Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #1

My impression of the Andersen Ultimate on a short bed

For those that are considering this hitch:

Ordered mine on Amazon (aluminum gooseneck model) about a month ago and had the chance to put about 500 miles on it over the last weekend. I have to say I'm very impressed. For Reference I am towing with a 16' short bed Megacab and my trailer is a 16' Eagle HT (seems like all the Eagle HT's have the same front cap). You will notice in the photos that the trailer has the Reese Revolution pin box, but that feature is locked out so the pin box does not pivot and of course therefore is being used as a standard pinbox. Yes, silly me.....a new hitch wasn't necessary, however I was getting sick and tired of taking my 250# B&W RVK3600 in and out of the truck, just a total PITA!! I use my truck bed quite often.... So if anyone might be interested in the RVK3600 I have one to sell.

The setup tows very very smooth. Absolutely no noise, and no chucking. Trailer sits back a little further the it did when I was using the B&W, but I couldn't tell and if anything I had more walking room in between the trailer and tailgate. Some have mentioned that hitch can start to rotate in the bed, not the case with mine. After towing 500 miles, hitch hadn't budged. Also some had mentioned the need to re-torque top and side bolts. I made sure to check mine and none of them had loosened up. Top bold was torqued to 60#'s and the two side bolts were torqued to 40#'s (I will still continue to check before each departure and return). I am using the Curt ball and no problems with that either.

Cab clearance:
I don't think I'm quite a full 90 degrees in the pictures but more then I would ever need. In fact in one of the photos you can see how much torque is on the axles. I really try to not be in any positions where the trailer is jackknifed if I can help it.

Andersen ball is set to the middle hole and the trailer is no more nose high then then it was when I was using my B&W Companion.

mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #2

Nice setup. Thanks for the post! I am in the market for a new Pinnacle and was wondering if I could use the Anderson in my GMC 6-1/2 foot bed. I want to be able to take the hitch in/out by myself and I don't the want weight and expense of a slider. I just need to find out if the Pinnacle will provide as much clearance as your Eagle HT?
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
Nice setup. Thanks for the post! I am in the market for a new Pinnacle and was wondering if I could use the Anderson in my GMC 6-1/2 foot bed. I want to be able to take the hitch in/out by myself and I don't the want weight and expense of a slider. I just need to find out if the Pinnacle will provide as much clearance as your Eagle HT?
Just pulled up the 17' Pinnacle on Jayco's website. The front cap looks to have the same profile from what I can tell. If you need me to take any measurements from where the front baggage compartments are to where the front cap starts, let me know.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #4

Sub for reading later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

With the trailer set further back in the bed of the truck did you notice a difference while driving? Did the truck front end feel lighter while driving down the road?
Kevin O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

Any known stressors on the kingpin?

The biggest thing I hear is the lack of "plate" being a concern. Distribution across a flat plain (hitch plate) vs a single point (ball)

Old 12-26-2016, 01:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O. View Post
With the trailer set further back in the bed of the truck did you notice a difference while driving? Did the truck front end feel lighter while driving down the road?

I could not tell any difference vs when I was using the B&W/Revolution combo. I think overall it's offset about 7"? Wouldn't think that could make all that much difference as far as towing characteristics. Handled just as well from what I could tell.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post
Any known stressors on the kingpin?

The biggest thing I hear is the lack of "plate" being a concern. Distribution across a flat plain (hitch plate) vs a single point (ball)

No additional stressors that I'm aware of, but I'm not an engineer. I am a guy though that has scoured through lots of forums related to the Anderson ultimate hitch and have yet to find a single post where someone had an issue with the kingpin. Hope that helps [emoji51]

Old 12-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
No additional stressors that I'm aware of, but I'm not an engineer. I am a guy though that has scoured through lots of forums related to the Anderson ultimate hitch and have yet to find a single post where someone had an issue with the kingpin. Hope that helps [emoji51]

Sure does
Thank you

Old 12-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #10

I've been using the steel version of the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection for a couple of years now. I bought mine before the aluminum version was available.

I love it.

It's easy to hook up. I can see everything from the driver's seat in my truck. I just back under it and lower the jack.

It's easy to unhitch. It's just one twist of the lever and raise the jack.

It pulls great. It's smooth and easy.

If I had any complaint at all, it would be that I have to crawl in the bed of the truck to hook up the safety chains. It's debatable if the chains are really necessary with this hitch, but it's not that big of a deal to use them.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #11

All this talk makes me want on lol.

I am tired of the 250# B&W

Great hitch as we all know but gah is it heavy for one guy.

I went ahead and installed a winch in my garage to assist with the lift.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #12

I have had the Andersen Ultimate steel version for 3 yrs now and like it. Easy to remove, and install.
I did have it rotate slightly once when I first got it. I was backing the trailer over a curb at an angle and it rotated a couple inches. I ended up putting a rubber mat that I had laying around under it (cut a hole for the B&W ball). Has not moved at all since I started using the mat. My bed is not lined, I need to get a sprayed liner sometime soon, I think that would do the same as the rubber mat I use.
Turtle Tim is offline   Reply With Quote