Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

Need help.

I had a front bumper hitch receiver put on my 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel so I could carry two bikes. I had it removed when I got my new 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 and am just getting around to having it re-installed on my new truck. I find out yesterday that it will not fit my truck and cannot be jerry rigged to fit. I did some phoning around for a replacement with no luck. A couple of welding shops say they can make one up but for around 350 bucks and one even said they could make one up to fit the rear bumper of my 07 Jayco Eagle, but I have heard horror stories on this mod, and also they again quoted 350 bucks. Does anyone know where a person can find such a bolt on hitch that would fit my truck? Appreciate any help.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #2

IMO.... It's always best to mount a front receiver on the TV (your RAM Pickup), slide a "store bought" Bike rack into it. Thus, bike are transported in the TV's frontal area. Much better then installing a hitch on the rear of the TT - for a rear bike rack. Many say that a Vehicle's front is a softer ride, has much less "bounce" and one can keep an eye on their peddle bikes. On the rear of TTs (especially TT's over 20 ft), there's too much bounce. And if a peddle bike becomes loose, you cannot even see it.

$350 does sound expensive. Do shop around. I'm sure the smaller welding shops can create a front hitch for much less.

If you plan to keep your TV for many years, I'd only install a Front Mounted hitch. Or, put peddle bikes inside the TT (laying on the large bed). If your dream setup, I'd get a front hitch installed (instead of a "bouncy" rear hitch on the TT).

Hope this helps in your research....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

For pictures (of custom made front hitches), surf:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Camper/004.jpg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3-8WTk3Z9w87ZA

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...ZypG03gyry3zf1

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...ed4cu0pCAvhQIg -> this design is great.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/p...t_Receiver.JPG -> this design is great.

Before getting a custom front hitch (receiver) created / installed, I would buy the peddle bike rake first. And, provide the bike rack to the welding shop. Thus, they get its receiver bar snugly fitted and create enough clearance at the front of your Pickup. Too close to the front of your Pickup and the bike's handle bars might rub the TV's grill. Space between bike Rack and TV's Grill is very critical.

Hope this helps as well...
Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

As another suggestion, one can surf (read only) or perhaps join & post a "Front Hitch for Front Bike Rack?" question within:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...-only-f91.html

Someone on that large forum (for Dodge trucks) might know where to obtain a "store bought" front hitch for your RAM Pickup.

Good luck....

Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #5

We had a rack that attached to the front of our F-250 years ago. I liked carrying the bikes up front (the bug splats weren't fun though LOL). We used an adjustable rack that fit onto the rear of our car, but it worked well on the front of truck too.

I can't help you with the bolt, but here's an idea if you are still looking for what you need.... are you a member of a Dodge Ram 2500 (diesel) forum? google around and find a forum for your truck. I know that when we have questions about our truck, we invariably find the answers at the Ford 150 forum. Hope this helps some
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #6

Try
http://www.etrailer.com/
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I will check out all your posts and suggestions. I do not like the idea of having a rear mount on my 5th. I like to see my bikes to make sure they are not doing any damage to my equipment.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #8

I have seen bike racks mounted on the front of 5th wheels, on the hitch. It looked like they stood in the bed of the truck to load and unload them.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #9

I contacted Curt Manufacturing as they have a front hitch for 2010 Dodge Rams and newer on their website but they tell me that the hitch is still in Beta testing and won't be released for another month or so. I guess my bike will be wrapped and stored in my 5th wheel for my next trip. No prob.......