loading technique refers to how you load not only the trailer, but also the truck bed. Adding weight before and after the axle will play on handling too as much as adding gear to the front or rear of your trailer. Again, the key is to get 13% - 15% on the tongue when loading the trailer and then load the bed of the truck based on amount of gear, passengers, etc.

3) A proper WDH is a must for your TT and TV. You are pushing the maximum towing and payload every time you hook up...get a WDH and get to the CAT Scales to properly set up your TV and TV.

4) I would not recommend you adding a hitch to the back of the TT. I have my reasons...most of which is safety concern for fellow motorist...but you will most likely void your warranty on the trailer since it not made for towing and you will exceed the towing capability of your truck which is illegal.

5) Finally...I hate to come off as an *** but some of the things you have talked about are a tad bit scary and, not knowing the true weights of your trailer and truck makes me worry for not only your safety, but those who may encounter you on the highways. Please, learn some of the basics about towing and pulling trailers, how to set them up and how to safely tow what weights your are pulling and how they affect your truck, trailer and other items.

Thanks and good luck with everything...I only want you to be safe and enjoy your new rig and trailer!
Old 12-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Assuming that he hasn't changed out the tires, ST tires are rated for capacity at 65 mph. Over 65 mph and your weight rating decreases. If you have tires that are overrated for your weight, you can theoretically drive over 65 with them and still maintain an appropriate load rating.

That being said, it isn't the best idea to constantly drive faster than 65 when towing for a myriad of reasons. That is to each driver to find a comfortable compromise between speed and safety.

Here's a good video on setting up a WDH.

Please, some data to back up what you've said about ST tires. I have never read anywhere that weight has anything to do with tire speed. I highly doubt he changed his wheels to 16" to run ST tires as there are no 15" LT tires that will have the load capacity. He still has the stock 15"Jayco rims.

To the OP

Not using a WDH is absolutely irresponsible. 1st the TW without WD will exceed the receivers non WD rating. 2nd it's unsafe to not have any type of sway control with 31' of TT and the short WB Ram.

The OP needs to seriously look at what he's doing. Get it set up right. I can't believe the RV dealer let him leave the lot without any WD.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote